• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Well-Mannered Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Trump slammed Democratic rival Elijah Cummings' district which includes part of Baltimore as "a disgusting, rat and rodent infested mess." Called it far worse and more dangerous than the conditions on the US Southern Border and nobody wants to live there.

CNN Anchor and Baltimore native Victor Blackwell fired back at Trump saying how he lived there and there are people who are proud of their community.

Well if people are proud of their community, that's part of what's wrong with Baltimore. If they see nothing wrong that's a problem. Again, Trump speaks facts and Democrats hate the truth.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Trump slammed Democratic rival Elijah Cummings' district which includes part of Baltimore as "a disgusting, rat and rodent infested mess." Called it far worse and more dangerous than the conditions on the US Southern Border and nobody wants to live there.

CNN Anchor and Baltimore native Victor Blackwell fired back at Trump saying how he lived there and there are people who are proud of their community.

Well if people are proud of their community, that's part of what's wrong with Baltimore. If they see nothing wrong that's a problem. Again, Trump speaks facts and Democrats hate the truth.
Even you should be ashamed, not to mention the idiot you call a president.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Even you should be ashamed, not to mention the idiot you call a president.

All I'm saying is there are a lot of things wrong with Baltimore and Trump isn't wrong about it, the local politicians don't want to fix it. Trump is like any other President, he has his good and he has his bad. Unfortunately Trump also rears his ugly head way too much. I like he tells it like it is but that's when his ugly comes out more than anything.

If the Dems had a better candidate than Hillary, Trump wouldn't have won. If they think any of the candidates they are trotting out will have a better chance than Hillary, they are mistaken. Trump won't leave until 2024.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Elijah Cummings needs to be pointed out. He has run District 7 for 23 yrs and its been all downhill. Just look at the facts and the conditions and its just the hard truth. He keeps getting voted in so...…………..

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
Apparently conditions in Baltimore are more dangerous than the southern border. I am just waiting for the national emergency declaration and billions of federal funds to pour in then. The feds aren't even funding the howard street tunnel as much as they could be(a key rail bottleneck for the entire east coast). Trump isn't wrong that Baltimore is a mess but the only reason he brings it up is to make dems look bad and it really isn't hard to do with all their problems. If he really cared about Baltimore he would actually try to help. Would probably have a better idea of what the problems were too.

This is just him trying to score political points and nothing more, like Dems attacking education in largely red states. Unless you are willing to help, the only thing I see it as is whining.

Sorry for the rant but I have lived in the city and hate to see it's problems being used as a political prop. The national media as a whole(both sides) is clueless about the problems here and if they are just going to bitch and complain then they aren't really helping.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Apparently conditions in Baltimore are more dangerous than the southern border. I am just waiting for the national emergency declaration and billions of federal funds to pour in then. The feds aren't even funding the howard street tunnel as much as they could be(a key rail bottleneck for the entire east coast). Trump isn't wrong that Baltimore is a mess but the only reason he brings it up is to make dems look bad and it really isn't hard to do with all their problems. If he really cared about Baltimore he would actually try to help. Would probably have a better idea of what the problems were too.

This is just him trying to score political points and nothing more, like Dems attacking education in largely red states. Unless you are willing to help, the only thing I see it as is whining.

Sorry for the rant but I have lived in the city and hate to see it's problems being used as a political prop. The national media as a whole(both sides) is clueless about the problems here and if they are just going to [profanity deleted] and complain then they aren't really helping.

Do you know if this railroad is public or privately owned? If the fed govt ( they already pledging 125 mil but were asked for 228 mil ) would they get any credit or would the local politicians be pounding their own chests. Also with trying to help Balt school choice and vouchers could help but Dems fight it every step of the way.

