• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 Forum Mock: Discussion Thread

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
I've been touting PFF as a viable resource for a decade now, and I feel like their NFL grades, when given individual context, allow for significantly easier assessments and projections. But their scouting content. Where do I start? As far as their understanding of translatable traits and comprehension of when a good on-paper result is quantifiably bad tape, they are alarmingly rudimentary in those respects. I've watched videos wherein they described a play wherein a college center came close to losing against his assignment but held on just enough not to lose the rep, and they qualified it as a positive overall net in favor of the center as a prospect. They do offer fresh takes, and I feel like their grades are a good source after you've viewed the tape in order to assist with assessing the sustainability what you've just seen. But the more I watch their videos, the less confident I am in their scouting material.

Simba

Staff Member
I've been touting PFF as a viable resource for a decade now, and I feel like their NFL grades, when given individual context, allow for significantly easier assessments and projections. But their scouting content. Where do I start? As far as their understanding of translatable traits and comprehension of when a good on-paper result is quantifiably bad tape, they are alarmingly rudimentary in those respects. I've watched videos wherein they described a play wherein a college center came close to losing against his assignment but held on just enough not to lose the rep, and they qualified it as a positive overall net in favor of the center as a prospect. They do offer fresh takes, and I feel like their grades are a good source after you've viewed the tape in order to assist with assessing the sustainability what you've just seen. But the more I watch their videos, the less confident I am in their scouting material.

Yeah PFF scouting is the worst. Try to make it more about the grades than the traits, which makes sense considering their business. Their mocks are laughable, though.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah PFF scouting is the worst. Try to make it more about the grades than the traits, which makes sense considering their business. Their mocks are laughable, though.
I feel somewhat bad for the call out given that I've been wrong too. But I do feel that I'm attempting to view the pictures through a more accurate lens. As you've said, it makes sense that they are more focused on the results because they've gotten this far with them. But there has to be a better understanding that projecting from one NFL team to another is an entirely different beast than projecting from a college team to an NFL team. You have to, one, identify translatable traits, and two, be able to catch them on tape. They simply don't do that enough.

To this day, they still refer to being weary of being overly down on prospects with low grades because of Deion Jones, but they've not alluded to why, and I don't know if they've fully caught onto that yet. They had him as an undraftable prospect. Now sure, they deserve credit for getting some right otherwise. They weren't quite as high on Darron Lee. I was right there with them. But Jones was one of my favorite prospects in that class. I sat there in horror for a few months because one side had to be incredibly wrong, and I feared that it would fall on me. Lo and behold, Jones turns in a rookie season worthy of DRoY consideration. I hope they improve, but I have my doubts.

Simba

Staff Member
I feel somewhat bad for the call out given that I've been wrong too. But I do feel that I'm attempting to view the pictures through a more accurate lens. As you've said, it makes sense that they are more focused on the results because they've gotten this far with them. But there has to be a better understanding that projecting from one NFL team to another is an entirely different beast than projecting from a college team to an NFL team. You have to, one, identify translatable traits, and two, be able to catch them on tape. They simply don't do that enough.

To this day, they still refer to being weary of being overly down on prospects with low grades because of Deion Jones, but they've not alluded to why, and I don't know if they've fully caught onto that yet. They had him as an undraftable prospect. Now sure, they deserve credit for getting some right otherwise. They weren't quite as high on Darron Lee. I was right there with them. But Jones was one of my favorite prospects in that class. I sat there in horror for a few months because one side had to be incredibly wrong, and I feared that it would fall on me. Lo and behold, Jones turns in a rookie season worthy of DRoY consideration. I hope they improve, but I have my doubts.

They’d do really well to find an employee or two to look at it from more of a scouting eye. Use the numbers to support the stance, not create the stance. They do too much of the latter.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
They’d do really well to find an employee or two to look at it from more of a scouting eye. Use the numbers to support the stance, not create the stance. They do too much of the latter.
Exactly right. By the way, I have a feeling that you might actually take one of my guys shortly.

I confirm my intention to terminate my UDFA activity. I literally finished the names on the list and will now get a last look at some prospects before Christmas time comes.
Thank you all guys, especially @Truth @RavensMania @Simba who helped up with the selections and kept all this elaborate machine working for one more season!

