• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2020 Offseason Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’m cool with dez now that we humbled his ass a little bit and left him coming back with his tail tucked looking for a chance at a ring, however, if we sign dez with our wr room as crowded as it is, then I’ll start worrying about Boykin.

i dont think dez is anything really to do with boykin at all - he's the potential seth roberts replacement (who we'd hope would be better than roberts was)

Simba

Staff Member
I’m cool with dez now that we humbled his ass a little bit and left him coming back with his tail tucked looking for a chance at a ring, however, if we sign dez with our wr room as crowded as it is, then I’ll start worrying about Boykin.

I don't think it says too much about Boykin if we were to sign Dez. We have a crowded WR room but we have a wealth of slot options and not much on the outside, as far as the big bodies go at least. Basically Boykin, Scott, and Wesley and the latter 2 I don't think anyone should have any expectations for.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

this is interesting from zrebiec - id assumed that it was over for averett and that marshall would make the team based on special teams but this suggests that from whatever talking he's been able to do with people in the organisation that they like averett more (just seems odd to me based on how last year ended)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I know that this dickbag Ryan mink will make every ravens UDFA sound like a sure pro bowler, but the talk about proche is exciting

Simba

Staff Member
Something else fun... looks like Ben Powers is getting some reps at C. There's a picture on the Ravens website of him snapping the ball in positional drills along with the usual suspects at C.

Simba

Staff Member

this is interesting from zrebiec - id assumed that it was over for averett and that marshall would make the team based on special teams but this suggests that from whatever talking he's been able to do with people in the organisation that they like averett more (just seems odd to me based on how last year ended)

Averett is such an interesting case. He's had moments where he looks really good and others where he looks really bad. Gotta think they remain enamored by his speed considering the type of D we're seemingly transitioning to. Just weird because as you mentioned, he doesn't really play ST and found himself inactive quite a bit for that reason last year. We were running 4 CBs on the active game day roster often until everyone got healthy.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Something else fun... looks like Ben Powers is getting some reps at C. There's a picture on the Ravens website of him snapping the ball in positional drills along with the usual suspects at C.

i couldnt see any of that - if it was just positional drills then it likely means nothing more than just snapping for the drill's sake idk... would be an interesting but surprising wrinkle - and if it was happening it would suggest to me that it's a manoeuvre that they'd only really bother undertaking if they were sure he wasn't going to be starting at guard but want him to be active on gamedays (positional flexibility)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Averett is such an interesting case. He's had moments where he looks really good and others where he looks really bad. Gotta think they remain enamored by his speed considering the type of D we're seemingly transitioning to. Just weird because as you mentioned, he doesn't really play ST and found himself inactive quite a bit for that reason last year. We were running 4 CBs on the active game day roster often until everyone got healthy.

maybe the fact that we might see 4 CB dime packages with jimmy as CB4 might mean that we want to carry a 5th pure corner even if they dont play special teams just because of how many DBs we want to get on the field???

you'd think though that the lack of special teams is a bad sign - but maybe now that he knows he's fighting for CB5 he finds some special teams prowess within himself... idk

Simba

Staff Member
i couldnt see any of that - if it was just positional drills then it likely means nothing more than just snapping for the drill's sake idk... would be an interesting but surprising wrinkle - and if it was happening it would suggest to me that it's a manoeuvre that they'd only really bother undertaking if they were sure he wasn't going to be starting at guard but want him to be active on gamedays (positional flexibility)

It was with Skura, Mekari, and Colon-Castillo so that's what intrigued me. I'd lean toward it being more of the latter (positional flexibility) since his ability to only play G last year was one of the reasons he was consistently inactive. Don't think it counts him of the G race but the more you can do.

Outside of the bookend T's, we really don't have anyone on the OL that doesn't have some sort of positional flexibility.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It was with Skura, Mekari, and Colon-Castillo so that's what intrigued me. I'd lean toward it being more of the latter (positional flexibility) since his ability to only play G last year was one of the reasons he was consistently inactive. Don't think it counts him of the G race but the more you can do.

Outside of the bookend T's, we really don't have anyone on the OL that doesn't have some sort of positional flexibility.

interesting - i havent seen that photo - the only one ive seen is of Skura, Bozeman (and i assume mekari and colon-castillo albeit they are out of focus) lined up ready to snap...

but positional flexibility has always been highly valued by this front office and especially in OL because it makes it more likely that at any given point in time you can have your 5 best OL on the field together

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
its a tryout - if he's got something then why wouldnt you bring him into camp to see if he can win himself a role - at the level he's likely to get a contract at there's likely going to be no risk to it
Ok thanks. It just reminds me of the Maclin&Crabtree situation.

Simba

Staff Member
Ok thanks. It just reminds me of the Maclin&Crabtree situation.

And it very well could turn out that way, but this would likely be a minimum or slightly above commitment. No guarantees at all even if he were to sign.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
And it very well could turn out that way, but this would likely be a minimum or slightly above commitment. No guarantees at all even if he were to sign.

feels like a michael floyd type signing to me - kick the tyres on a formerly good big-bodied outside wr on a low risk contract to see if they've got anything left in the tank worth our time and if not then let them go no harm done

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
A bit selfish maybe, but I really want Averett to succeed if for no other reason than to have one of my forum mock draft picks work out lol.

we all did, maclin was a solid receiver, but he was always injury prone and he checked out when he signed with us. He was just milking one last pay day with minimal effort.

Yup, not to mention how we pretty much had no one at that point, and with how he fell to us late in the off season after we struck out on everyone else. We had to be excited lol

Maclin and Crabtree were let downs, but at least Crabtree seemed to care and put more effort into things than Maclin did.