• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

General Draft Thoughts

Charm City

Pro Bowler
Murray is so athletic but man I seen him so many times getting caught in traffic and just misdiagnosing plays with overpursuit. Could be coachable I guess but I just wouldn't touch him in the 1st. Rather go with Zach Baun or Gallimore in the 1st. Really want to improve the interior pass rush.

As to Weaver I haven't seen Cal play unfortunately since I watch so little PAC 12 football but I've seen Troy Dye play and if he's still there at #60 we gotta jump. Talented player. But with Weaver was those 180 tackles in 1 yr or career? Is he at all good in coverage since I've read he's a 2 down player? Could be a nice day 3 pick tho cuz we could use a thumper at LB and he could do SpTeams, situational defense and learn behind LJ Fort for a year.
The 180 tackles was just last year. Here are his career stats:
upload_2020-3-1_22-35-59.png

From what I've seen and read he is more of a run stopper rather than a coverage linebacker. His hips are pretty stiff and he needs to improve his awareness.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
If DeCosta does pick Murray I'll consider this a sign we haven't really improved our scouting department.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Too many injuries. Too little production. No motor.

right but the production is partially related to the injury curves - and if production was the thing that translated best to the NFL it would be pretty simple drafting pass rushers in the NFL - i feel very confidently that he's a prospect who without the injury history might be valued near the top of round 2 maybe end of round 1 but with them i still think he's value towards the end of round 2

ALI624

Pro Bowler
right but the production is partially related to the injury curves - and if production was the thing that translated best to the NFL it would be pretty simple drafting pass rushers in the NFL - i feel very confidently that he's a prospect who without the injury history might be valued near the top of round 2 maybe end of round 1 but with them i still think he's value towards the end of round 2
Well he does have an injury history and major injuries. To me I would not touch him. Can’t afford to miss on early selections. We have a limited window with a MVP under a rookie contract.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
the draft really needs to be brought forward around a month. way too much time

its only march 2nd for fucks sake.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
the draft really needs to be brought forward around a month. way too much time

its only march 2nd for fucks sake.

its fine we'll have free agency then pro days then the draft - you need some space between the draft and free agency (whichever way round you want them) so that one can inform the decisions a team can make in the other - if they're too close together its much harder to have a cohesive roster building strategy

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
its fine we'll have free agency then pro days then the draft - you need some space between the draft and free agency (whichever way round you want them) so that one can inform the decisions a team can make in the other - if they're too close together its much harder to have a cohesive roster building strategy

I think early april is more than enough time.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So you start FA NOW instead of in 2 weeks.

but then it clashes with the combine - it's not in the NFL's interest to condense the offseason given they want to be relevant year-round

it's also a bit difficult to ask teams to go straight from draft mode at the combine to pro personnel mode with free agency in the space of what would be less than a week

there's no real way to pull everything earlier

senior bowl happens pro bowl weekend - then the superbowl - combine is only a month after the superbowl with free agency a fortnight after that and the draft about 5 weeks after that (with pro days and visits and workouts in that time)

you cant move the combine without affecting the competitive parity for the teams involved in the superbowl which basically locks in the schedule after that all the way until the dead period between offseason activities and training camp

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Jeremiah got infected by Bucky Brooks virus, mocked Swift to us at #28.
DeCosta is an analytics driven GM why on earth would he even draft a RB this high, especially after this year's big data bowl?
I doubt we draft a RB in first 3 rounds.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Jeremiah got infected by Bucky Brooks virus, mocked Swift to us at #28.

I still think Jonathan Taylor is RB1 and would be the perfect back to our offense. Maybe in a trade down scenario, I wouldn’t mind it as
much.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I still think Jonathan Taylor is RB1 and would be the perfect back to our offense. Maybe in a trade down scenario, I wouldn’t mind it as
much.

no way is our top pick going to be a running back even if we trade down

it makes no sense from a resources perspective either because ingram and gus are already here - EDC in his presser was clear that we're not looking necessarily to draft a RB this year unless we think there's a potential superstar at one of our picks - but i have to think that's not with our first pick

to me that's likely someone like cam akers in the 3rd round if he's still there

it would be bizarre to me if we picked a RB before the end of the 2nd and still surprising if we even drafted one on day 2 at all

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If cam Akers or zack moss is still there at our third, there simply won’t be a superior player available, and in the most run heavy offense in 50 years it would be STUUUUUPID to pass on something like that in round 3.

we drafted Bernard pierce in round 3 after ray rices breakout season, those 2 are far superior prospects.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
What did they say is a time frame for Yanda to let the Ravens know whether he stays for another season? That will have a huge impact on how we approach this draft.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
What did they say is a time frame for Yanda to let the Ravens know whether he stays for another season? That will have a huge impact on how we approach this draft.

at his presser at the combine last tuesday EDC said he'd be having that conversation with yanda at some point within the next month (would be 3 weeks now)

my assumption is it happens within the next couple of weeks but it maybe that we know we wouldnt get an adequate replacement for him in free agency either way so we just need to know with some time to prepare pre-draft

but even so my best guess is the front office will know yanda's intentions before free agency begins (and are already prepared either way) - even if we as fans dont know the outcome

JO_75

Hall of Famer
So are the Redskins really thinking of passing on Chase Young for Tua or a smokescreen to trade down and acquire more picks? Seems they want other QB needy teams to think they will take him in order to get a sweet load of picks.

Crazy that they may give Haskins the Rosen treatment.