• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2022 General Draft Thoughts

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
J davis 1.gif

Jordan Davis destroys guard an takes up 3 offensive lineman for stunt

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Decided to try a couple mocks with TDN and surprisingly you do get differences big time with their predictive rank and their player rankings in general. Did 2 of each with 4 diffrent 1st rd choices lol with them being Penning,JJ,BigSuperFreak and Linderbaum amd this one turned out to be my favorite.

14 Jermane Johnson EDGE Fla St. A highly highly productive edge who I think can be a 3 down player. Probally better on the weak side and line OO on the strong side. Going thru the draft did not seem particularly strong with EDGE and a lot of candidates seem to come from smaller schools but I would grab an edge as early as possible since the depth seems to be stronger in other areas of need especially with guys like Sam Williams (troubled history) and Ojabo (injured) taken from that depth. Noticed Ojabo was always available with 1st rd pick lol.

45 Sean Rhyan IOL UCLA. They have him listed as IOL but I see him as an ultimate swing tackle. Haven't watched any film so i'm going by word mouth that he is a real good run blocker and I notice he has nice size. I don't know the issue with Stanley and we need a fucking tackle plus he seemed best avaikable at time of choice. Top dline like Wyatt and Winfrey were gone.

76 Breece Hall RB Iowa St. I like Brian Robinson a lot too and if I wanted a top notch RB I had to take one here. This was my final draft and they was always gone by pick 100. Very very productive guy. Not sure about his receiving abilities

100 Cam Taylor-Britt CB Nebraska. Now this is a guy I have seen play and at 100 I'm swooping down like a hawk preying on a little baby rabbit and this guy is good not only on pass defense but in run support. Can play the boundary.

110 Alec Lindstrom C Boston College . Good pedigree (brother is a guard for the Falcons) and I remember hearing him and Linderbaum being 2 of the top centers so why the fuck not. We need a center right but in a lot of ways I maybe should of chose JoJo Domann who I really like as a coverage LB. I had a tough time with this one.

119 Jesse Luketa LB Penn St. This guy play inside or out and takes good angles in getting to the ball showing good pursuit. I never really seen him used much as a passrusher tho but I think he can develop. Will immediately help special teams.

128 Alec Pierce WR Cincinati. BPA here. All the names surrounding him I just had to do it. Personally I think he's day 2 value so.............

139 John Ridgeway IDL Arkansas. I think I took him every draft. Played against the best and just eats up double teams. Him and Pierce make a great rotation.

141 Matt Henningson IDL Wisconsin. Watched a lot of Wisconsin and he was around the ball consistently. Mainly 5 tech that will be a great rotational piece.

196 Zyon McCollum CB Sam Houston St. Really don't know much here but he was all everything in his conference and has great size.

Well there you go. I'm going to try to do this excersise again a week before the draft but the things I learned is we need to draft an edge high and dline,dback and oline depth appear deep

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Where's my winner emoji but this is just too much. I don't think he's going to make it to our pick and that Georgia defense is just too damn much. Just give me one of them
If he does go before us along with a QB or two, we’ll be in really good shape lol

Simba

Staff Member
I have such a love/hate with Sean Rhyan. On some reps, the guy looks like a bonafide NFL level T, which is weird because he doesn't look like that type of guy physically. And then other times, he looks like I just want to slide him inside to G and let him develop. He's going to take a little bit of work but if I did take him, I feel like I'm absolutely giving him a shot to stick a T first. He's a fun watch all in all.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I have such a love/hate with Sean Rhyan. On some reps, the guy looks like a bonafide NFL level T, which is weird because he doesn't look like that type of guy physically. And then other times, he looks like I just want to slide him inside to G and let him develop. He's going to take a little bit of work but if I did take him, I feel like I'm absolutely giving him a shot to stick a T first. He's a fun watch all in all.

all this sean rhyan love is making me think i might have to go back and watch him again at some point because i did not like him at all when i watched him - currently got a 5th round grade on him and see him as exclusively an interior OL project

