• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

I wouldn’t have a problem with that. It just depends on whether he gets a generous offer from another team. He’s a RFA next year.
Actually he is a ERFA, which means he won’t go anywhere unless the ravens don’t offer him league minimum contract. I think?

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
So, someone help me understand-

Gardner Minshew, who showed similar limitations as a passer, was traded for a sixth round pick. Minshew played in 23 games and started 20.

Huntley has played in four and started two.

Why do we think Huntley would fetch a first or second and why do we think he'd be traded as a starter and not a backup?

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

Gardner Minshew, who showed similar limitations as a passer, was traded for a sixth round pick. Minshew played in 23 games and started 20.

Why do we think Huntley would fetch a first or second and why do we think he'd be traded as a starter and not a backup?

The only reason I can think of is that our fanbase tends to overhype certain players. I like Huntley as a backup, but there's no way that he's worth a first or second round pick.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Because people are overvaluing Huntley and don't understand how football trades work.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Text copied from LFW because baltimore sun is not accessible in europe:

The more Tyler Huntley plays, the more people comment on how much his skill set mirrors Lamar Jackson's.

The most obvious trait shared by Huntley and Jackson, of course, is their ability to run and juke defenders. When comparing them as passers, however, that's where the similarities end.

"For as much as the two might have in common — their South Florida ties, their dual-threat ability — Jackson and Huntley operate coordinator Greg Roman's passing attack with almost competing approaches," The Baltimore Sun's Jonas Shaffer wrote. "At one end of the spectrum is Jackson, a deep-throwing, middle-field-targeting, occasionally-too-patient veteran. At the other end is Huntley, a quick-trigger, field-spreading newcomer with just two career starts."

Shaffer noted that Huntley and Jackson are both averaging around eight yards per carry on scrambles, but they couldn't be more different as passers.

"If Jackson's closest NFL analogs are strong-armed, aggressive peers like Russell Wilson and Josh Allen, Huntley's might be Ben Roethlisberger and Matt Ryan, field generals who prefer paper cuts to uppercuts. His longest completion Sunday, as determined by air yards, traveled just 15 yards downfield," Shaffer wrote.

Huntley has the eighth-fastest average time to throw among the 40 qualifying quarterbacks on Next Gen Stats (2.66 seconds); Jackson has the fifth slowest (2.96 seconds). Huntley has the seventh-lowest average intended air yards (7 yards downfield per attempt); Jackson has the second highest (9.6 yards per attempt).

It's uncertain whether Jackson (ankle) will be healthy enough to start Sunday's AFC North showdown against the Cincinnati Bengals or if Huntley will make his second consecutive start.

"If Huntley is called on again Sunday in Cincinnati, the Ravens could benefit from his get-the-ball-out approach — and also from more Jackson-esque big plays," Shaffer wrote. "The Bengals sacked Jackson five times in Week 7, flustering him with 'Cover 0' blitzes and taking away his escape routes on scrambles. They also allowed back-to-back 30-plus-yard pass plays to wide receivers Marquise 'Hollywood' Brown and Rashod Bateman on the third-quarter touchdown drive that gave the Ravens their final lead of the game."

Huntley, who led the Ravens over the Chicago Bears in Week 11 and played well in relief of the injured Jackson in Week 14 against the Cleveland Browns, is coming off an outstanding performance against the Green Bay Packers in which he threw for 215 yards and two touchdowns and ran for 73 yards and two touchdowns.

"Huntley's performance Sunday marked another step forward in his development, but the Bengals could be his toughest test yet," Shaffer wrote. "Cincinnati ranks 11th in the NFL in defensive efficiency, according to Football Outsiders, ahead of the Chicago Bears (18th), Browns (15th) and Packers (22nd)."

Simba

Staff Member
Also interesting looking at the 2020 QB class and seeing who else was taken and you could make a very easy case that Huntley's been at least the 5th best pro QB in that rookie class and probably even 4th

He's such an interesting case. The tape screamed draftable and what he's doing now shouldn't really be much of a surprise. However, I know a lot of teams also have their QB checklist and there are certainly many areas where he just doesn't check the box physically, so I understand why he went undrafted at the same time. You have to wonder if guys like Huntley and Heinicke are starting to make teams think about ignoring some of those physical limitations. None of these types of guys are ever going to be day 1 or day 2 guys but a swing in the 6th or 7th on guys like Huntley always feels like a no brainer to me.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He's such an interesting case. The tape screamed draftable and what he's doing now shouldn't really be much of a surprise. However, I know a lot of teams also have their QB checklist and there are certainly many areas where he just doesn't check the box physically, so I understand why he went undrafted at the same time. You have to wonder if guys like Huntley and Heinicke are starting to make teams think about ignoring some of those physical limitations. None of these types of guys are ever going to be day 1 or day 2 guys but a swing in the 6th or 7th on guys like Huntley always feels like a no brainer to me.

especially as you're really not looking for starters in the 6th/7th round so physical traits and athletic upside with arm talent becomes a lot less important

huntley's wind-up and arm strength limit his evaluation as a starter
but his poise, intelligence, competitiveness and baseline athleticism gave him a much better chance as a backup than some rawer guys with better arms

seems like height and mechanics really doomed huntley's evaluation

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Lets keep it entirely real, no team in the league has the draft capital to trade for Huntley, he’s worth too much. He likely won’t sign another deal until the next CBA because no team will have the salary cap to pay him til then.

JPPT1974

Practice Squad
Yeah as really too much there. As unless he agrees to restructure but doubt it will happen.

Also interesting looking at the 2020 QB class and seeing who else was taken and you could make a very easy case that Huntley's been at least the 5th best pro QB in that rookie class and probably even 4th
One important thing not mentioned in that piece was his decision making. He has been above average IMO. Also he seems very comfortable. The NFL game is not “too big” for him. Pretty amazing for a UDFA with two NFL starts. The problem with all of this is his sample size is just too small right now, but early returns look pretty good.

Last edited:
Lets keep it entirely real, no team in the league has the draft capital to trade for Huntley, he’s worth too much. He likely won’t sign another deal until the next CBA because no team will have the salary cap to pay him til then.

I believe Chiefs offered us Mahomes and Kelce and 2 1sts but we knocked them back.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Florio is such a fucking clown