• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Head Coaching Candidates

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
hmmmm, still wouldn't fit Kubiak (shot gun), but maybe Lincoln Riley would coach Lamar Jackson Especially with Mark Andrews and OBJ on the team

I don't believe Kubiak would be a good fit for Lamar. Not sure how much rpo he does.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
bs-fo-gordon-ramsay-20170707

He's perfect. Hire him. Will whip our players into shit immediately. And his world class dietary plan will ensure that everyone on the team has the best quick twitch muscle in the world.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
given what's happened in cleveland with freddie kitchens im more and more ok with having a playcaller come in with no playcalling experience (because there's only one way to get that experience lol)

on a related note here's the Fritz Pollard Alliance list of recommendations of minority HC candidates for this offseason (or future offseasons):

• Keith Armstrong, Falcons
  • Teryl Austin, unemployed
  • Eric Bieniemy, Chiefs
  • Jim Caldwell, unemployed
  • George Edwards, Vikings
  • Brian Flores, Patriots
  • Leslie Frazier, Bills
  • Hue Jackson, Bengals
  • Raheem Morris, Falcons
  • Kris Richard, Cowboys
  • Duce Staley, Eagles
only Steve Wilks was hired off that list last year for some context

now obviously there's some absolute no gos on that list lol
George Edward is a name that peaks my interest. It's not his fault that his non-zimmer stint went poorly. Those Bills teams were built horribly. But with him serving under Zimmer, a defensive genius, I could see that working. There's a pretty good chance he's picked up a few things. And Zimmer is a master of talent utilization. In the hands of Zimmer I could see Tyus Bowser turning into an all pro. Edwards had to run a 3-4 defense without Zimmer, he's had to run a 4-3 now, which I think suits the team much better. Sure it's Zimmer calling the shots behind the scenes, but Zimmer hired Edwards, he must've seen something.

He got head coach buzz last year. I think he'd be a logical target.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
At this point I want Harbs to stay here. He looked lost and desperate with Flacco but the games he coached with Lamar, he looked just different. Passionate, daring, ambitious. Just the Harbs this team needs. Let's just find a creative OC from the college ranks and give Lamar another offseason with Urban.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
George Edward is a name that peaks my interest. It's not his fault that his non-zimmer stint went poorly. Those Bills teams were built horribly. But with him serving under Zimmer, a defensive genius, I could see that working. There's a pretty good chance he's picked up a few things. And Zimmer is a master of talent utilization. In the hands of Zimmer I could see Tyus Bowser turning into an all pro. Edwards had to run a 3-4 defense without Zimmer, he's had to run a 4-3 now, which I think suits the team much better. Sure it's Zimmer calling the shots behind the scenes, but Zimmer hired Edwards, he must've seen something.

He got head coach buzz last year. I think he'd be a logical target.
George Edwards has been around the league for a very long time. I remember when he was th lb coach when lavar Arrington was a lb for th skins, under Steve Spurrier.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
At this point I want Harbs to stay here. He looked lost and desperate with Flacco but the games he coached with Lamar, he looked just different. Passionate, daring, ambitious. Just the Harbs this team needs. Let's just find a creative OC from the college ranks and give Lamar another offseason with Urban.
That's the problem right there. I don't see Harbaugh getting rid of M***y if we somehow make the playoffs.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Harbaugh might have an input on draft day I don't want to argue that. But in the end it's still Ozzie who has the final call. Biscotti might also be more involved than we know and who's knows he might have vetoed Ozzie.
Also it isn't Harbaugh's fault that Pat Moriarty and Ozzie can't structure contracts.
The only thing that really pisses me off is his reluctancy to start rookies.
As much as we hate Marty there aren't that many great OC's out there, he's better than given credit for. I still hope we move on though, although there's only so much Marty could've done with Flacco. Let's see how this season plays out. Harbaugh can't fire him, if there isn't exactly a candidate out there who fits the profile and is willing to join us. Who says a OC from the college ranks is capable of running an NFL offense, there aren't many available OC's: Bieniemy but he might prefer a HC gig. DeFillippo is a clear downgrade from Shurmur, no thanks. Zac Taylor (LAR QB coach, Bengals and Dolphins OC in the past.) or Mike McDaniel (49ers) are other guys that come to mind.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
He is a problem. He is hiring all his staff and had way more misses than hits on offense. Also not quickly diagnosing issue, so Pees is allowed to stuff up for years.

