• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Dennis Pitta - Designed Offense is 1 Read and Check Down

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Just watching the games it feels like the philosophy is 'don't turn the ball over' which is good and all with teams like the Chiefs who have playmakers who can make critical plays after the catch. Where as with the Ravens offense when you don't have a mobile quarterback and receivers are not good at getting separation, it won't work. Flacco has the strongest arm in the NFL so why doesn't the team use his strength anymore? Hell I would rather take 2 interceptions a game if the offense could put up 24 points consistently and not have so many three and outs. The philosophy since Trestman got here has changed drastically. Cameron, Caldwell, and Kubiak at least at one point or another knew their quarterback's strength and used it. When you have a Mike Wallace or a Breshad Perriman they might not always beat their corner 10 yards within the LOS but if you give Joe 4-5 seconds and they get 20+ yards downfield you will find them open or an underneath route opened up because of their route.

Flacco looks clumsy in the pocket and it looks like he doesn't know what to do. But it's not like he has been that way his entire career. For that reason I blame it on the coaching staff. You are giving a guy $20 million a year to check down after the first read isn't there. He has the arm of a $20 million dollar quarterback in the league. Use it. You went and got wide receivers Wallace, Maclin, and Perriman all with great straight line speed and you don't use it. I do not understand.
There is something to be said about coaching. I agree, this started when Trestman and company got here. They just don’t know how to utilize Flacco to his strength, diagnose the opponents weekness and make in game adjustments.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree with both of your statements. No way am I ok with Engram. We need fresh blood for both wr and qb coach.

Engram needs to go, for sure. We're terrible at drafting WRs, but it doesn't help matters when our WR coach can't develop them to save his life. It's extremely disappointing to see the same mistakes from our WRs every year (consistently dropping passes, poor route-running, trouble getting off the press, etc.).

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
based on the link bmore posted he actually is.

while people love to bash the OC the all22-tape suggest the QB has a big hand in it as well.

cant really blame the OC when others guys are open and the QB decides to throw it late to the TE who is covered lol

I can, know why? Bc Joe will do exactly what you tell him to do. That kills me, when he had more command of the offense and was calling plays he actually did well. Joe is not stupid by any means.

He has proved it with his play in the playoffs were it seems like he is given more command.

Tru11

Practice Squad
I can, know why? Bc Joe will do exactly what you tell him to do. That kills me, when he had more command of the offense and was calling plays he actually did well. Joe is not stupid by any means.

He has proved it with his play in the playoffs were it seems like he is given more command.

when was he calling plays on his own?

he audibled at times but thats about it.
he pretty much has the same command of the offense as he did after cameron left.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

i dont remember joe ever actually callong the plays tbh.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
when was he calling plays on his own?

he audibled at times but thats about it.
he pretty much has the same command of the offense as he did after cameron left.

i dont remember joe ever actually callong the plays tbh.

With Kubiak he would audible out of plays of his choosing. I remember Joe pointing at Kubiak after calling out of a play and it was successful.

Also under Cam Cameron, he had a few games where Joe started hot and threw a pair of TD's out of the shotgun and he would call some plays.

Joe has the ability, when given the opportunity. He isn't a top tier QB and he doesn't have to be. I am ok with that

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
With Kubiak he would audible out of plays of his choosing. I remember Joe pointing at Kubiak after calling out of a play and it was successful.

Also under Cam Cameron, he had a few games where Joe started hot and threw a pair of TD's out of the shotgun and he would call some plays.

Joe has the ability, when given the opportunity. He isn't a top tier QB and he doesn't have to be. I am ok with that
Just so we're clear, an audible is usually a designed play call alternative, not the quarterback calling his own play.

The coach says basically, "Here's the first look I want you to consider, but if this isn't looking good, here's a backup."

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Just so we're clear, an audible is usually a designed play call alternative, not the quarterback calling his own play.

The coach says basically, "Here's the first look I want you to consider, but if this isn't looking good, here's a backup."
While I agree it isn't Flacco picking a play out of thin air there are usually at least 5-6 different audibles per play in each different formation so there is some degree for Flacco to choose.

Tru11

Practice Squad

that is just an audible.

Tru11

Practice Squad
While I agree it isn't Flacco picking a play out of thin air there are usually at least 5-6 different audibles per play in each different formation so there is some degree for Flacco to choose.

yup and the play he chooses is what he runs.

so why exactly are people blaming the OC then?

