• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: WRs Devin Duvernay (92) and James Proche (201)

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Watching duvernay right now, and I wouldn’t expect a whole ton from him as a rookie, his way onto the active roster year 1 is as a special teamer, without mincing words his route running is pretty much horrible. He’s got some stiffness in the hips, his footwork really isn’t there at all, and his breaks are very soft as result of both of those things.

the natural hands and natural talent with the ball are very apparent, he’s a plucker and tucker when given a lead, and when the ball comes to his numbers he times the catch beautifully and gives a nice soft breadbasket in the ins of his elbows. Beautiful ball tracking over the shoulder and incredibly confident hands on fades and posts, really feels the dbs presence when he’s got separation.

he’s gonna be limited to return duty, fades and posts, and end arounds as a rookie, and he’s gonna be forever limited in the route tree because I really see a lot of hip and ankle stiffness, but even in the pros he’s a big play waiting to happen because he can get open downfield and he can catch any ball when he’s got a step.
Ya his routes arent great but the one thing I like with him is the big play ability. I think he can be deadly for us with quick slants from the slot when we run a RPO. Slot corners and safeties have a real hard time tackling him thanks to his stocky frame. I really like his YAC potential in our offense, especially in that regard but hell never be an elite route runner. And I'm fine with that

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
remember when we used to take guys like aaron mallett? ( spelling?)

it was depressing
Mellette, doss, Reed, holy shit we were bad.

I was high on doss after we drafted him but I didn’t know he existed prior to that, he had incredible hands in college but he was never a route runner. I can say proche looks better than any day 3 receiver the ravens have ever drafted by a country mile

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Mellette, doss, Reed, holy shit we were bad.

I was high on doss after we drafted him but I didn’t know he existed prior to that, he had incredible hands in college but he was never a route runner. I can say proche looks better than any day 3 receiver the ravens have ever drafted by a country mile

not gone in on proche yet but I was very high on michael campanaro

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Ya his routes arent great but the one thing I like with him is the big play ability. I think he can be deadly for us with quick slants from the slot when we run a RPO. Slot corners and safeties have a real hard time tackling him thanks to his stocky frame. I really like his YAC potential in our offense, especially in that regard but hell never be an elite route runner. And I'm fine with that
I’m dying to see him in the slot and Hollywood at X, with us running a RPO, slant inside and skinny post outside, with Boykin or andrews at the Z running the fade. or Hollywood on the fade and duvernay with the post, with the Z hitting the slant to suck the safety up.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
not gone in on proche yet but I was very high on michael campanaro
I forgot about campanaro! Yeah he was an unfortunate tale of injuries, he could’ve been a very above average slot receiver if he didn’t get broken in half every time he stepped on the field man, he had great skill and was soooo silky smooth in all his motions, natural hands too.

and I believe you’re gonna really like proche, I just did 3 games on each receiver, I had watched duvernay prior but not proche. I can say pretty firmly that I think proche is the better receiver right now. I think you’ll come out of your film dive wondering how the hell he fell to 6

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
When you watch proche 1v1 at the senior bowl I think it becomes very apparent what his issue with separation is, it’s wasted motions tipping his hand. You see a lot of times where he gets leverage off the bat incredibly well and he’s in a great position to separate off his break and you feel like he will, and then he breaks and the db just follows easy, this is especially true on his 90 degree breaks, ins and outs both, he does the shoulder twitch and hard lean opposite of his break every single time and it’s so telling, if you took leverage on the inside you’re obviously not about to make a shallow cross across the dbs face, all that wasted motion is a key for the db and they’re ready to break with him every time.

if he can learn to cut out little shit like that, and like I said get with the right guys and learn how to apply those quick feet in a smart way, it’s over, he’s gonna be a beast. Typical rookie stuff, he hasn’t been coached up quite enough but he’s got the tools.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I forgot about campanaro! Yeah he was an unfortunate tale of injuries, he could’ve been a very above average slot receiver if he didn’t get broken in half every time he stepped on the field man, he had great skill and was soooo silky smooth in all his motions, natural hands too.

and I believe you’re gonna really like proche, I just did 3 games on each receiver, I had watched duvernay prior but not proche. I can say pretty firmly that I think proche is the better receiver right now. I think you’ll come out of your film dive wondering how the hell he fell to 6

haha i was already wondering that - did enough film on both of them to get a sense of them and grade but looking forward to the deeper dive - i saw a lot of proche in the 1v1s at the senior bowl

gonna watch duvernay first because we drafted him first but then ill move onto proche

