• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Head Coaching Candidates

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
He should have a feel for what's going on in the game and rather than instruct coordinators on what specific plays to call he should take some responsibility and give a fucking order on what the general tendency needs to be.

Remember AFC championship game 2012 in NE? He demanded from Caldwell to open up the offense in second half and we shut them out and blew them away.

That kind of stuff.
I’m hoping things change with Lamar. He’s still developing so there will be some adjustment as we have seen but we will need to see if and when they try to turn it loose,

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Sorry man TLDR I stopped and skimmed but I’ll say this: I’m not a fan of Marty but I don’t think he fired him because Joe wanted him. We draft a new QB, which I think Harbaugh was on board with doing, and it’s hard to change the game plans completely for Lamar. Marty has had a tough gig as well having to adjust and don’t forget guys Marty called some great games early this year. Does he get annoying with not using guys he should be using? Damn right, I don’t get the lack of TE involvement with a QB who can gash you.

As for the rookie comment, see above but also remember John has started rookies before so I’m thinking it’s more the decision of the coordinator than the HC. I think he lets them decide.
If we didnt fire him because Joe, who's fault is that really? If you're the HC, you're the boss. If your QB is going to complain, then move on. Flacco had no leverage later on, we drafted his replacement.

Again, if it's the coordinators misses the obvious solution, why not fire them? Martindale is a lot better than Pees, but it's clear with how Martindale has been using his talent that the talent was bailing Dean out. If you're that dependent on your coordinators then you have to hold them accountable. Which it's clear he's barely ever done.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Next season, whether Harbaugh is coach or not, and whether Roman is offensive coordinator or not, I’d like to have James Urban assist in the offensive game plan. I’m sure he is partly involved now, but I’d like his responsibilities to increase and maybe allow for a transition as well. Urban is a very good wr coach (Bengals) and as we have seen a good qb coach (Eagles and Ravens).

Thoughts?

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Next season, whether Harbaugh is coach or not, and whether Roman is offensive coordinator or not, I’d like to have James Urban assist in the offensive game plan. I’m sure he is partly involved now, but I’d like his responsibilities to increase and maybe allow for a transition as well. Urban is a very good wr coach (Bengals) and as we have seen a good qb coach (Eagles and Ravens).

Thoughts?
I think Urban might have already added some play designs, first and foremost he's in charge of Lamar's development. In the off season we obviously need to revise our playbook and I think he knows best what Lamars capable of and can add those concepts to our playbook.
Game plan wise I'm not sure how their process works, Urban should be providing some input based on LJ's progess.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we didnt fire him because Joe, who's fault is that really? If you're the HC, you're the boss. If your QB is going to complain, then move on. Flacco had no leverage later on, we drafted his replacement.

Again, if it's the coordinators misses the obvious solution, why not fire them? Martindale is a lot better than Pees, but it's clear with how Martindale has been using his talent that the talent was bailing Dean out. If you're that dependent on your coordinators then you have to hold them accountable. Which it's clear he's barely ever done.
So many levels to this answer but let’s dissect it. Who’s fault is it? Sure, Harbaugh could be to blame but if he fired Marty then maybe that causes issues with Flacco? I remember issues with Zorn getting fired even if they were small and not largely voiced. Also you want your QB to have some say in the OC right? I mean that’s the guy who will call the plays and it would be good to have both on the same page of you have an Aaron Rodgers situation (sorry, IceBowl, please skip). I don’t think you can blanket this like you’re doing because it just doesn’t work. It’s easy to throw blame around but you really need to look at the depths of a decision. I don’t know the details except what we’re directly told but that’s my opinion

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter

Thoughts?
I've been thinking about it. But I'm not sure being a great positional coach means being a good game planner or decision maker. In the case of Urban, I believe he would already have an OC job if that was the case.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I've been thinking about it. But I'm not sure being a great positional coach means being a good game planner or decision maker. In the case of Urban, I believe he would already have an OC job if that was the case.
He was an assistant OC for the Eagles, and he's coached more than one position (long time WRs coach as well). Plus, we've seen the success of Freddie Kitchens who was a positional coach for longer than Urban was before he got a shot.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer

Thoughts?
Harbaugh: Marty as QB coach

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
He was an assistant OC for the Eagles, and he's coached more than one position (long time WRs coach as well). Plus, we've seen the success of Freddie Kitchens who was a positional coach for longer than Urban was before he got a shot.
I know he coached WR. My point was, there is a difference between teaching the technical parts of the game and devising a strategy to exploit a team's weakness and your team's strength. Those are completely different stuff. So as good a QB and WR coach Urban has been, it doesn't necessarily involve that he would be a good OC. Although I didn't know he used to be an assistant OC, which is encouraging.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I know he coached WR. My point was, there is a difference between teaching the technical parts of the game and devising a strategy to exploit a team's weakness and your team's strength. Those are completely different stuff. So as good a QB and WR coach Urban has been, it doesn't necessarily involve that he would be a good OC. Although I didn't know he used to be an assistant OC, which is encouraging.

The other thing though is that as a qb coach you’ve basically got to be able to teach a game plan but also teach a qb how to beat defences on any given play on any given down which is definitely a skill that translates well to being an OC

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Although Kris Richard is Dallas’ Defensive Backs coach, he is a big part of why that team is doing so well this season and I feel he is going to have some interviews this offseason. I think we should do our due diligence and br8ng him in for an interview.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Looks like dirk koetter will be fired. Not sure if now or end of season.

If Harbaugh somehow sticks around, but fires Marty, he may be someone we could bring in as an OC. Thoughts

rossihunter2

Staff Member

If Harbaugh somehow sticks around, but fires Marty, he may be someone we could bring in as an OC. Thoughts

Dirk koetter took over the play calling of the successfully running bucs offence and turned them into a terrible offence that week

If I’m honest I reckon dirk koetters gonna have to go be a position coach of offensive assistant somewhere to rebuild his reputation

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

Dirk koetter took over the play calling of the successfully running bucs offence and turned them into a terrible offence that week

If I’m honest I reckon dirk koetters gonna have to go be a position coach of offensive assistant somewhere to rebuild his reputation
If I'm not mistaken, Falcons fans were happy when he left.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Howabout Monken

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Todd monken would be a better candidate sure - but he’d likely have to be a HC candidate rather than move laterally to be our OC

And honestly I’ve not really noticed what system or schemes he runs
Not if dirk got fired and monken wasn’t retained