It's been enough.
I just don’t think he’s the problem and I think we are calling for his head and asking for change for the sake of change and I’m not a believer of that. The team needs to improve and I agree there but I’ll disagrer in the approach because I don’t think firing Harbaugh solves the issue. He does pick his staff and he got Rosburg and some other good coaches here but he’s had his duds and he is seemingly stuck on keeping certain guys. He appears to have a loyalty but maybe that helps him in recruiting other coaches as well because they know he’ll be loyal to them.

I can’t and won’t blame Pees and Marty or the others we had here when the front office has failed to put a lot of talent around this team since we won the Super Bowl as well. Sure none of our OC were geniuses or anything but they didn’t have a lot to work with there. Kubiak was a genius with his system and got guys to fit it. That’s not easy to do and not many do it.

I agree with you. People say keeping him is keeping mediocrity but I don’t think so. I think the mediocre part of the team was Flacco and the front office and bad play calls. The team looks better with Lamar and that’s all I can say.

Harbaugh might have an input on draft day I don't want to argue that. But in the end it's still Ozzie who has the final call. Biscotti might also be more involved than we know and who's knows he might have vetoed Ozzie.
Also it isn't Harbaugh's fault that Pat Moriarty and Ozzie can't structure contracts.
The only thing that really pisses me off is his reluctancy to start rookies.
As much as we hate Marty there aren't that many great OC's out there, he's better than given credit for. I still hope we move on though, although there's only so much Marty could've done with Flacco. Let's see how this season plays out. Harbaugh can't fire him, if there isn't exactly a candidate out there who fits the profile and is willing to join us. Who says a OC from the college ranks is capable of running an NFL offense, there aren't many available OC's: Bieniemy but he might prefer a HC gig. DeFillippo is a clear downgrade from Shurmur, no thanks. Zac Taylor (LAR QB coach, Bengals and Dolphins OC in the past.) or Mike McDaniel (49ers) are other guys that come to mind.
I honestly share these sentiments pretty strongly. I feel there’s a lot of hope for change for the sake of changing. I think some of this comes from the rumors of Harbaugh getting fired. I don’t personally subscribe to those rumors not because I want to keep him—I only recently decided on that front after being previously very undecided—but because I think they’re more speculation than anything.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I just don’t think he’s the problem and I think we are calling for his head and asking for change for the sake of change and I’m not a believer of that. The team needs to improve and I agree there but I’ll disagrer in the approach because I don’t think firing Harbaugh solves the issue. He does pick his staff and he got Rosburg and some other good coaches here but he’s had his duds and he is seemingly stuck on keeping certain guys. He appears to have a loyalty but maybe that helps him in recruiting other coaches as well because they know he’ll be loyal to them.

I can’t and won’t blame Pees and Marty or the others we had here when the front office has failed to put a lot of talent around this team since we won the Super Bowl as well. Sure none of our OC were geniuses or anything but they didn’t have a lot to work with there. Kubiak was a genius with his system and got guys to fit it. That’s not easy to do and not many do it.
So how is it then that we see the changes that need to be made weeks before JH makes them? And it's not like the fans were wrong. Loyalty is fine until it starts making negative difference in the AFCN standings.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
So how is it then that we see the changes that need to be made weeks before JH makes them? And it's not like the fans were wrong. Loyalty is fine until it starts making negative difference in the AFCN standings.
tell me about it

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Only reason I want Harbaugh fired is because he refuses to fire the guy who is the problem. I know the team is better with Lamar and that Flacco had a string of bad games, but the playcalling is still....terrible. Abysmal. "But the gameplan". Not a valid argument. In the fourth quarter and in overtime the Chiefs had no answer for the run game. Marty: "Air it out kid, be a hero". He shouldn't have to adjust the gameplans where even a idiot fan like myself can figure this out. Yes, Flacco was awful, but do you want Lamar to turn out to be terrible too? You keep Marty. The situational football woes is going to leave a HORRIBLE impact on the guy.

If Steve put a gun to Harbaugh's haed and went "promote Roman or hire a real OC", he could stay. I wouldn't care. Harbaugh is the NFL's Doc Rivers. Good coach but I am convinced he has WAY too much control. There's just too many variables.