Sooky

Pro Bowler
yup and the play he chooses is what he runs.

so why exactly are people blaming the OC then?
Marty ultimately decides what those audible plays are and calls the formations. Flacco has a tiny bit of wiggle room in play calling but when the entire offensive philosophy does not fit any of the players' strengths then that is an issue.

Also when ex players come out and say the Ravens offense was designed to be a 1 read then dump off offense you know it is an issue. If Flacco is told to find Buck Allen #2 if #1 is not open, Marty is ultimately his boss and has to do what he says. I'm sure a lot of teams have already caught onto this even before Pitta said anything.

Tru11

Practice Squad
Marty ultimately decides what those audible plays are and calls the formations. Flacco has a tiny bit of wiggle room in play calling but when the entire offensive philosophy does not fit any of the players' strengths then that is an issue.

so everytime flacco audibles to another play and it works its tnx to the OC?

offensive philosophy was harbaugh choice for the record.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
so everytime flacco audibles to another play and it works its tnx to the OC?

offensive philosophy was harbaugh choice for the record.

After all these years I expected to see Joe F really get into his own and OWN the offense and call plays on the fly with the aid of a coordinator. Even Cutler has more wiggle room with the Dolphins under Gase.

Granted they are trash and it is because they too have a horrible offensive line and it's Cutler. I wish we had more insight, but what Pitta said is very telling.

Tru11

Practice Squad
After all these years I expected to see Joe F really get into his own and OWN the offense and call plays on the fly with the aid of a coordinator. Even Cutler has more wiggle room with the Dolphins under Gase.

Granted they are trash and it is because they too have a horrible offensive line and it's Cutler. I wish we had more insight, but what Pitta said is very telling.

flacco has never shown the ability to be able to do that lol.
why would you expect that.

if pitta is right then its actually telling that the coaches probably came to the same conclusion and decided to go this route.

tbh i dont think that is the case at all.
every OC has a hot read/1st read and a checkdown on every pass play in their book.

basicially after snap you look at the hot read , if it aint open depending on the pressure you go through progression and or check it down.

i actualy think flacco is just flusterd feeling pressure that aint there and checking it down to quickly.
most likely tnx to his injury and the shitty o-line the past 2 seasons.
cant really blame him for that.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
flacco has never shown the ability to be able to do that lol.
why would you expect that.

if pitta is right then its actually telling that the coaches probably came to the same conclusion and decided to go this route.

tbh i dont think that is the case at all.
every OC has a hot read/1st read and a checkdown on every pass play in their book.

basicially after snap you look at the hot read , if it aint open depending on the pressure you go through progression and or check it down.

i actualy think flacco is just flusterd feeling pressure that aint there and checking it down to quickly.
most likely tnx to his injury and the shitty o-line the past 2 seasons.
cant really blame him for that.

I am comparing this Flacco to January Joe, something is WAY off with that. We don't know if somehow this team makes the playoffs if he still has that.

Tank

Hall of Famer

Also when ex players come out and say the Ravens offense was designed to be a 1 read then dump off offense you know it is an issue. If Flacco is told to find Buck Allen #2 if #1 is not open, Marty is ultimately his boss and has to do what he says. I'm sure a lot of teams have already caught onto this even before Pitta said anything.
Yeah. No one is tighter with Joe than Pitta and he wouldn't dare say this if it were anything other than the confirmed truth. Only thing I can figure is that they thought the makeshift/injured line couldn't handle the load at times. Hopefully it all changes coming out of the bye. Flacco has always been best when working out of the sugar/no huddle and able to get into a rhythm.

Tru11

Practice Squad
I am comparing this Flacco to January Joe, something is WAY off with that. We don't know if somehow this team makes the playoffs if he still has that.

there was always a huge difference between regular season and play off joe TBH.

it just seems to be getting wider.

my bet is on this WC crap we tried to force him to run

Sooky

Pro Bowler
43% of Joe Flacco's throws this season are at or behind the line of scrimmage.
Which is the issue I've been trying to bring up. The team needs to throw the ball in the middle of the field. Doesn't Flacco have some insane stat for his QBR in the middle of the field deep? Why don't we use anything past 5 yards? Strong armed QB and he is utilized way wrong.