• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Y’all making this list and leaving out jimmy. Our defense STILL TO THIS DAY is a shell of itself when jimmy is off the field. Put jimmy out there to man up on Waller and this is a different outcome, jimmy would’ve been a bigger difference maker in week 1 than peters. And I am a HUGE Marcus peters fan, I’m still not sold that marlo is the best corner on the team, but as far as matchups go, we needed jimmy Monday night and still do.
Yeah I don't think so. I actually don't think Waller's impact on the game was that big, and a lot of analysts agree with me. He got a bunch of stats on 19 targets. 19. You can give Boykin 19 targets and he'll get you 80-100 yards easily. I did not think Darren Waller was uncoverable in that game by any stretch of the imagination, and I think people who think that didn't watch the game and desperately need to go back and watch film.

I think five years ago, I'd be beating the "Jimmy is critical" drum all day long.
But if I conceptualize...
In 2020, he missed five games, and I don't see any significant impact on the defense in those games. He was pretty limited from a snap count perspective in the second half of the year, and the only time he really plays a ton of snaps these days is if he's playing a team that throws the ball a ton (Buffalo), or injuries force him into the lineup.

Jackson
Stanley
Marlon
Peters
Andrews
Queen

Losing Lamar is a death blow to your playoff chances. Losing the other 4-5 makes life very difficult.

Hollywood I wouldn't put on the list because IF Bateman were healthy, we would still have Bateman, Watkins and Andrews available, and still have some speed guys at depth. No injury is ideal, but I don't think it would derail our season.

If we lost him today while Bateman is still out, then yes, certainly sucks.
My only quibble with that is that it assumes Bateman will be good - which we all think he will, but Hollywood is still the only receiver on this team we know can succeed in this offense.

Y’all making this list and leaving out jimmy. Our defense STILL TO THIS DAY is a shell of itself when jimmy is off the field. Put jimmy out there to man up on Waller and this is a different outcome, jimmy would’ve been a bigger difference maker in week 1 than peters. And I am a HUGE Marcus peters fan, I’m still not sold that marlo is the best corner on the team, but as far as matchups go, we needed jimmy Monday night and still do.
I can't get on board with that. I love Jimmy and 3-4 years ago he was THE guy in the secondary, but if everyone's healthy in 2021 he doesn't start, so I can't have him on the "essentials" list.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Interesting little anecdote while looking through the mentions and replies

Ehh, I wouldn't say he put them in a bad spot. I don't know many fans who are like "yeah the man asked for a trade, you should trade him" when it comes to NFL players. If the Ravens didn't want to trade him, they didn't have to. And if he was willing to sit out over it (which I guarantee he wasn't), then so be it.

I don't think the "PR" aspect had anything to do with it. Ravens saw the same thing everybody else saw. Zero percent chance of the guy re-signing here beyond 2021, zero percent chance they could afford to franchise tag him for 2022, and his value was never going to be higher than it was this offseason. So, you trade him.

Simba

Staff Member
Ehh, I wouldn't say he put them in a bad spot. I don't know many fans who are like "yeah the man asked for a trade, you should trade him" when it comes to NFL players. If the Ravens didn't want to trade him, they didn't have to. And if he was willing to sit out over it (which I guarantee he wasn't), then so be it.

I don't think the "PR" aspect had anything to do with it. Ravens saw the same thing everybody else saw. Zero percent chance of the guy re-signing here beyond 2021, zero percent chance they could afford to franchise tag him for 2022, and his value was never going to be higher than it was this offseason. So, you trade him.

I was pretty much just referring to the note that they were furious about it. I assume they would much rather have had it handled like Hurst.

Congratulations everyone.
IMG-20210917-WA0002.jpg

rossihunter2

Staff Member

marlon is clearly the best corner on the team - and i think the raiders game proved that beyond doubt for any doubters remaining...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Kept hearing reports of how extremely raw he was in camp and how much work he needs. My question is this… when has University of Florida ever produced a legit NFL WR? I know there’s been a few with “promise”, but none who actually produced

no stars yet in recent times but demarcus robinson has done well and van jefferson very much looks like he might be something in year 2

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Regarding Mr. Toney, I'm not gonna judge him on his first two games in the same way I gave no thought to JaMarr Chase's drops.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
no stars yet in recent times but demarcus robinson has done well and van jefferson very much looks like he might be something in year 2

I just go back a lot to Chad Jackson and how bad he busted even in a NE system with the GOAT in his prime