-2009 we start drafting guys who have good stories/character guys rather than talent. Because of this we draft guys like Oher, Sergio Kindle, over real talent.
-Cam Cameron was good for developing Joe, but sucked. Trestman was abysmal, and Marty is not as bad as Trestman but the situational football is a fireable offense all on it's own.
-Keeping... Dean Pees... for 6 seasons.
-The fact that he CONSTANTLY sits rookies when it could be of the utmost interest of the teams. There's just too many examples THIS YEAR
  • Starting Hurst over Orlando Brown jr. despite the fact that Hurst is a liability as a run blocker
  • Starting Skura over Bozeman despite Skura being a turnstile because "rookie"
  • Starting Boyle and Maxx over Hurst and Andrews. Sure, Boyle is a great blocker, but Flex Andrews or Hurst out to the slot for god sake's you moron.
  • Playing Peanut over Kenny Young. Young has flashed the ability to become a quality WILL in this league and you're splitting time with him. Peanut makes an occasional splash play, but a quality player he is not. Not like Kenny could solve our coverage woes Harbaugh.
  • Not capitalizing on Paul Kruger and forcing the guy to play out of his natural position. Becomes formiddable situational pass rusher, gets big contract elsewhere.
  • Not capitalizing on Pernell Mcphee. Becomes formidable pass rusher, signs elsewhere
  • Waiting until Art Jones' final season to start him over average players like Corey Redding, or crappy players like Kemoatu. Becomes quality player, signs elsewhere.
  • Keeping Zuttah over Jensen, who has positive experience in both a zone and power scheme. Jensen becomes a starting caliber center and gets a big contract elsewhere.
  • Starting a walking, talking, liability like Za'Darius Smith over Tim williams and Tyus Bowser despite our pass rush struggling. It was a BS argument to start with for the love of god.But "rookies".
  • Starting a struggling Brandon Carr from last season over a FIRST ROUND PICK in Humphrey who down the line, and up to this point has been a #1 corner.

DO I NEED TO CONTINUE?

He needs to go. There's no argument for him staying at this point. And wherever he goes, that FO is going to need to hire a staff FOR HIM.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
George Edwards has been around the league for a very long time. I remember when he was th lb coach when lavar Arrington was a lb for th skins, under Steve Spurrier.
He's 50. Not too old either. He's, at least according to Zimmer, an integral part of constructing the gameplan and the defense, at least up until this year, has improved very season up to this point.

I think moving on from Roman and Urban would be a mistake. The parts of the gameplan that have been effective, like last season, have Roman's finger prints written all over. A big reason Roman has failed his last two stints as the OC... Well look at the QBs. Alex Smith was the best of the bunch that he worked with by far. Kapernick was solid in 2012, but once teams figured him out it was over for him. He never had the mental capacity to be a good QB.... Hell Lamar right now is further ahead in football intelligence. And Tyrod was solid, but like Kaepernick was not a football smart QB(I don't want to here anything about the "w word"). It makes too much sense. He runs a good scheme that makes a run game impossible to defend, he knows how to effectively use two TE sets. In the hands of a good QB that could work beautifully.

Not to mention, I would just trust him more with our defensive personel. He took a guy like Anthony Barr, a raw college edge rusher with world class athleticism, and turned him into a premier SAM linebacker in this league. Tell me that it doesn't sound familiar. Kenny Young looks like the ideal WILL, and CJ Mosley fits a lot better at a MIKE ILB. He would effectively know how to plan for a guy like Tim Williams, who works better as an EDGE in a 4-3. Judon could also do well as a power rusher in a 4-3(stop...trying...to make him... a speed rusher). Willie Henry would do well in a 4-3 3T, and Pierce could be an effective NT.

It makes too much logical sense for this team though

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Only reason I want Harbaugh fired is because he refuses to fire the guy who is the problem. I know the team is better with Lamar and that Flacco had a string of bad games, but the playcalling is still....terrible. Abysmal. "But the gameplan". Not a valid argument. In the fourth quarter and in overtime the Chiefs had no answer for the run game. Marty: "Air it out kid, be a hero". He shouldn't have to adjust the gameplans where even a idiot fan like myself can figure this out. Yes, Flacco was awful, but do you want Lamar to turn out to be terrible too? You keep Marty. The situational football woes is going to leave a HORRIBLE impact on the guy.

If Steve put a gun to Harbaugh's haed and went "promote Roman or hire a real OC", he could stay. I wouldn't care. Harbaugh is the NFL's Doc Rivers. Good coach but I am convinced he has WAY too much control. There's just too many variables.