Also with what I bolded and underlined is just not the case. Maybe try making the people that live there more aware. Most cities are terribly run in general and a lot of congresspeople are overly critical of the border patrol and the detention centers while their districts are in shambles. Seriously they gotta lot of nerve. DeBlasio saying Trump is not welcome in NY cuz he critiqued the way police officers are being treated there. Cities becoming sanctuary cities. These cities keep fighting Trump's policies but yet then turn around and say the fed govt is not doing enough. smh.

Last edited:

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
Do you know if this railroad is public or privately owned? If the fed govt ( they already pledging 125 mil but were asked for 228 mil ) would they get any credit or would the local politicians be pounding their own chests. Also with trying to help Balt school choice and vouchers could help but Dems fight it every step of the way.

Also with what I bolded and underlined is just not the case. Maybe try making the people that live there more aware. Most cities are terribly run in general and a lot of congresspeople are overly critical of the border patrol and the detention centers while their districts are in shambles. Seriously they gotta lot of nerve. DeBlasio saying Trump is not welcome in NY cuz he critiqued the way police officers are being treated there. Cities becoming sanctuary cities. These cities keep fighting Trump's policies but yet then turn around and say the fed govt is not doing enough. smh.

He brought up Baltimore to rag on a dem. That is the ONLY reason he brought it up. And anyone living in this city could rag on it better than him.

He said that it was worse than the border, that was worth a national emergency in his eyes. I am just asking why he hasn't declared a national emergency for Baltimore if it is so bad. I thought your whole schtick is that you care about american citizens more than illegal immigrants.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
I am happy Baltimpre is getting some attention on this, the city is a mess. But Trump isn't going to actually do anything. I'd be happy to be proven wrong but I am confident I won't be on this one. He will forget about it in a week and move onto the next controversy to distract the media.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Info on the Howard Street tunnel(for those of you who don't think the Sun is part of some massive anti-American conspiracy)
https://www.baltimoresun.com/busine...0190722-blx663jme5embio65e7jshfsga-story.html

And since we know how small a part of the budget $15 billion is from all you guys talking about the wall, we are talking about almost 150 times less than that. Think of the difference between a $1000 iphone and an $8 McDonalds meal.

Intersting. The Obama admin turns this project down in 2016. Then Hogan is ready to reapply and CSX drops out saying more public funds are needed. Then CSX comes back to the table with a lesser offer and Hogan reapplies in March of 2019 and the Trump admin grants them 125 mil and they're pieces of shit. Wow!!!

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimo...ct-grant-applications-for-port-covington.html

Its smart business just to get the ball rolling. Don't be surprized if more grant money is issued at a later date. More money should come from CSX and maybe even the privately owned ports that benefit from the tunnel expansion. Also other private donors could step in.

To get back to Cummings and him getting bashed by Trump. He got everything he deserved after the way he ripped into McAleenan with a bunch of bullshit allegations. Its not like Trump was lying. Screw political correctness the hard truth has to be said sometimes.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
Intersting. The Obama admin turns this project down in 2016. Then Hogan is ready to reapply and CSX drops out saying more public funds are needed. Then CSX comes back to the table with a lesser offer and Hogan reapplies in March of 2019 and the Trump admin grants them 125 mil and they're pieces of shit. Wow!!!

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimo...ct-grant-applications-for-port-covington.html

Its smart business just to get the ball rolling. Don't be surprized if more grant money is issued at a later date. More money should come from CSX and maybe even the privately owned ports that benefit from the tunnel expansion. Also other private donors could step in.

To get back to Cummings and him getting bashed by Trump. He got everything he deserved after the way he ripped into McAleenan with a bunch of bullshit allegations. Its not like Trump was lying. Screw political correctness the hard truth has to be said sometimes.

They have played their part as well, they have been a mess in Baltimore. But it would be nice if Republicans wanted to even pretend Baltimore existed outside the occasional comment about how bad it is. Heck if Hogan supported the Red Line that would have been something as well but we just had to have another metro line to follow I495 and the ICC down in DC. And the red line even had federal funding behind it(Back in 2015 when that stuff was going down). If Baltimore is 'far worse' than the border, then Trump needs to handle it with the same amount of urgency at least if not far more. I don't see any national emergencies being declared. I don't see any shutdowns happening. Where is the urgency? I thought you guys cared about American citizens, guess that is just campaign talk.

