• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just to clarify on Bowser, I wouldn't think he's a big deal but he's more than the 1 year veteran type of signing. We'll see how the rest of the season goes for sure but I wouldn't think he's too expensive right now, and they might want to retain him as the only other SLB if Judon leaves. He's just the only other one that I see commanding solid-ish money from our FA group outside of the names already mentioned.

i agree with that - my worry is that even if he unspectacularly keeps acquiring sacks the way he has so far he's going to get a big payday somewhere just purely as a stat compiler (not that he hasnt been playing well though)

if he'd actually managed to get that finish on mahomes he'd have 3 sacks in 3 games

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

The CBS article says he's getting $37M by March. So given he has a very low base salary this season already (around $2M), one would assume most of that is in the form of a signing bonus or some sort of option bonus that's picked up in March.

My guess is they'll try to keep him at around $15M or less cap impact for 2021, with obviously significant higher one's after that when the cap rebound is likely.

Simba

Staff Member
The CBS article says he's getting $37M by March. So given he has a very low base salary this season already (around $2M), one would assume most of that is in the form of a signing bonus or some sort of option bonus that's picked up in March.

My guess is they'll try to keep him at around $15M or less cap impact for 2021, with obviously significant higher one's after that when the cap rebound is likely.

It definitely seems well thought out if all of these reports are correct. Small impact to this year's cap. A slight bump next year. Then the big money starts to hit in 2022. 7 years is a long commitment but it seems like they're minimizing bonus money later in the contract so they can get out of it if needed. Years 3, 4, and 5 are probably the biggest "guaranteed" commitments if I had to guess based on the info we have now.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

apparently 40m guaranteed at signing and 67m in injury guarantees but still no word on signing bonus but cant imagine it'll be too crazy given that it will increase his cap number for this year

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It definitely seems well thought out if all of these reports are correct. Small impact to this year's cap. A slight bump next year. Then the big money starts to hit in 2022. 7 years is a long commitment but it seems like they're minimizing bonus money later in the contract so they can get out of it if needed. Years 3, 4, and 5 are probably the biggest "guaranteed" commitments if I had to guess based on the info we have now.

because of the length of the deal there'll be no bonus money in the last 2 years of the deal at all but it does mean his cap hit this year and next will go up by a fifth of whatever the signing bonus he got is

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
what utter bullshit clickbait that article is lol
Yeah its poorly written all the way around. Clearly released prior to Marlon's extension, just assumes that teams that traded for somebody are ready throw in the towel on them a month later because the team isn't winning, etc.

The real world just simply doesn't operate that way.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah its poorly written all the way around. Clearly released prior to Marlon's extension, just assumes that teams that traded for somebody are ready throw in the towel on them a month later because the team isn't winning, etc.

The real world just simply doesn't operate that way.

completely ignores the fact that they gave up a 2nd round pick for him too - its not 2 first round picks but it isnt a pick that you'd give up on

there's also the fact that the ravens seemingly had no interest in ngakoue to begin with because of him being on the tag

i dont even know if his reduced deal technically still counts as a franchise tag or not (is it just a 1 year contract for less money now???) but if he's still on the tag then we couldnt trade for him anyway

JAAM

Hall of Famer

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Ryan Clark (who I really respect as an analyst) doesn’t have us in his top 5. I absolutely love not being in the spotlight anymore. We’re at our best when we go under the radar. Unfortunately, I don’t see us losing more than 3 games from here on out (Dallas, split with Pitt and MAYBE Tennessee) which puts as at 12-4 barring a major injury

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I am still bummed out about Tavon Young. He is so incredibly talented and gets no breaks man

JAAM

Hall of Famer