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m dying to see him in the slot and Hollywood at X, with us running a RPO, slant inside and skinny post outside, with Boykin or andrews at the Z running the fade. or Hollywood on the fade and duvernay with the post, with the Z hitting the slant to suck the safety up.
Ya the guys that we got just really fit nicely within our scheme, it's pretty exciting with all the possibilities. That's what got me so hyped about Duvernay to begin with. His YAC ability added with his blazing speed gives us another weapon for defenses to account for. Hes also played big in big games which I liked. His LSU game is probably his best

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Dagger all day with he and marquise and either combo of Mark or Miles.

Marquise killed on the dig part of that in college.
run an opposite side drag with the slot running a straight vertical and the outside receiver on that side running a dig underneath the slot vertical,

rossihunter2

Staff Member
preliminary thoughts after tape rewatch on Duvernay:

1) He's a killer in zones - so good at finding that soft spot and gearing down to give the QB a larger window (had to do that a lot because of how late the QB was to find him when he was wide open)
2) He's a YAC monster - so strong, so fast, RB build - he'll run over you, he'll run round you, he'll run by you with the ball in his hands
3) His route nuance is on and off depending on the games you watch - he runs so fast that one good jab step at the top of his stem and he's wide open but those sorts of things are really inconsistent
4) There are some technical route running things that he can get better at to help him burst out of his break

not going to be a high-volume target, but someone who will get some manufactured touches to get the ball in his hands and to go get some YAC and who we'll scheme up plays that open him up in space - and he'll take it to the house...

he'll primarily play in the slot where he's got more of the field to work with

he's a nice fit with Hollywood, Boykin and Proche - if he progresses as a route runner far enough, I think he makes Willie Snead a bit superfluous but we're not there yet

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Dagger all day with he and marquise and either combo of Mark or Miles.

Marquise killed on the dig part of that in college.
run an opposite side drag with the slot running a straight vertical and the outside receiver on that side running a dig underneath the slot vertical,
I take it duvernay is the slot vertical? Or is it Boykin/andrews? Because I’d definitely want Hollywood on the dig, but I think duvernay would maybe be better on the drag and let miles with his ups and long speed run the vert

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I take it duvernay is the slot vertical? Or is it Boykin/andrews? Because I’d definitely want Hollywood on the dig, but I think duvernay would maybe be better on the drag and let miles with his ups and long speed run the vert
I agree- Marquise on the dig with Miles or Andrews out of the slot vertical and Devin dragging opposite. probably mix it up with Devin running slot vertical as well

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Really impressed with him in contested catches. Also a nice trust between he and The Texas QB. Imagine that rapport existing between Lamar/Marquise and Devin!

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
One thing I’d appreciate is if the media can stop calling him DuVARnay. It’s like a unanimous pronunciation but these idiots can just watch a highlight reel and hear how his name is pronounced.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Id say The ravens are expecting that Lamar will take another leap forward this off season. I think we utilize our WR's a ton....or more.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
preliminary thoughts after tape rewatch on Duvernay:

1) He's a killer in zones - so good at finding that soft spot and gearing down to give the QB a larger window (had to do that a lot because of how late the QB was to find him when he was wide open)
2) He's a YAC monster - so strong, so fast, RB build - he'll run over you, he'll run round you, he'll run by you with the ball in his hands
3) His route nuance is on and off depending on the games you watch - he runs so fast that one good jab step at the top of his stem and he's wide open but those sorts of things are really inconsistent
4) There are some technical route running things that he can get better at to help him burst out of his break

not going to be a high-volume target, but someone who will get some manufactured touches to get the ball in his hands and to go get some YAC and who we'll scheme up plays that open him up in space - and he'll take it to the house...

he'll primarily play in the slot where he's got more of the field to work with

he's a nice fit with Hollywood, Boykin and Proche - if he progresses as a route runner far enough, I think he makes Willie Snead a bit superfluous but we're not there yet
You missed one thing that keeps getting overlooked. I have not seen 1 drop on film from 106 catches. If someone found a drop on film please lmk

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Id say The ravens are expecting that Lamar will take another leap forward this off season. I think we utilize our WR's a ton....or more.

ive been expecting this also - we know how hard he works, we know how much that playoff loss hurts and he will only get better the more he sees

the only thing stopping him making that leap right now is his inability to work with coach harris because of the pandemic