• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Dennis Pitta - Designed Offense is 1 Read and Check Down

Tru11

Practice Squad
Which is the issue I've been trying to bring up. The team needs to throw the ball in the middle of the field. Doesn't Flacco have some insane stat for his QBR in the middle of the field deep? Why don't we use anything past 5 yards? Strong armed QB and he is utilized way wrong.

problem is that teams are sitting in the middle of the field taking away those throws.

until this offense can show they can beat teams on the outside or deep its going to be like this.

part is on the play caller but also part will be on flacco to make things happen when the chance is there.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Which is the issue I've been trying to bring up. The team needs to throw the ball in the middle of the field. Doesn't Flacco have some insane stat for his QBR in the middle of the field deep? Why don't we use anything past 5 yards? Strong armed QB and he is utilized way wrong.
It absolutely doesn't make any sense how they use him.

Marty: Flacco has a strong arm. Marty's brilliant idea: design the west coast offense that limits his throws up the middle and deep passing and keeps emphasizes the short passing game.

Flacco: Get this douche out of here.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
so now john harbaugh is mid-presser defending the team from the "criticism" by dennis of the 1 read --> checkdown - apparently sometimes the checkdown is the 2nd read but more likely its the 3rd or 4th or 5th...

says dennis called him because the comments were misconstrued...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
so now john harbaugh is mid-presser defending the team from the "criticism" by dennis of the 1 read --> checkdown - apparently sometimes the checkdown is the 2nd read but more likely its the 3rd or 4th or 5th...

In a split second you can't go to your 2nd read. Flacco hasn't given it enough time. He's sees Watson is covered and throws it to him.

Worse thing is he's had enough time to throw the ball. He can't blame the OL.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Couldn't tell you. I just see a ton of stats from ESPN on BR for everything.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer

I was waiting for this to come out- that Pitta was incorrect and fan boying for his BFF.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I only disliked your post because I'm appalled by this stat. I hate watching the offense perform....period.
I kinda figured that was the case.

On the bright side, Flacco doesn't lead the league in passes thrown at or behind the LoS. Drew Brees actually does.... on 113 more passes thrown... (Brees has 80 such passes and Flacco has 67.)

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

On the bright side, Flacco doesn't lead the league in passes thrown at or behind the LoS. Drew Brees actually does.... on 113 more passes thrown... (Brees has 80 such passes and Flacco has 67.)
And like us, they have a nice running game coupled with a pretty good defense and a stud CB. Lattimore's legit.

Lol. Perform?
You're right. Poor choice of words. Perhaps "take the field" is more appropriate because it is mandatory......isn't it?

rossihunter2

Staff Member

brees also has maybe the best scat back in the league who's a genuine threat in both the running game and passing game with an offensive coordinator who is great at crafting a short passing game behind a strong running game a la the superbowl they won - they also happen to be able to make screens work which we dont - we throw screens with zero disguise to slow guys who go down at first contact and the screens are poorly set up anyway - either that or we check it down, again to guys who wont make it much further through elusiveness or athleticism - NO on the other hand have a shifty back who can take anything to the house...

i know you're not implying that it's a real bright side i just meant to highlight the differences because for me its another nail in marty's coffin - it's not that the offence he's attempting cant work its just that he has done literally no evaluation of our own talent before implementing it here

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Thank you for a bit of relief
I saw a stat once that Joe has the seventh most time in the league to throw on average, but he also has one of the lowest amounts of time with the ball in his hand. What this tells me is that Joe, for what ever reason, is too quick to dump it off and won't let plays develop the way he should.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I saw a stat once that Joe has the seventh most time in the league to throw on average, but he also has one of the lowest amounts of time with the ball in his hand. What this tells me is that Joe, for what ever reason, is too quick to dump it off and won't let plays develop the way he should.
That doesn’t surprise me at all. We see it every week.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
brees also has maybe the best scat back in the league who's a genuine threat in both the running game and passing game with an offensive coordinator who is great at crafting a short passing game behind a strong running game a la the superbowl they won - they also happen to be able to make screens work which we dont - we throw screens with zero disguise to slow guys who go down at first contact and the screens are poorly set up anyway - either that or we check it down, again to guys who wont make it much further through elusiveness or athleticism - NO on the other hand have a shifty back who can take anything to the house...

i know you're not implying that it's a real bright side i just meant to highlight the differences because for me its another nail in marty's coffin - it's not that the offence he's attempting cant work its just that he has done literally no evaluation of our own talent before implementing it here
I think I worked it out so that like 27% of Brees' throws are at or behind the LoS, which we should also mention includes screens and swing passes, two things the Ravens don't really incorporate in their own offense.

For the Saints, they do use screens and swing passes a good bit, I'm sure (I don't watch them, but that's a guess) and that could artificially inflate those numbers. I wouldn't be surprised to hear less than half of that 80 total is actual checkdowns. With Flacco, I could fully believe that all 67 are checkdowns, honestly.

I just posted this to RavensMania, but Flacco at one point had like the seventh most time in the league to throw, but was one of the fastest to actually get the ball out of his hands. That just tells me Flacco is not working back through his progressions or hitting all his reads.

Off topic, slightly, but I loved Kamara coming out. I would see zero reason to draft him at the time of the draft, but damn he is a good player.