• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offseason Thread

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
visited the skins message board to see how messed up the skins fans are. Of course I already know that ^_^
That ain't a transgression LMAO. After all, it's part of your everlasting feud with that collective group of individuals (they ain't an organization and we should NOT address them as such).

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
That ain't a transgression LMAO. After all, it's part of your everlasting feud with that collective group of individuals (they ain't an organization and we should NOT address them as such).
lol, I'm also the Baltimore Ravens on that message boards Forum Mock.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
He’s low, the shoulders are pointed to the throw, he’s throwing with a lot more body.

Hoping that translates to the season in pressure moments

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
How much emphasis will be placed on getting Lamar under center with more regularity?
Personally I think under center takes away a lot of what makes him effective. The run game is much more effective when you have 2 or 3 potential run threats and freezes defenses, the run game is more threatening there and opens up the pass, while simultaneously it makes passing easier and gives lamar better pre snap vision and allows it all to fire quicker.

Honestly I see no reason to place emphasis on under center snaps, the main reason for it is to disguise intentions and make defenses question run or pass, but we run from the gun better than any team in recent history so what’s the point?

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Personally I think under center takes away a lot of what makes him effective. The run game is much more effective when you have 2 or 3 potential run threats and freezes defenses, the run game is more threatening there and opens up the pass, while simultaneously it makes passing easier and gives lamar better pre snap vision and allows it all to fire quicker.

Honestly I see no reason to place emphasis on under center snaps, the main reason for it is to disguise intentions and make defenses question run or pass, but we run from the gun better than any team in recent history so what’s the point?
I am going to respectfully disagree flex. We cannot allow ourselves to be read that way. He HAS to be comfortable under center and dropping back. The RPO and quarterback reads may freeze linebackers but a developed play action from under center will absolutely suck them up and open the middle of the field.
This further underscores why we cannot simply hold still with our OLINE personnel. We need guys that are athletic, yes....but we must find guys who can flat out move the guy across from them.....either drive them or turn them. Once we establish this at the center/guard positions, the traditional set becomes so much more a weapon. Constantly running boots off the give is an easy place to start(outside of a straight give).

from that you run back side scrapes and pulls to tight ends, have Lamar keep and wall protection to a side, etc......then if he develops the ability to drop WHILE that new line protects him....a defense won't know how to prepare. think of how multiple this makes us. Im not saying we get away from the gn or that it isn't an absolute mainstay. But if you can set up under center two or tree drives a game.....sprinkle it in....and you can run out of either. Well, that is a handful.

Last edited:

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I am going to respectfully disagree flex. We cannot allow ourselves to be read that way. He HAS to be comfortable under center and dropping back. The RPO and quarterback reads may freeze linebackers but a developed play action from under center will absolutely suck them up and open the middle of the field.
This further underscores why we cannot simply hold still with our OLINE personnel. We need guys that are athletic, yes....but we must find guys who can flat out move the guy across from them.....either drive them or turn them. Once we establish this at the center/guard positions, the traditional set becomes so much more a weapon. Constantly running boots off the give is an easy place to start(outside of a straight give).

from that you run back side scrapes and pulls to tight ends, have Lamar keep and wall protection to a side, etc......then if he develops the ability to drop WHILE that new line protects him....a defense won't know how to prepare. think of how multiple this makes us. Im not saying we get away from the gn or that it isn't an absolute mainstay. But if you can set up under center two or tree drives a game.....sprinkle it in....and you can run out of either. Well, that is a handful.
I'd like us to do the same thing McVay did. They have used play action everytime Goff was under center and dropped back to pass. It frees up so much space it's unbelievable. Obviously it has worked great so far because of Gurley's effectivness.
However I think people overestimate being under center, the passing games is evolving into a quick and short passing game. That's what makes the shotgun/pistol more efficient.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Oh I agree that he’s always gotta be comfortable, and that’s includes under center, but I think what makes us effective is literally the threat of multiple RBs, a jet, or lamar running. Now I’ll admit I didn’t consider boots and waggles which is one of my favorite plays to run with a mobile qb, so I’m dumb for that, but yeah obviously you want him to be comfortable under center I’m just saying that doesn’t feel like it should be a focal point

I'm from Cali so I've seen my share of Raider games. Never really paid attention to Roberts specifically but from just off the top of my head... I kinda feel like Seth Roberts = Willie Snead.