• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Post-Draft Discussion Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
the only guys who gave us a so-so grade were PFF with a B

they gave the browns an A +
Without taking a look I’m gonna essentially guarantee a few things from pff because I follow them fairly well...

They dinged us for taking a rb in 2
they dinged us for not taking more dbs
Our OL picks graded poorly
They dinged the proche pick because he makes a lot of contested catches, and the duvernay pick because he ran free often

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Without taking a look I’m gonna essentially guarantee a few things from pff because I follow them fairly well...

They dinged the proche pick because he makes a lot of contested catches, and the duvernay pick because he ran free often

I'll make this easy

BALTIMORE RAVENS
Round 1 (28): LB Patrick Queen, LSU
Round 2 (55): RB JK Dobbins, Ohio State
Round 3 (71): DI Justin Madubuike, Texas A&M
Round 3 (92): WR Devin Duvernay, Texas
Round 3 (98): LB Malik Harrison, Ohio State
Round 3 (106): IOL Tyre Phillips, Mississippi State
Round 4 (143): IOL Ben Bredeson, Michigan
Round 5 (170): DI Broderick Washington, Texas Tech
Round 6 (201): WR James Proche, SMU
Round 7 (219): S Geno Stone, Iowa

Day 1: This Patrick Queen selection at 28 was one of PFF’s favorite picks of the first round, especially after the Los Angeles Chargers moved up to take a linebacker at pick 23 and the Seattle Seahawks went linebacker right in front of Baltimore at 27, and both teams took players we ranked significantly lower than Queen at the position. Queen is an elite athlete who can bring positive play in coverage (81.8 coverage grade in 2019) and get sideline to sideline on that defense. He may not have the ability to take on blockers in the run game like some of the other prospects in the class, but his explosiveness and smoothness as an athlete more than makes up for that.

Day 2: After nailing the Queen selection, Dobbins at No. 55 isn’t a move that brings a whole lot of value to this offense for us. He has clearly been uber-productive at Ohio State over the course of his career, rushing for over 2,000 yards last season along with three consecutive seasons of 78.7-plus rushing grades. The issue is that they didn’t need to go running back here, especially with how much space is created by a Ravens rushing attack that is spearheaded by Lamar Jackson and what was one of the better offensive lines in the NFL just a season ago.

Then, there were all the third-round picks — four in total. Madubuike at pick 71 provides a player with a strong history of stuffing the run (run-defense grades of 87.0 or higher each of the past two years) and solid production as a pass-rusher. Duvernay brings more speed, yards-after-the-catch ability and solid hands to this wide receiving corps, but just don’t ask him to win on routes downfield. Malik Harrison is much more of a downhill player at linebacker than Queen, but his proficiency as a blitzer at Ohio State (38 pressures over last two seasons) should play well on a defense that blitzed significantly more than any other defense in 2019. Lastly, Tyre Phillips is more likely than not to kick inside to guard at the NFL level. He has issues in pass protection, but the Ravens should be able to use his strength and body-moving ability in the run game.

Day 3: Stone is one of the most underrated safeties in the draft class. His processing and quicks are a fit for every defense in the NFL. You may not want him in the box, but he can easily rotate between deep and the slot.

Considered a three-star recruit by 247Sports coming out of Pennsylvania’s New Castle High School, Geno Stone received some interest from several Power 5 schools, but Iowa was the only school to offer him. According to Iowa’s official athletic site, Stone earned first-team All-State honors as a senior defensive back. He was a three-year letterman and played defensive back, wide receiver and quarterback for New Castle. He also lettered in basketball and track in sprints and jumps.

Stone dominated in coverage throughout his career for the Hawkeyes. On his 883 coverage snaps over the last three years, Stone had put together one of the best coverage grades in the country at 91.8. He’s played a majority of his snaps deep, and that’s exactly where he belongs — he played over 600 snaps at free safety in his career and has been responsible for only 137 yards while intercepting three passes and forcing seven incompletions. While Stone has been good in the box, he’s nowhere near the same elite player when playing deep, which is evidenced by the 71.1 overall grade that he’s earned in the box over his career.

Proche's ball skills are elite enough to see the field in the NFL. He may be pigeonholed to the slot, though, as he struggled to create for himself.

Draft Grade: B

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'll make this easy

BALTIMORE RAVENS
Round 1 (28): LB Patrick Queen, LSU
Round 2 (55): RB JK Dobbins, Ohio State
Round 3 (71): DI Justin Madubuike, Texas A&M
Round 3 (92): WR Devin Duvernay, Texas
Round 3 (98): LB Malik Harrison, Ohio State
Round 3 (106): IOL Tyre Phillips, Mississippi State
Round 4 (143): IOL Ben Bredeson, Michigan
Round 5 (170): DI Broderick Washington, Texas Tech
Round 6 (201): WR James Proche, SMU
Round 7 (219): S Geno Stone, Iowa

Day 1: This Patrick Queen selection at 28 was one of PFF’s favorite picks of the first round, especially after the Los Angeles Chargers moved up to take a linebacker at pick 23 and the Seattle Seahawks went linebacker right in front of Baltimore at 27, and both teams took players we ranked significantly lower than Queen at the position. Queen is an elite athlete who can bring positive play in coverage (81.8 coverage grade in 2019) and get sideline to sideline on that defense. He may not have the ability to take on blockers in the run game like some of the other prospects in the class, but his explosiveness and smoothness as an athlete more than makes up for that.

