• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Free Agency

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Truth is, this team has been the same since 13 for the most part. Offense sucks defense carries most of the weight. Whenever the offense turns it around, if they do, Jimmy's injured and defense sucks. The past 2 seasons ended basically the exact same way. Offense is super trash for at least half the season and when they finally decide to turn it up the defense clocks out early. Insert small lead, cue unclutch defense, rinse and repeat.
Though we do have a different defensive coordinator this year, and that does make a big difference.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
In regards to Grant's physical, there's a lot wrong some on us, some on Grant himself and the NFL. Grant has played in all 64 games of his career in his first four years. Ok great, but this injury did not date back to the "final" regular season game. CBS Sports has an article posted following week 14 where he first suffered the ankle injury. Head Coach Jay Gruden said he would be day to day leading up to the week 15 game. Meaning he played the final 4 weeks with an ankle injury that he knew about. He also knew this going into free agency, meaning he never did try to get whatever caused him to fail his physical fixed. He should have attempted to get the ankle issue solved knowing he would have to pass a physical to sign a contract.

Article: https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/redskins-ryan-grant-sustains-ankle-injury/

Mike Florio pointed out the big issue with the legal tampering period days before free agency is that players can't visit teams' facilities, meaning they can not get a green light on a medical check before going to the negotiating table. For us we see he has played in all 64 games and he played hurt and think ok it's March, he should be fine. We offer him $29M before he even gets a green light on his medical and we think we have a deal. He failed, so now we just wasted time talking to a guy we thought we were going to sign only for him to fail a physical. That time could have been spent on Nelson, maybe make a run at Watkins or Robinson, a bigger run on Graham or anyone who would have passed a physical.

Lastly I don't see why we are taking all the heat for this and somehow it looks like we backed out of a deal just because everyone says it was a bad contract. If this was a reasonable contract, it's just another failed physical and no big deal. Due to how big the contract was, and because nobody else saw the increasing WR market grow in a matter of days, we had to pay that in order to keep up with the market. If we had low balled him, someone else may have been willing to give him $29M based off what the market was saying. Then that team would be looking foolish for signing him to that deal after he would have failed their physical.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
In regards to Grant's physical, there's a lot wrong some on us, some on Grant himself and the NFL. Grant has played in all 64 games of his career in his first four years. Ok great, but this injury did not date back to the "final" regular season game. CBS Sports has an article posted following week 14 where he first suffered the ankle injury. Head Coach Jay Gruden said he would be day to day leading up to the week 15 game. Meaning he played the final 4 weeks with an ankle injury that he knew about. He also knew this going into free agency, meaning he never did try to get whatever caused him to fail his physical fixed. He should have attempted to get the ankle issue solved knowing he would have to pass a physical to sign a contract.

Article: https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/redskins-ryan-grant-sustains-ankle-injury/

Mike Florio pointed out the big issue with the legal tampering period days before free agency is that players can't visit teams' facilities, meaning they can not get a green light on a medical check before going to the negotiating table. For us we see he has played in all 64 games and he played hurt and think ok it's March, he should be fine. We offer him $29M before he even gets a green light on his medical and we think we have a deal. He failed, so now we just wasted time talking to a guy we thought we were going to sign only for him to fail a physical. That time could have been spent on Nelson, maybe make a run at Watkins or Robinson, a bigger run on Graham or anyone who would have passed a physical.

Lastly I don't see why we are taking all the heat for this and somehow it looks like we backed out of a deal just because everyone says it was a bad contract. If this was a reasonable contract, it's just another failed physical and no big deal. Due to how big the contract was, and because nobody else saw the increasing WR market grow in a matter of days, we had to pay that in order to keep up with the market. If we had low balled him, someone else may have been willing to give him $29M based off what the market was saying. Then that team would be looking foolish for signing him to that deal after he would have failed their physical.

It’s cuz Crabtree was cut. And the league knows the ravens lust for 30+ yr old cap cuts with diminishing skills. lol

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
How fucking disappointing is it that we could have had Allen Robinson easily with 5 million for Brown 8 mil from grant and the 6+ mil left over? What a shit show. We need to bring back Wallace or else we will actually have no one.

arnie_uk

Veteran
i dont get what was so bad about the grant contract?
You wait a few days you like knock a mil or two of the yearly average. We jumped the gun in a panic imo. I bet he won't even have another team bring him in to test him out.

Shame for the guy though, hope it's not an orr scenario

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You wait a few days you like knock a mil or two of the yearly average. We jumped the gun in a panic imo. I bet he won't even have another team bring him in to test him out.

Shame for the guy though, hope it's not an orr scenario

sounds like its his ankle - so at least for him its unlikely to be life threatening if he plays football again like orr - but yeah its unfortunate for him

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
i dont get what was so bad about the grant contract?

He thinks a quality backup or anything less than a #1 should play for vet minimum apparently lol

You want to take a player like Grant you do it in the middle rounds for a fraction of the price. Plain and simple. Our money is better spent elsewhere. Whether it be a BETTER WR(Crabtree) or an olinemen(which we are quickly approaching desperation levels for if Skura and Lewis are starting), or an ILB. Grant is a #3, and nothing more than that. You can find a decent slot guy in the middle rounds for a fraction of the price.

We literally were saved from ourselves and now have money to go make a better investment. Be thankful

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
There's no way we let Crabtree walk without a contract today, given the WR FA situation
Not to mention he was damn good when Roman was his OC. The Raiders had their plethora of problems this year and Crabtree is one of the best #2s in the game. Please sign him.
Without Grant if we got Crabtree and Brown. I love those two upgrades tbh. After that I'd wait till the draft to go get two WRs and a TE. I'd focus my efforts on the offensive line, namely the center at LG positions. I don't want Lewis to start at T but I can live with that