• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

What Would You Do if You Were Ozzie?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Couldn't agree more! I wouldn't mind mortgating every pick next year if it lands us Josh Rosen. That is how critical a QB pick is next year.

i dont agree with that - ill take the highest player that falls to us im not losing picks that could be spent on other offensive positions unless we find ourselves looking in from the outside in terms of talent - say if there's obviously 10 top end talents and we are picking 12 - that's the only time im gonna condone giving up picks

im not packaging together our whole draft for rosen because he'd have literally no one to throw to or have block for him next year...

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Coaching staff is gone, harbaugh has overstayed his welcome and his unwillingness to shitcan bad coordinators and find good coordinators has run this team into the ground. His unwillingness to play the most talented players because of his square peg round hole style of coaching is keeping guys like Tim Williams and Willie Henry off the field in key pass rush situations despite having no better options.

Unless we can get Rosen Barkley or darnold, I'm trying my damnedest to trade back in hopes for another 2nd rounder and potentially a first rounder next year.

First round after trade back I'm going with quenton nelson, Calvin Ridley, mike mcglinchey, mincah fitz, Conor Williams, in that order of priority.

Second round I'm hoping one of baker mayfield or Luke falk are available, maybe even Lamar Jackson, with the other pick acquired via trade im looking for Anthony miller or Troy fumagalli, regardless of whether or not I go with Ridley in 1, both guys are future stud pass catchers and feature players. Bryce love and bo scarbrough are also in the mix.

New coaching staff and new young qb will light a fire under joes ass, having a refurbished oline featuring quenton Nelson or mike mcglinchey, or a new receiving group including Ridley or miller or fumagalli, will inject a shitload of life into our offense.

Defense should be good for years health and coaching willing, go all in on offense for next 2 drafts.

Don't pay average or oft injured guys like Dixon, maxx, Lewis, or dare I say jimmy(huge fan, one of the best in the league, but injured every year with a big cap number). Keep the damn bloat down and don't have half your cap sitting on IR.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
As far as as defensive coordinators go, I would call Chuck Pagano and let him know if the Colts get rid of him, he has a home if he wants to come back.

There's a new rumor out there that this could be bruce arians last year in Arizona. Man imagine bruce handling the offense and chuck doing defense.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i dont agree with that - ill take the highest player that falls to us im not losing picks that could be spent on other offensive positions unless we find ourselves looking in from the outside in terms of talent - say if there's obviously 10 top end talents and we are picking 12 - that's the only time im gonna condone giving up picks

im not packaging together our whole draft for rosen because he'd have literally no one to throw to or have block for him next year...
Exactly my thought process.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
There's a new rumor out there that this could be bruce arians last year in Arizona. Man imagine bruce handling the offense and chuck doing defense.

he personally went to twitter to deny it - i always thought he'd bow out when palmer and fitz do and i assume that's at the end of the year - id imagine that if this is his last year in arizona its his last year in the league

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
he personally went to twitter to deny it - i always thought he'd bow out when palmer and fitz do and i assume that's at the end of the year - id imagine that if this is his last year in arizona its his last year in the league
Yeah, he almost retired until Pagano called him to be the OC for Andrew Luck. Them the unthinkable happens, Pagano comes down with cancer and Arians gets control of the offense fast tracking him to the Cards HC job.

Yeah, he’ll retire when he’s done in AZ

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah, he almost retired until Pagano called him to be the OC for Andrew Luck. Them the unthinkable happens, Pagano comes down with cancer and Arians gets control of the offense fast tracking him to the Cards HC job.

Yeah, he’ll retire when he’s done in AZ

exactly - i think he was hurt by pittsburgh not giving him the job also when they could have - the cards and palmer and arians really were the perfect fit in terms of group mentality and shared experience when they all came together

RayRayRaven

Veteran
Let’s play a game. Assuming we finish out the year the way we’ve been playing, we’re destined for a top 10 pick in the draft. If you were Ozzie Newsome, or the front office in general, what would you do in order to bring this team back into contention for the 2018-2019 season?

?

cant even participate in a thread with a hypothesis that ozze is the decision maker next year. he is the root of our problems.

Fire ozze, hire a new G.M. let him pick his new coach and coordinators.

anything less and we remain down the rat hole. this is about the future now.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
cant even participate in a thread with a hypothesis that ozze is the decision maker next year. he is the root of our problems.

Fire ozze, hire a new G.M. let him pick his new coach and coordinators.

anything less and we remain down the rat hole. this is about the future now.
So then you would re-sign lol

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Coaching staff is gone, harbaugh has overstayed his welcome and his unwillingness to shitcan bad coordinators and find good coordinators has run this team into the ground. His unwillingness to play the most talented players because of his square peg round hole style of coaching is keeping guys like Tim Williams and Willie Henry off the field in key pass rush situations despite having no better options.

