• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, the Ugly and the Crazy @ Chiefs

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Jamison Hensley
@jamisonhensley

Ravens safety Tony Jefferson on what happened on 83-yard TD allowed: “Easy stuff that we can fix. I’ll take the blame for that one.”
8:31 AM · Sep 23, 2019

TJ has the same answer after every game. Tell us just when do you guys plan on fixing easy stuff?

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I came across this site a few weeks ago and initially looked like one of those million "Daniel's Sports Blog" that are dime a dozen across the internet but it actually reminds me more of Grantland ([profanity deleted] you ESPN) and I've been fairly impressed by its content.

Here's their take on us going for it so often and the broad thought process behind it. It looks like we can expect to see a lot more aggression going forward (for better or worse).
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...baltimore-ravens-kansas-city-chiefs-analytics
Seems like analytics is becoming popular in Baltimore. Hopefully it works out for the Orioles and Ravens.

GG.exe

Practice Squad
Lamar was woeful today with his medium-to-deep passing. So many missed TDs, so many stalled drives to overthrown passes. His accuracy is a real concern. I just dont think all these arm-slinging wrist-flicking passing mechanics of today are good. QBs are getting lazy.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Hey everyone,

You've noticed I'm not as active as I've been, don't worry it's nothing wrong, just not in the mood for forum talk especially now that I've gotten on Twitter recently. Anyway, since y'all can't live without having my opinion (I know you can't, no need to argue), here are some thoughts without having read anyhting, just saw the game:

*Before anything Harbs was just awful. Made recklessly stupid decisions one after the other, poorly managed the clock, abandonned the run after a very successful first drive, didn't throw flags to challenge clear fouls or poor DPI calls. Pick yourself up.

*Defense got abused, and more than anyone the LBs for whom I was so hopeful during the offseason. I thought Peanut would be an upgrade in coverage over Mosley, he's been completely clueless so far and Kelce showed it to the world. This one is very concerning for the future.

*I didn't get to analyze every call but officiating pretty much seemed to screw us big time on that one. I absolutely don't accept the DPI call on Jefferson negating Carr's INT.

*Lamar was frustrating. I thought he tried to do too much and his refusal to call for his WRs not named Hollywood are clearer every week. I thought he panicked, his throws didn't have the touch they had against MIA, which would have secured less overthrown balls. He also showed why he's one of the most dangerous persons in the AFC. I don't worry, I just hope they can all relax and get some chemistry back.

*I don't need to advocate for Ingram, he's been fantastic, no surprise there. I really think Gus should be used more and earlier in the game. He's a much better player this year and he's hurt this defense a lot today too. He's improved a lot as a receiver which makes him a very viable avery down back. The more RB you have, the fresher they will be when you call their number.

In conclusion, we lost a game against a generationnal QB at home in the beginning of the season. Things could be much worse. A season is long, the OL must fix some issue, Lamar must clean some mistakes, Harbs must focus, Wink must get his unit back on track. Future still looks bright, the division is still ours to lose. Let's go Ravens

ALI624

Pro Bowler
I know that a lot of people want Ramsey, including me, but I think he is going to cost too much or they will not be willing to trade him. I would call up Tampa Bay and ask about VH3.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know that a lot of people want Ramsey, including me, but I think he is going to cost too much or they will not be willing to trade him. I would call up Tampa Bay and ask about VH3.

Both Ramsay and Humphrey cost about 17m per year in contract and in terms of picks I think the deal floated is fair for both sides.

ALI624

Pro Bowler
Both Ramsay and Humphrey cost about 17m per year in contract and in terms of picks I think the deal floated is fair for both sides.
Hurst a 1st a 2nd and a 3rd right. That’s a lot to trade.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
National media already deciding Lamar looked like he did last year and conveniently ignoring what actually happened on the field

Yes he missed some deep throws - he went 3/12 on throws 20+ yards but he didn’t have open receivers or time in the pocket on a consistent basis

So some media has jumped off the train already... good - don’t want everyone on the train with us

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
  • Chiefs were the better team yesterday and deserved to win, however, we mostly shot ourselves in the foot with mistakes and costly penalties. Some of those penalties were complete BS, but we need to clean it up going forward. We aren't going to beat teams like KC if we keep handicapping ourselves like we did yesterday.
  • It was good to see Hurst get more targets in the passing game. If Lamar wasn't woefully inconsistent yesterday then he could have had a big game and if we can get Hurst on track along with Andrews then it's going to make our offense even more hard to deal with.
  • Where has Boykin gone now that the pre-season is over? I wasn't expecting him to light the world on fire or anything, but I expected him to at least contribute a few big catches by now. Someone else needs to step up at WR that's not Hollywood or Snead...
  • The defense needs to sort out the communication issues and mental errors. We're giving up way too many big plays right now and if we pull that shit again on Sunday then the Browns are going to eat us alive. Jimmy can't come back soon enough (unless we get Ramsey).
  • Gus Bus needs more carries. Ingram is a beast and I love how he's running the ball, but Gus looks even better than he did last year and should be more involved. Also, I've barely seen Justice Hill on the field as well which makes no sense to me when he's our most dangerous RB.
  • This loss definitely feels a lot better now that the rest of the AFCN lost this week. We're still atop the division and we can start to pad our lead if we take care of business against the Browns at home.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Mahomes is definitely in the running to be the next Tom Brady. He's a giant cry baby. Great player. Giant entitled cry baby. Judon chirps in his face after his sack on the first drive. Instantly Mahomes goes to the ref pointing back at Judon as if to say to the teacher...."he's taunting me..." make him stop.
On the "horse collar " penalty, Judon gets off the ground, is celebrating with Williams. The ref is clearly in frame with no intention of throwing a flag...hands to his side and walking. Mahomes cries and the flag comes out....very very late. The ref saw no penalty but acquiesced at Mahomes prompting.