-2009 we start drafting guys who have good stories/character guys rather than talent. Because of this we draft guys like Oher, Sergio Kindle, over real talent.
-Cam Cameron was good for developing Joe, but sucked. Trestman was abysmal, and Marty is not as bad as Trestman but the situational football is a fireable offense all on it's own.
-The fact that he CONSTANTLY sits rookies when it could be of the utmost interest of the teams. There's just too many examples THIS YEAR
  • Starting Hurst over Orlando Brown jr. despite the fact that Hurst is a liability as a run blocker
  • Starting Boyle and Maxx over Hurst and Andrews. Sure, Boyle is a great blocker, but Flex Andrews or Hurst out to the slot for god sake's you moron.
  • Playing Peanut over Kenny Young. Young has flashed the ability to become a quality WILL in this league and you're splitting time with him. Peanut makes an occasional splash play, but a quality player he is not. Not like Kenny could solve our coverage woes Harbaugh.
  • Not capitalizing on Paul Kruger and forcing the guy to play out of his natural position. Becomes formiddable situational pass rusher, gets big contract elsewhere.
  • Not capitalizing on Pernell Mcphee. Becomes formidable pass rusher, signs elsewhere
  • Waiting until Art Jones' final season to start him over average players like Corey Redding, or crappy players like Kemoatu. Becomes quality player, signs elsewhere.
  • Keeping Zuttah over Jensen, who has positive experience in both a zone and power scheme. Jensen becomes a starting caliber center and gets a big contract elsewhere.
  • Starting a walking, talking, liability like Za'Darius Smith over Tim williams and Tyus Bowser despite our pass rush struggling. It was a BS argument to start with for the love of god.But "rookies".
  • Starting a struggling Brandon Carr from last season over a FIRST ROUND PICK in Humphrey who down the line, and up to this point has been a #1 corner.

DO I NEED TO CONTINUE?

He needs to go. There's no argument for him staying at this point. And wherever he goes, that FO is going to need to hire a staff FOR HIM.
Good points and I fully understand how frustrating this situation is. But Roman...I'm not sure, he hasn't been calling plays for 3 years and his last two seasons in Buffalo were bad, even if you take Tyrods play into account. remember the 49ers kept passing instead of running the ball with Kaep and Gore. The key is keeping Urban.
Pat Moritarty our cap guru, I swear if you compare how he structures contracts vs other GM's/cap gurus it's bad. Not a single workout bonus in any contract(I know they're usually only around 200k, but they don't count against future cap/dead money). Way too high signing bonuses, barely any roster bonuses. These are all tools to help you being more flexible with your future salary cap (less dead money) and players can still get the same amount of guaranteed money, it's all about how you structure your contracts.

Last edited:

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Good question and I don’t have an answer. I think more than anything Harbaugh trusts his coordinators to do their job because he knows what his strengths are and aren’t. That’s part of the problem but I’m not sure how successful HC are calling their own plays outside a select few. I’m assuming that’s why he doesn’t have Brown Jr start over Hurst, for instance, or Lamar over Flacco.

DO I NEED TO CONTINUE?

Sorry man TLDR I stopped and skimmed but I’ll say this: I’m not a fan of Marty but I don’t think he fired him because Joe wanted him. We draft a new QB, which I think Harbaugh was on board with doing, and it’s hard to change the game plans completely for Lamar. Marty has had a tough gig as well having to adjust and don’t forget guys Marty called some great games early this year. Does he get annoying with not using guys he should be using? Damn right, I don’t get the lack of TE involvement with a QB who can gash you.

As for the rookie comment, see above but also remember John has started rookies before so I’m thinking it’s more the decision of the coordinator than the HC. I think he lets them decide.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Good question and I don’t have an answer. I think more than anything Harbaugh trusts his coordinators to do their job because he knows what his strengths are and aren’t. That’s part of the problem but I’m not sure how successful HC are calling their own plays outside a select few. I’m assuming that’s why he doesn’t have Brown Jr start over Hurst, for instance, or Lamar over Flacco.

He should have a feel for what's going on in the game and rather than instruct coordinators on what specific plays to call he should take some responsibility and give a fucking order on what the general tendency needs to be.

Remember AFC championship game 2012 in NE? He demanded from Caldwell to open up the offense in second half and we shut them out and blew them away.

That kind of stuff.