Unless we can get Rosen Barkley or darnold, I'm trying my damnedest to trade back in hopes for another 2nd rounder and potentially a first rounder next year.

First round after trade back I'm going with quenton nelson, Calvin Ridley, mike mcglinchey, mincah fitz, Conor Williams, in that order of priority.

Second round I'm hoping one of baker mayfield or Luke falk are available, maybe even Lamar Jackson, with the other pick acquired via trade im looking for Anthony miller or Troy fumagalli, regardless of whether or not I go with Ridley in 1, both guys are future stud pass catchers and feature players. Bryce love and bo scarbrough are also in the mix.

New coaching staff and new young qb will light a fire under joes ass, having a refurbished oline featuring quenton Nelson or mike mcglinchey, or a new receiving group including Ridley or miller or fumagalli, will inject a shitload of life into our offense.

Defense should be good for years health and coaching willing, go all in on offense for next 2 drafts.

Don't pay average or oft injured guys like Dixon, maxx, Lewis, or dare I say jimmy(huge fan, one of the best in the league, but injured every year with a big cap number). Keep the damn bloat down and don't have half your cap sitting on IR.
I really like this. I’d be all for it. Who would you replace Harbaugh with?

Prino61

Practice Squad
Telling Ozzy to draft better is like telling someone to pick better lottery numbers

Not even close. With the lottery you're basically taking a shot in the dark but drafting players you actually have scouts that evaluate players for 2 to 3 year before we draft them yet we still lack playmakers. If drafting talent is like winning the lottery Pittsburgh have to be some lucky SOBs because they seem to win the lottery year after year

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor

I like this except the idea of trading back for extra 2nd round picks considering our recent success with those picks. Its really frustrating because we need to build through the draft and plug holes through the draft because of previous misses. Nobodys doing anything right at this point

Not even close. With the lottery you're basically taking a shot in the dark but drafting players you actually have scouts that evaluate players for 2 to 3 year before we draft them yet we still lack playmakers. If drafting talent is like winning the lottery Pittsburgh have to be some lucky SOBs because they seem to win the lottery year after year

Pittsburgh was lucky, Bell was a second round pick and Brown was a sixth rounder, both would go top 10 in a redraft with the benefit of hindsight.

This is true of any fan message board

This is has nothing to do with what I said, I was making a point to another poster about how easy it is to point to players that we missed after the fact, nobody admits when their predictions from 3-4 years ago sucked.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I still think Harbs is a good HC, but yeah, it's probably time to change things up. Main candidates to replace him would be Teryl Austin, Matt Patricia, and Mike Vrabel. In the draft I'd trade down and take Billy Price in the latter half of the first, and the two best playmakers I can get in the second (WR, RB, or TE). Even if Flacco never returns to his old self, at least the next QB will have pieces in place to help him succeed.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I still think Harbs is a good HC, but yeah, it's probably time to change things up. Main candidates to replace him would be Teryl Austin, Matt Patricia, and Mike Vrabel. In the draft I'd trade down and take Billy Price in the latter half of the first, and the two best playmakers I can get in the second (WR, RB, or TE). Even if Flacco never returns to his old self, at least the next QB will have pieces in place to help him succeed.
I really don't like almost anything you said here.

First of all, Harbaugh isn't doing his job well - results show that. How is he good if this is true over 4 of the last five years? He was selecting (and more importantly - wasn't selecting, you know who) offensive coordinators and it's been painful to watch. The only good one dropped into his lap because Harbaugh wanted someone else, so that someone else recommended Kubiak.
Our defenses are mostly hit and miss since 2013 - when they play well, they can't sustain it. It used to be because single player gets season ending injury, everything just crumbles into gravel. This year it's even worse - after all the FA signings and draft picks in last two offseasons, we can't beat procession of rookie or career backup quarterbacks. Yet, Harbaugh gives full support to his defensive coach because why?

If he is still good, can you please explain why it's time to change things up?

I don't like head coach candidates you mention, either. Maybe Austin because he is obviously good defensive coach but I'm not sure if he's ready.

Two other guys I wouldn't touch. Patricia had interviews already and did not get a job - that tells me enough. All his deficiencies would be well masked under BB and I don't want to find out about them after we are the first to give him a job.
Vrabel (as a player) comes from a long line of teams I can't stand and I think he'd be a bad match. As a coach, sample is just too small to even consider him.

Draft choices I hate. We'll most likely have a high draft pick. I don't want to trade it down, then hope for playmaker in the second round. Again. Plus, we don't need a playmaker, we need playmakers, shitload of them.

So, nothing really excites me about the outlook you are proposing. It's really depressing. It pushed me because I can see our FO doing stupid shit like this again. Thus the rant.