• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Well-Mannered Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
There's a town in New Hampshire called Keene, with a population of 23,000 - which is around the population of Levin, where I lived.

The police there have a Bearcat (which they got by citing their pumpkin festival as a terrorism target).

Demilitarising the police should be a priority for this poorly named "defund the police" campaign - which has more to do with giving police appropriate jobs and the appropriate gear for those jobs.

The thought of police in Levin having an armoured personnel carrier is legitimately mind-blowing to me. No wonder that country has so much dysfunction.
If that was a movie, it would actually be funny.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
i understand why he was arrested because he'd clearly been driving but there's literally no reason he should have been shot in the back while resisting

this isnt just about innocent people being killed, it's about any people being killed unnecessarily

rayshard brooks should not be dead right now
That's the entire point. Police murdered another person.

JO_75

Hall of Famer

Another wrong narrative. He shouldn't be dead, but the fact this guy is using the narrative he was parked is what's wrong with news today. He was already intoxicated and behind the wheel driving, how do you think he got to the Wendy's? The officer told him to move the car, in which he started to fall asleep again from drinking too much, and he finally moved it after the officer had to tell him more than once. It's quite crazy they didn't just arrest him sooner, he didn't even know where he was. He kept saying he was in an area that the officer explained was much farther away. Officers need to be trained to not reach for their gun unless the suspect has a gun, and clearly by the fact these incidents are still happening tells me the people training these officers are racist and tell them to treat minorities differently.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Another football player who hates anyone who disagrees with his opinion. Apparently one of the offensive lineman tweeted support for him but yeah good going blasting the coach on Twitter and not calling to talk privately. I guess if the coach wore a CNN shirt it would have been ok because they support his views, right? The further we dig into this hole of "You must agree with my opinion and support everything I do" mess, free speech will die off. The left want that anyway... so if they win elections, free speech in America will be gone.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Another wrong narrative. He shouldn't be dead, but the fact this guy is using the narrative he was parked is what's wrong with news today. He was already intoxicated and behind the wheel driving, how do you think he got to the Wendy's? The officer told him to move the car, in which he started to fall asleep again from drinking too much, and he finally moved it after the officer had to tell him more than once. It's quite crazy they didn't just arrest him sooner, he didn't even know where he was. He kept saying he was in an area that the officer explained was much farther away. Officers need to be trained to not reach for their gun unless the suspect has a gun, and clearly by the fact these incidents are still happening tells me the people training these officers are racist and tell them to treat minorities differently.

the problem with this is not the pretence that he's innocent per se but that people feel the need to demonstrate that he's innocent to justify being angry about him being dead

you're absolutely right that even guilty people should not die

its a narrative problem because too often people say you shouldnt be resisting - but resisting arrest is not a crime punishable by death

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Another football player who hates anyone who disagrees with his opinion. Apparently one of the offensive lineman tweeted support for him but yeah good going blasting the coach on Twitter and not calling to talk privately. I guess if the coach wore a CNN shirt it would have been ok because they support his views, right? The further we dig into this hole of "You must agree with my opinion and support everything I do" mess, free speech will die off. The left want that anyway... so if they win elections, free speech in America will be gone.

I think its perfectly reasonable for him to have a problem with his coach repping a news network that is consistently peddling false narratives about black americans, black america and black lives matter - especially in the current climate it couldnt be more of a stupid and ignorant move

its also perfectly reasonable to refuse to play for someone who's opinions you find damaging and problematic - he wasnt saying Gundy should be fired or suspended - he was saying that he personally could not play for someone who projects those sorts of opinions

think its also interesting that justice hill came out immediately and supported him too - there's a sense that the behind the scenes culture at Oklahoma State is problematic too - this may well just be the straw that broke the camel's back for Hubbard

he's not asking Gundy to agree with him on everything - but civil rights issues and stances on civil rights are non-negotiable for many people

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Why "smh"? You don't agree?
No I don't agree at all. You're automatically labeled as conspiracy theorist if you have an opinion that stands at odds with mainstream.
This is not how freedom of speech works. Regardless of whether or not you like these news websites.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
No I don't agree at all. You're automatically labeled as conspiracy theorist if you have an opinion that stands at odds with mainstream.
This is not how freedom of speech works. Regardless of whether or not you like these news websites.
They deliberately promoted hate and misinformation to rack up ad money. You call that free speech?

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
They deliberately promoted hate and misinformation to rack up ad money. You call that free speech?
I know who's behind zerohedge. Their finance articles are bearish I know but you're telling me to demonetize them because of that? You could ban a lot of newspapers because they spread misinformation.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I know who's behind zerohedge. Their finance articles are bearish I know but you're telling me to demonetize them because of that? You could ban a lot of newspapers because they spread misinformation.
Yes, you could. Probably should until they start doing what they're supposed to in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.