As for the Howard Street tunnel, here is an opportunity to actually get money funded towards something that needs it and they don't fund it fully. I mean if we are again 'far worse' than the southern border then it should be a national emergency. You would imagine that people would want to get a handle on the problem. That is kinda what you do in an emergency. And the Howard Street tunnel is not even the tip of the iceberg. Where is the federal funding then to help out with the police and infrastructure and public transportation? Did you hear about the massive sinkhole from a water main break that shut things down at Howard and Pratt? Even in Towson the water main breaks have been crazy. If things are so bad here then why not handle it with the same urgency as the border? I haven't even brought up the homicide rate.

And here is one thing Trump can certainly lend a hand with when he gets his restaurants up to snuff
https://www.newsweek.com/jared-kushners-company-faced-fines-and-code-violations-700180
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-pol-trump-restaurants-mice-health-20190207-story.html

But my main problem with Trump here is that if some guy from out of town starts ragging on where you live to score political points, you aren't going to like it. It doesn't matter if he is right. Frankly he isn't telling us things we don't already know. We live here. I can't think of a single person running around saying that Baltimore doesn't have big problems who lives here. But if the only reason you bring it up is to rag on someone else, it just comes off as whining to me. Even the dems who complain about Trump are actually doing stuff. Omar helped set up the 9/11 first responder bill that recently went through no thanks to Rand Paul and Mike Lee(speaking of, still waiting for Fox and Trump to lay into them, maybe I missed it). If Baltimore is worse than the southern border, I want the problem to be treated with the same amount of urgency, especially from the most powerful man in the free world.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
They have played their part as well, they have been a mess in Baltimore. But it would be nice if Republicans wanted to even pretend Baltimore existed outside the occasional comment about how bad it is. Heck if Hogan supported the Red Line that would have been something as well but we just had to have another metro line to follow I495 and the ICC down in DC. And the red line even had federal funding behind it(Back in 2015 when that stuff was going down). If Baltimore is 'far worse' than the border, then Trump needs to handle it with the same amount of urgency at least if not far more. I don't see any national emergencies being declared. I don't see any shutdowns happening. Where is the urgency? I thought you guys cared about American citizens, guess that is just campaign talk.

As for the Howard Street tunnel, here is an opportunity to actually get money funded towards something that needs it and they don't fund it fully. I mean if we are again 'far worse' than the southern border then it should be a national emergency. You would imagine that people would want to get a handle on the problem. That is kinda what you do in an emergency. And the Howard Street tunnel is not even the tip of the iceberg. Where is the federal funding then to help out with the police and infrastructure and public transportation? Did you hear about the massive sinkhole from a water main break that shut things down at Howard and Pratt? Even in Towson the water main breaks have been crazy. If things are so bad here then why not handle it with the same urgency as the border? I haven't even brought up the homicide rate.

And here is one thing Trump can certainly lend a hand with when he gets his restaurants up to snuff
https://www.newsweek.com/jared-kushners-company-faced-fines-and-code-violations-700180
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-pol-trump-restaurants-mice-health-20190207-story.html

But my main problem with Trump here is that if some guy from out of town starts ragging on where you live to score political points, you aren't going to like it. It doesn't matter if he is right. Frankly he isn't telling us things we don't already know. We live here. I can't think of a single person running around saying that Baltimore doesn't have big problems who lives here. But if the only reason you bring it up is to rag on someone else, it just comes off as whining to me. Even the dems who complain about Trump are actually doing stuff. Omar helped set up the 9/11 first responder bill that recently went through no thanks to Rand Paul and Mike Lee(speaking of, still waiting for Fox and Trump to lay into them, maybe I missed it). If Baltimore is worse than the southern border, I want the problem to be treated with the same amount of urgency, especially from the most powerful man in the free world.