Day 2: After nailing the Queen selection, Dobbins at No. 55 isn’t a move that brings a whole lot of value to this offense for us. He has clearly been uber-productive at Ohio State over the course of his career, rushing for over 2,000 yards last season along with three consecutive seasons of 78.7-plus rushing grades. The issue is that they didn’t need to go running back here, especially with how much space is created by a Ravens rushing attack that is spearheaded by Lamar Jackson and what was one of the better offensive lines in the NFL just a season ago.

Then, there were all the third-round picks — four in total. Madubuike at pick 71 provides a player with a strong history of stuffing the run (run-defense grades of 87.0 or higher each of the past two years) and solid production as a pass-rusher. Duvernay brings more speed, yards-after-the-catch ability and solid hands to this wide receiving corps, but just don’t ask him to win on routes downfield. Malik Harrison is much more of a downhill player at linebacker than Queen, but his proficiency as a blitzer at Ohio State (38 pressures over last two seasons) should play well on a defense that blitzed significantly more than any other defense in 2019. Lastly, Tyre Phillips is more likely than not to kick inside to guard at the NFL level. He has issues in pass protection, but the Ravens should be able to use his strength and body-moving ability in the run game.

Day 3: Stone is one of the most underrated safeties in the draft class. His processing and quicks are a fit for every defense in the NFL. You may not want him in the box, but he can easily rotate between deep and the slot.

Considered a three-star recruit by 247Sports coming out of Pennsylvania’s New Castle High School, Geno Stone received some interest from several Power 5 schools, but Iowa was the only school to offer him. According to Iowa’s official athletic site, Stone earned first-team All-State honors as a senior defensive back. He was a three-year letterman and played defensive back, wide receiver and quarterback for New Castle. He also lettered in basketball and track in sprints and jumps.

Stone dominated in coverage throughout his career for the Hawkeyes. On his 883 coverage snaps over the last three years, Stone had put together one of the best coverage grades in the country at 91.8. He’s played a majority of his snaps deep, and that’s exactly where he belongs — he played over 600 snaps at free safety in his career and has been responsible for only 137 yards while intercepting three passes and forcing seven incompletions. While Stone has been good in the box, he’s nowhere near the same elite player when playing deep, which is evidenced by the 71.1 overall grade that he’s earned in the box over his career.

Proche's ball skills are elite enough to see the field in the NFL. He may be pigeonholed to the slot, though, as he struggled to create for himself.

Draft Grade: B
So I was bang on with my prediction of pffs grade for us lmao. They’re so predictable, I don’t dislike pff though I actually respect their analytics quite a bit and I notice every year that a lot of guys I’m high on are guys they’re high on too

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
So I was bang on with my prediction of pffs grade for us lmao. They’re so predictable, I don’t dislike pff though I actually respect their analytics quite a bit and I notice every year that a lot of guys I’m high on are guys they’re high on too

I think the dobbins pick for them is what took us a full mark off.

Reactions: cdp

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

lol, they are definitely giving conflicting grades on Duvernay and Proche

I've never been a huge fan of their grades on prospects.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Look, for me last years draft aside from hollywood was very very MEH and probably among the worst in the league

I think this year we found some really good players. were there a couple of picks i'd have done things differently? Sure...washington for example as a wasted pick but clearly they see something special in dobbins so I'll trust them even though for me he's a solid RB who's qualities are not impossible to find later in drafts.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean PFF at least sticks to a well-founded grading scale and they're consistent, whereas grades from other analysts are more or less arbitrary

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

Idk if said it here but when watching duvernay i noticed the same. That kinda worries me because you dont really get to see any route running from him.. we do a lot of motion so im sure thats what we will have him doing since its what he is used to

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Does anyone know anything about Jacob Breeland's ability to block? He looks like he could really be a weapon in the TE passing game. Dude broke his leg after 6 games and thats why he went undrafted but dude has wheels and soft hands.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Does anyone know anything about Jacob Breeland's ability to block? He looks like he could really be a weapon in the TE passing game. Dude broke his leg after 6 games and thats why he went undrafted but dude has wheels and soft hands.

Replying to myself. Seems his blocking is not very good. Hopefully he can improve in that respect, but should make for a good TE3 that can play more of the Andrews role in a pinch compared to the Boyle role.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Seems PFF was the outlier. Average of 13, #3 overall. Pretty impressive.

EWidw8bUYAgsLOi

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The thing about the cowboys grades are, while they did have a good draft, ceedee falling to them basically carries their draft grade from a 5-10 range to top 2. That is such an outlier pick that shouldn’t have happened and is rocketing their grade up.

the ravens consistently found stellar values, the cowboys found one inexplicable faller and every other pick was right on par with what the media could’ve projected.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The thing about the cowboys grades are, while they did have a good draft, ceedee falling to them basically carries their draft grade from a 5-10 range to top 2. That is such an outlier pick that shouldn’t have happened and is rocketing their grade up.

the ravens consistently found stellar values, the cowboys found one inexplicable faller and every other pick was right on par with what the media could’ve projected.

trevon diggs was amazing value also - neville gallimore too