Seems like analytics is becoming popular in Baltimore. Hopefully it works out for the Orioles and Ravens.

I guess the good news is that we could replace Harbs with a statistician and get the same results. Lol. I’m all for analytics but in the case of going for 2 to win instead of tie, I think it’s a stretch to say that it was a good idea statistically, given the way his defense was playing. And those are the things that statistics don’t tell you real time. Especially when the analytics tell you that you only have a “slightly better chance of winning” by going for 2. I can’t remember ever seeing this by any other coach in any game that I’ve ever watched.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hey everyone,

You've noticed I'm not as active as I've been, don't worry it's nothing wrong, just not in the mood for forum talk especially now that I've gotten on Twitter recently. Anyway, since y'all can't live without having my opinion (I know you can't, no need to argue), here are some thoughts without having read anyhting, just saw the game:

*Before anything Harbs was just awful. Made recklessly stupid decisions one after the other, poorly managed the clock, abandonned the run after a very successful first drive, didn't throw flags to challenge clear fouls or poor DPI calls. Pick yourself up.

*Defense got abused, and more than anyone the LBs for whom I was so hopeful during the offseason. I thought Peanut would be an upgrade in coverage over Mosley, he's been completely clueless so far and Kelce showed it to the world. This one is very concerning for the future.

*I didn't get to analyze every call but officiating pretty much seemed to screw us big time on that one. I absolutely don't accept the DPI call on Jefferson negating Carr's INT.

*Lamar was frustrating. I thought he tried to do too much and his refusal to call for his WRs not named Hollywood are clearer every week. I thought he panicked, his throws didn't have the touch they had against MIA, which would have secured less overthrown balls. He also showed why he's one of the most dangerous persons in the AFC. I don't worry, I just hope they can all relax and get some chemistry back.

*I don't need to advocate for Ingram, he's been fantastic, no surprise there. I really think Gus should be used more and earlier in the game. He's a much better player this year and he's hurt this defense a lot today too. He's improved a lot as a receiver which makes him a very viable avery down back. The more RB you have, the fresher they will be when you call their number.

In conclusion, we lost a game against a generationnal QB at home in the beginning of the season. Things could be much worse. A season is long, the OL must fix some issue, Lamar must clean some mistakes, Harbs must focus, Wink must get his unit back on track. Future still looks bright, the division is still ours to lose. Let's go Ravens
Welcome back.
I don't think Harbaugh's decisions to go for it on 4th down or the 3 2pt conversions were wrong per se. They actually made sense from an analytical point of view. @Inqui posted an article which support harbs decision and pff also made comments about it. The execution and play design were awful. Those play calls made no sense

One thing i want to add is the use of Justice Hill. We've finally got ourselves a nice weapon out of the backfield and we aren't even using him (the right way).
I thought Peanut is better in coverage because of his college experience as S and he was quite a ballhawk.

We might need to bench Jefferson he gets exposed too much when he's in coverage. Or Wink stops interchanging Thomas with Jefferson. It's time for Elliott!

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Mahomes is definitely in the running to be the next Tom Brady. He's a giant cry baby. Great player. Giant entitled cry baby. Judon chirps in his face after his sack on the first drive. Instantly Mahomes goes to the ref pointing back at Judon as if to say to the teacher...."he's taunting me..." make him stop.
On the "horse collar " penalty, Judon gets off the ground, is celebrating with Williams. The ref is clearly in frame with no intention of throwing a flag...hands to his side and walking. Mahomes cries and the flag comes out....very very late. The ref saw no penalty but acquiesced at Mahomes prompting.

I was saying the exact same thing lmao. He's the new Tom Brady!!

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Welcome back.
I don't think Harbaugh's decisions to go for it on 4th down or the 3 2pt conversions were wrong per se. They actually made sense from an analytical point of view. @Inqui posted an article which support harbs decision and pff also made comments about it. The execution and play design were awful. Those play calls made no sense

One thing i want to add is the use of Justice Hill. We've finally got ourselves a nice weapon out of the backfield and we aren't even using him (the right way).
I thought Peanut is better in coverage because of his college experience as S and he was quite a ballhawk.

We might need to bench Jefferson he gets exposed too much when he's in coverage. Or Wink stops interchanging Thomas with Jefferson. It's time for Elliott!

Maybe a little less Chuck Clark but yeah enough with the cute shit. Put Earl in centerfield and leave him there. We don't need him around the los. A single high safety that lines up about 20 yds deep.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Welcome back.

Couldn’t agree more. I didn’t mind the decision to go for 2 but I did mind the execution and specifically the play call made. All of them were pretty bad calls and that’s not because of hindsight. When you’re on the 1 you don’t run Jackson out to the left with a moving line but you should’ve pushed Edwards up the gut with multiple TE in there as a bailout option to throw it something is seen. You have Ricard as the FB for Edwards on that play with where we were and our success up the middle and we may have converted those 2PT

Charm City

Pro Bowler
I came across this site a few weeks ago and initially it looked like one of those million "Daniel's Sports Blog" sites that are dime a dozen across the internet but it actually reminds me more of Grantland ([profanity deleted] you ESPN) and I've been fairly impressed by its content.

Here's their take on us going for it so often and the broad thought process behind it. It looks like we can expect to see a lot more aggression going forward (for better or worse).
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...baltimore-ravens-kansas-city-chiefs-analytics
Bill Simmons who worked on Grantland also works on The Ringer. He has a really good podcast and they recently brought on Ryan Rusillo to do a podcast as well. They've had a lot of Lamar commentary recently

Marquise Brown looks so good. Like easily the best receiver we’ve ever drafted. He would have had a much better game statically if Lamar wasn’t so off yesterday.