And I totally agree with you guys about PFF. They are far from a serious source when it comes to analysing prospects as they put together a few nice plays without explaining more than what you can see.
I find the (cough) 'steelersdepot' to do a much better job tbh, as they highlight pros cons both with the support of gifs and a more detailed discussion about traits

Simba

Staff Member
I went a little risky with this group.

We all know the issues with Preston Williams. The talent is there but I'm not sure the head is. The testing numbers weren't great, but he also mailed it in, which is another issue in and of itself. I'll take a chance on the guy in UDFA in hopes that someone will get ahold of him and fix it.

Worthington has his own red flags after a suspension a couple of years back, and reported issues with coaching. He's another talented player that I'm hoping some team will take and fix. He can play both S spots, so no harm in taking a shot on him as well.

Wyatt Ray is what he is. He's not super explosive or athletic, but gets the job done. I don't see him as anything more than a rotational guy, but I'll take that in UDFA considering I was not a fan of the late round pass rusher options.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
I went a little risky with this group.

We all know the issues with Preston Williams. The talent is there but I'm not sure the head is. The testing numbers weren't great, but he also mailed it in, which is another issue in and of itself. I'll take a chance on the guy in UDFA in hopes that someone will get ahold of him and fix it.

Worthington has his own red flags after a suspension a couple of years back, and reported issues with coaching. He's another talented player that I'm hoping some team will take and fix. He can play both S spots, so no harm in taking a shot on him as well.

Wyatt Ray is what he is. He's not super explosive or athletic, but gets the job done. I don't see him as anything more than a rotational guy, but I'll take that in UDFA considering I was not a fan of the late round pass rusher options.
Told you that you would take my guy. I had a strange sense that you would take Ray here. I was also considering Williams.

Simba

Staff Member
Told you that you would take my guy. I had a strange sense that you would take Ray here. I was also considering Williams.

Good call lol. I was actually considering him with my 1st UDFA signing, but I kept talking myself out of it in favor of other guys. I figured this late in the process, I might as well pull the trigger with 6 players joining the team in a short timeframe.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Good call lol. I was actually considering him with my 1st UDFA signing, but I kept talking myself out of it in favor of other guys. I figured this late in the process, I might as well pull the trigger with 6 players joining the team in a short timeframe.
I've had him on my list of targets since the 6th but I had a tough time figuring out where the sweet spot was. At least if he does well, I can say that I had my eye on him too. Good signings.

Simba

Staff Member
I've had him on my list of targets since the 6th but I had a tough time figuring out where the sweet spot was. At least if he does well, I can say that I had my eye on him too. Good signings.

If it makes you feel better, out of the entirety of UDFA, Ugo Amadi was the only guy taken (so far) by someone else that I had decently high on my list.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
If it makes you feel better, out of the entirety of UDFA, Ugo Amadi was the only guy taken (so far) by someone else that I had decently high on my list.
Definitely does. Always helps to know when you're not the only one high on a prospect. Grants a sense of relief. I do feel that I uncharacteristically took him based in large part due to outside evaluations, and I'm not a fan of doing so, but there's promise in his tape. And to your point, this UDFA period has been interesting in that I've only lost less than a handful of targets to other teams. Could be in part, however, due to me still scouting on the fly and being behind.

Simba

Staff Member
Question - since Sandtown was technically skipped last night/this morning and has a skip in the draft, is he on a 3 hour clock? Can't remember if we carried forward the 2 skip rule into UDFA or not.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Question - since Sandtown was technically skipped last night/this morning and has a skip in the draft, is he on a 3 hour clock? Can't remember if we carried forward the 2 skip rule into UDFA or not.
Excellent question. I'd say it probably should carry over, but I don't have strong feelings either way.

Simba

Staff Member
Excellent question. I'd say it probably should carry over, but I don't have strong feelings either way.

I'm good with whatever. Only 6 of us left, but only a little over a day technically until the draft starts, which is the goal. Should be more than fine I would assume, but no guarantees.

Simba

Staff Member
Skip was technically a couple of minutes ago if we're carrying over. I'll give it another hour or so before I pick unless there's opposition.