Ok good lord here is the definition of a national emergency. Hopefully you can understand the diffrences between Balt and the protection of our southern border.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/national emergency

2nd of all Trump was comparing the conditions of the detention centers not the whole border situation. Cant you see that? He's coming back at what Cummings said who was talking about the detention facilities. Basically Baltimore is worse that the detention facilities.

You're way off the rails my friend.

Also btw Baltimore keep voting Democrat. They doing an outstanding job.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
Ok good lord here is the definition of a national emergency. Hopefully you can understand the diffrences between Balt and the protection of our southern border.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/national emergency

2nd of all Trump was comparing the conditions of the detention centers not the whole border situation. Cant you see that? He's coming back at what Cummings said who was talking about the detention facilities. Basically Baltimore is worse that the detention facilities.

You're way off the rails my friend.

So conditions in Baltimore are worse than detention facilities, I guess that makes everything better lol

02immi-1sub-jumbo.jpg

But if conditions in Baltimore are so bad, maybe you should head down to FedEx field for your football, don't want to risk conditions like this

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
So conditions in Baltimore are worse than detention facilities, I guess that makes everything better lol

02immi-1sub-jumbo.jpg

But if conditions in Baltimore are so bad, maybe you should head down to FedEx field for your football, don't want to risk conditions like this

baltimore.jpg

I guess they could be living here. Be better.

Lets be real Andrew. Whose fault is it for the overcrowding at our facilities. Trumps?? Or the left?

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
View attachment 1631

I guess they could be living here. Be better.

Lets be real Andrew. Whose fault is it for the overcrowding at our facilities. Trumps?? Or the left?

He called out the entire district and city but even if we are going to cherry pick examples, I'd rather live there for sure. But hey, let's say you are right. You guys are running on the platform that american citizens should be treated better than illegal immigrants. Then here is an opportunity to do something. You guys won't because frankly you don't care and are just using the misfortune of others to own the libs. But I'd love to be wrong.

If you think illegal immigration and the overcrowding is only due to actions of people in U.S. government, I think you have a lot you need to learn about it. But I'll be frank, if your only response to my arguments is to criticize the left, I think it tells us all we need to know about how bad both sides are. But I don't blame you, that is all they talk about on talk radio and Fox. I would know, I listen to that stuff too. I mean it isn't like those guys are going to hold each other accountable. Can you imagine the meltdown on Fox if Obama tweeted this?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1155240345585750016

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
He called out the entire district and city but even if we are going to cherry pick examples, I'd rather live there for sure. But hey, let's say you are right. You guys are running on the platform that american citizens should be treated better than illegal immigrants. Then here is an opportunity to do something. You guys won't because frankly you don't care and are just using the misfortune of others to own the libs. But I'd love to be wrong.

If you think illegal immigration and the overcrowding is only due to actions of people in U.S. government, I think you have a lot you need to learn about it. But I'll be frank, if your only response to my arguments is to criticize the left, I think it tells us all we need to know about how bad both sides are. But I don't blame you, that is all they talk about on talk radio and Fox. I would know, I listen to that stuff too. I mean it isn't like those guys are going to hold each other accountable. Can you imagine the meltdown on Fox if Obama tweeted this?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1155240345585750016

Well those responses were pretty interesting and you talk about talk radio and FOX. What are these people listening to lol. He never called immigrants animals. MS13 yes. Not immigrants. See the lies. No there is no such thing as left hand propaganda just "real" news.

For some reason you don't believe controlling illegal immigration actually helps American citizens. That's the part I don't get. Can I just not pay my taxes? Can I just "borrow" your car? I believe in the rule of law!! Does anybody even know what asylum is supposed to be?

