• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: vs Bengals

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
in a combined 138 games Brandon Williams and Michael pierce have a combined

8.5 career sacks.

that is ridiculously bad.
If their jobs were to actually get to the QB, I'd be unimpressed with these numbers. But it really doesn't mean anything.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
If their jobs were to actually get to the QB, I'd be unimpressed with these numbers. But it really doesn't mean anything.

I refuse to believe that these two are not on passing downs. They have been the staple of our interior D and i'm sorry...just by sheer default 8.5 sacks combined in 138 games ?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I refuse to believe that these two are not on passing downs. They have been the staple of our interior D and i'm sorry...just by sheer default 8.5 sacks combined in 138 games ?
their main objective is to stop the run and that is a fact, but you don't really pay too much attention. It's quite obvious, based on these posts.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
You can refuse to believe anything you want. I can only lead the horse to water... its up to you whether you want to drown yourself in ignorance or not.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
their main objective is to stop the run and that is a fact, but you don't really pay too much attention. It's quite obvious, based on these posts.

Yeah that's their ''objective'' but even run stuffers can/have do more than that pitiful tally.

How about chris wormley? his job to ''stuff the run''

is that all D linesman are meant to do in baltimore

stuff the run and not get sacks?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah that's their ''objective'' but even run stuffers can/have do more than that pitiful tally.

How about chris wormley? his job to ''stuff the run''

is that all D linesman are meant to do in baltimore

stuff the run and not get sacks?
The Ravens run the two gap technique. A two gap technique requires more discipline on the part of the defender. A defensive lineman is responsible for both the A and B gaps on his side of the field. His job is not so much to crash through a gap as to read the play, anticipate which gap a running back might choose, and clog it.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Ravens run the two gap technique. A two gap technique requires more discipline on the part of the defender. A defensive lineman is responsible for both the A and B gaps on his side of the field. His job is not so much to crash through a gap as to read the play, anticipate which gap a running back might choose, and clog it.

I am aware but i've said these guys are in on passing downs also when they are required to rush the QB even if it's not their forte and the results are putrid

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I am aware but i've said these guys are in on passing downs also when they are required to rush the QB even if it's not their forte and the results are putrid
if you were aware then you would understand that maintaining your gap is the priority of a two gap lineman vs. a 1 gap lineman and breaking down further whether it's an over or under makes a difference as well

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
if you were aware then you would understand that maintaining your gap is the priority of a two gap lineman vs. a 1 gap lineman and breaking down further whether it's an over or under makes a difference as well
But then why the hell are we calling a scheme that prioritizes gap integrity over pass rush even on obvious passing downs

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
But then why the hell are we calling a scheme that prioritizes gap integrity over pass rush even on obvious passing downs
I would love to have a one gap under, but we currently don't have the personnel. In obvious pass rushing scenarios we aren't running our base personnel (3-4). As a matter we are only in base personnel less than 20% of the time. Brandon Williams is also off the field in most pass rushing downs. Two gap integrity is typically used under a 3-4 scheme. Most snaps Pierce and Williams aren't on the field at the same time.

That being said two gap teams are in most occasions better against the run and vice versa. In many instances Wade Phillips teams have had issues against the run. Not all the time, but in many instances. I haven't checked this year, but last year this was the case as well and they are in a one gap scheme.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I would love to have a one gap under, but we currently don't have the personnel. In obvious pass rushing scenarios we aren't running our base personnel (3-4). As a matter we are only in base personnel less than 20% of the time. Brandon Williams is also off the field in most pass rushing downs. Two gap integrity is typically used under a 3-4 scheme. Most snaps Pierce and Williams aren't on the field at the same time.

That being said two gap teams are in most occasions better against the run and vice versa. In many instances Wade Phillips teams have had issues against the run. Not all the time, but in many instances. I haven't checked this year, but last year this was the case as well and they are in a one gap scheme.

that 20% number btw is from last year - so far this year the actual number is a lot lower than that i think

How do you make sacks if you don't rush the quarterback?

The same way you don’t make tackles. His numbers are putrid through 5 games. He’s credited with 5 tackles, 1 solo and 4 assists. Zero sacks. I’m good with his role on this team, but we pay him a decent salary to just take up space. It would be nice to see him at least be a bit of a disruption when he is in there when they do throw the ball.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
The same way you don’t make tackles. His numbers are putrid through 5 games. He’s credited with 5 tackles, 1 solo and 4 assists. Zero sacks. I’m good with his role on this team, but we pay him a decent salary to just take up space. It would be nice to see him at least be a bit of a disruption when he is in there when they do throw the ball.
Being paid that much for what he does is certainly not BW's fault and his run D play would have been way more visible if our inside linebackers cleaned up better or outside ones did their job and set the edge from time to time.

Being paid that much for what he does is certainly not BW's fault and his run D play would have been way more visible if our inside linebackers cleaned up better or outside ones did their job and set the edge from time to time.

Yeah there’s lots of problems on D this year and BWill is not high on my list of concerns.

Just look at any game when BW is out, we get fucking killed by our run D. Complaining about his lack of sacks is about as dumb as complaining about Tuckers lack of interceptions

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just look at any game when BW is out, we get fucking killed by our run D. Complaining about his lack of sacks is about as dumb as complaining about Tuckers lack of interceptions

The problem is not that b will isn’t rushing the passer - because that’s never been his role...

The problem is that there’s no player on this roster who can sub in and rush the passer from his spot