• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

General Draft Thoughts

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Would you guys trade up if Simmons somehow falls out of the top 10?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Would you guys trade up if Simmons somehow falls out of the top 10?

would be an unbelievable chess piece in this defence - im not sure ive come across a prospect i ever wanted to trade up 15+ spots in the draft for since i started this - philosophically i dont think any blockbuster trade up is ever really worth it unless you're going after a franchise qb - the value isnt there

when we're talking a few spots on day 2 or day 3 that's different but on day 1 i think there's far more value in trading down or picking at your spot - but if you are going to trade up from late day 1 it's much better value if you're only going up less than 5 or so spots to get your guy... if a top 10 talent falls past pick 20 that's when i'd potentially start getting interested in this draft and if they made it to 23/24 then id be fine throwing in a 3 or something to get there

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just got the most absurd results on the mock draft machine:

1: Denzel Mims
2: Grant Delpit
3: Jordan Elliott
3: Akeem Davis-Gaither
4: Ben Bredeson
4: Antonio Gandy-Golden
4: Lynn Bowden Jr
5: Josiah Scott
7: Kevin Dotson

you could make serious arguments that most of those players are top 100 prospects (I have Dotson at 117)

the biggest issue is that there's no edge added there and if not for delpit it probably would have been greenard or kareem there given who was available but despite safety not being a need the 21st player on my board was available at pick 60 - that's too good value not to take lol but also completely unrealistic

JAAM

Hall of Famer
would be an unbelievable chess piece in this defence - im not sure ive come across a prospect i ever wanted to trade up 15+ spots in the draft for since i started this - philosophically i dont think any blockbuster trade up is ever really worth it unless you're going after a franchise qb - the value isnt there

when we're talking a few spots on day 2 or day 3 that's different but on day 1 i think there's far more value in trading down or picking at your spot - but if you are going to trade up from late day 1 it's much better value if you're only going up less than 5 or so spots to get your guy... if a top 10 talent falls past pick 20 that's when i'd potentially start getting interested in this draft and if they made it to 23/24 then id be fine throwing in a 3 or something to get there
Well let's hope Simmons gets the Tunsil treatment on draft day lmao

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

Baltimore_Ravens_logo.svg.png

Zack Baun

, EDGE
    Wisconsin

Cam Akers

, RB
    Florida State

Darrell Taylor

, EDGE
    Tennessee

Logan Stenberg

, IOL
    Kentucky

Leki Fotu

, IDL
    Utah

Devin Duvernay

, WR
    Texas

Michael Pittman Jr.

, WR
    USC

Lynn Bowden

, WR
    Kentucky

Tanner Muse

, S
    Clemson

These drafts are pretty damn hard. Couldn't find a good passrushing 3 tech and passed on Gallimore in 1st but I'm enamored with Baun who can play anywhere and line up as weakside ILB in base formation. Also think I got some pretty good talent at WR in later rds.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
just looking at the draft order and i think there's going to be a run on tackles super early - like early enough that the jets might be left without one sitting at the 11th pick

i think if the giants take a tackle we're going to see the other 3 consensus top guys go before the jets at 11

i could genuinely see the giants, chargers, panthers, browns and jets all taking tackles with their first pick and that's before you throw in the lions and jags who could also but it's slightly less of an urgent need

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
just looking at the draft order and i think there's going to be a run on tackles super early - like early enough that the jets might be left without one sitting at the 11th pick

i think if the giants take a tackle we're going to see the other 3 consensus top guys go before the jets at 11

i could genuinely see the giants, chargers, panthers, browns and jets all taking tackles with their first pick and that's before you throw in the lions and jags who could also but it's slightly less of an urgent need
Jets and Browns in a bidding war over Trent Williams apparently. His $$ demands causing issues though.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Jets and Browns in a bidding war over Trent Williams apparently. His $$ demands causing issues though.

yeah i wonder if that's partly related to the draft forecast - but i saw the same - that compensation is not the issue just contract stuff - not sure it should hold up much longer though - both those teams have more than enough cap space to spend a ton on williams

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
So will the draft actually go ahead as an event or will it be done through more basic means?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So will the draft actually go ahead as an event or will it be done through more basic means?

if they dont move it then i guess it will look like the coolest fantasy draft you've ever seen - probably some sort of digital experience with pundits etc. but no live crowd and no prospects walking up on stage (albeit they might find a way to get the 1st round guys with 1 jerseys)

alternatively the event gets pushed but no guarantees

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
if they dont move it then i guess it will look like the coolest fantasy draft you've ever seen - probably some sort of digital experience with pundits etc. but no live crowd and no prospects walking up on stage (albeit they might find a way to get the 1st round guys with 1 jerseys)

alternatively the event gets pushed but no guarantees

actually i wouldn't mind it at all as a digital experience. Fuck the wait.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
actually i wouldn't mind it at all as a digital experience. Fuck the wait.

me neither - i just wonder if the NFL will be willing to lose a tentpole event - the one in nashville last year pulled in hundreds of thousands of spectators to nashville over the 3 days - that's a lot of participants to lose in an event

id be happy with the draft happening as a souped up digital thing but its just whether the nfl can stomach it and what their internal numbers say it will do in terms of viewership - will they gain extra viewership because of more people being self-isolating and being starved of live entertainment and therefore carry on or will the numbers suggest that people wont be into a "silly" sports thing and lose engagement

Charm City

Pro Bowler
upload_2020-3-15_10-41-49.png

Not a fan of the last three picks, but if we get Simmons in the first round at 28 we could draft a bunch of senior citizens and I would still be happy.