Lets see the left want to offer free housing,healthcare and education to illegal immigrants. I mean they all raised their hands right. So who should I blame again? Just by slowing this down helps the American against overcrowding which gets them better service. The American would be getting more bang for their tax money but lets move along. In your world the federal govt should just throw tax money at situations that are caused by local govts. High taxes and wasteful spending shouldn't always have to be corrected from people that live in Kansas lets say. You act like every problem should be fixed by the federal govt becuz you know its for the American citizen. How bout some damn accountability from the local govts and the voters that vote them in. I already proved to you Trumps admin helped Balt and Obama's didn't and you mad. Go figger. The transportation dept is only allotted a certain amount of money and we have 50 states to worry about.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
Well those responses were pretty interesting and you talk about talk radio and FOX. What are these people listening to lol. He never called immigrants animals. MS13 yes. Not immigrants. See the lies. No there is no such thing as left hand propaganda just "real" news.

For some reason you don't believe controlling illegal immigration actually helps American citizens. That's the part I don't get. Can I just not pay my taxes? Can I just "borrow" your car? I believe in the rule of law!! Does anybody even know what asylum is supposed to be?

Lets see the left want to offer free housing,healthcare and education to illegal immigrants. I mean they all raised their hands right. So who should I blame again? Just by slowing this down helps the American against overcrowding which gets them better service. The American would be getting more bang for their tax money but lets move along. In your world the federal govt should just throw tax money at situations that are caused by local govts. High taxes and wasteful spending shouldn't always have to be corrected from people that live in Kansas lets say. You act like every problem should be fixed by the federal govt becuz you know its for the American citizen. How bout some damn accountability from the local govts and the voters that vote them in. I already proved to you Trumps admin helped Balt and Obama's didn't and you mad. Go figger. The transportation dept is only allotted a certain amount of money and we have 50 states to worry about.

Yeah if you want to point to where exactly I mentioned MS13 and being against controlling illegal immigration I'd greatly appreciate it. Also I am pretty sure I talked a good deal about my thoughts on immigration a few pages back. Maybe the link to the tweet didn't work? Can you point to me where Obama started sending out tweets like this one I have quoted for you?

NO COLLUSION, NO OBSTRUCTION, TOTAL EXONERATION. DEMOCRAT WITCH HUNT!

I am going to start again from the top since the subject has been changed to the point that we are all jumbled up. My points:

1. Trump is only bringing up Baltimore for political points and will have some new tweet to anger the media for next week.

2. Trump and you talk a big game about how you will treat American citizens better than illegal immigrants. Here we are with Baltimore having far worse conditions according to Trump and you. If Trump wants to show he is committed to such promises, turning things around would be a good place to start. I brought up a couple things he could do if he was so inclined. There are more homicides in Baltimore this year than New York, we could use the help. But refer back to point 1 for my thoughts on if anything happens.

3. Calling an entire congressional district and city worse than a detention facility is factually inaccurate and if you are that afraid of Baltimore, I'd recommend for your own good that you just don't come here.

4. Fox and talk radio only know how to attack the left and don't hold the right accountable(similar to the media on the left). The right is only about half the problem but I think we are in a feedback cycle where the bar is getting lower and lower and it is largely driven by both of these sides. Without Trump I don't think AOC and Omar are in office.

5. Don't rag on a city if you haven't lived there and aren't going to do anything to fix their problems.

From now on, I'll just refer back to these. If you have a problem with any of these points then ask for clarification.

Also I'd really love to rag on the Dems a bit more in this thread but no one here is defending AOC or Omar or any of them so it would just be a waste of time. I will use them if they did something good that a Republican didn't do because there really is no excuse for that. People on here DO seem to really get triggered if anything bad is said about Trump though. So that is what most of these arguments come to.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
Forgot to mention

6. If Baltimore is more dangerous than the southern border then that means a national emergency should be declared by the definition used above.

Status
Not open for further replies.