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
jordan:channing.gif

Are you really going to try and block this dude 1 on1? Watch Jordan give the Center a lift.. Oh yeah, Check out Channing Tindall hit and shed the living daylights out of the LG

rossihunter2

Staff Member
View attachment 3229
Are you really going to try and block this dude 1 on1? Watch Jordan give the Center a lift.. Oh yeah, Check out Channing Tindall hit and shed the living daylights out of the LG

man those LBs had it so easy with Davis and Carter and Wyatt and Travon in front of them

but Tindall's so funny lol - really raw with pretty basic responsibilities but his ability to cover ground and just run and hit is fun - not the most flexible but so linearly explosive

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hey, @rossihunter2 at this moment in time, post the Zadarius fiasco, how do you think we approach this draft? Is OLB primary now or still BPA. Can you give us a few names that might be good fits at 14?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
My film guys, how big is the gap between Travis Jones and Jordan Davis?

that's tough to answer because of the position they play...

not sure anyone's ever been like Jordan Davis ever before

Travis Jones is a high-level nose tackle prospect with some genuine pass rush threat

Jordan Davis is a freak but who also plays nose tackle

ive got jordan davis as a slam-dunk 1st rounder, i've got travis jones as an early 2nd rounder but wouldnt surprise me if he snuck into the late 1st

both are pretty safe prospects

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Hey, @rossihunter2 at this moment in time, post the Zadarius fiasco, how do you think we approach this draft? Is OLB primary now or still BPA. Can you give us a few names that might be good fits at 14?

BPA all the way - if we miss out on EDGE in R1 because they're all gone then so be it, we'll have to hope we land one or two or three later... and if one of the top guys is available at 14 then that's super easy

Here's the dream guys we might get at 14 (there's a list of 10 guys but i would say 5 of them have literally no chance of making it to 14):

EDGE Kayvon Thibodeaux
EDGE Travon Walker
EDGE Jermaine Johnson
CB Derek Stingley
OT Charles Cross

it's distinctly possible if not probable (given the current state of mocks) that none of those guys make it to the pick

in which case im probably looking at:

DT Jordan Davis
CB Andrew Booth

and then the wildcard options (guys who will be high on some teams boards but i dont think will be this high on the ravens board but i could be wrong):
C Tyler Linderbaum
CB Trent McDuffie
WR Chris Olave
WR Garrett Wilson
WR Treylon Burks
EDGE George Karlaftis
OT Trevor Penning

that's tough to answer because of the position they play...

not sure anyone's ever been like Jordan Davis ever before

Travis Jones is a high-level nose tackle prospect with some genuine pass rush threat

Jordan Davis is a freak but who also plays nose tackle

ive got jordan davis as a slam-dunk 1st rounder, i've got travis jones as an early 2nd rounder but wouldnt surprise me if he snuck into the late 1st

both are pretty safe prospects

Part of me wants Davis but then I wonder if he’s actually worth a top 15 pick and is that much better than Jones at 45

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Part of me wants Davis but then I wonder if he’s actually worth a top 15 pick and is that much better than Jones at 45

its definitely a difficult question and this is partly why GM's make all the money - it's not actually that hard to scout players skillsets and abilities - the really tricky bit is about how you value certain skillsets, positions and how they fit and your philosophies on roster building

i just think a successful draft probably has us pick neither of them...

its definitely a difficult question and this is partly why GM's make all the money - it's not actually that hard to scout players skillsets and abilities - the really tricky bit is about how you value certain skillsets, positions and how they fit and your philosophies on roster building

i just think a successful draft probably has us pick neither of them...

I agree with your final statement I just have a feeling Davis will be the BPA at 14 abs then i question if he’s actually that much better than Jones

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
BPA all the way - if we miss out on EDGE in R1 because they're all gone then so be it, we'll have to hope we land one or two or three later... and if one of the top guys is available at 14 then that's super easy

Here's the dream guys we might get at 14 (there's a list of 10 guys but i would say 5 of them have literally no chance of making it to 14):

EDGE Kayvon Thibodeaux
EDGE Travon Walker
EDGE Jermaine Johnson
CB Derek Stingley
OT Charles Cross

it's distinctly possible if not probable (given the current state of mocks) that none of those guys make it to the pick

in which case im probably looking at:

DT Jordan Davis
CB Andrew Booth

and then the wildcard options (guys who will be high on some teams boards but i dont think will be this high on the ravens board but i could be wrong):
C Tyler Linderbaum
CB Trent McDuffie
WR Chris Olave
WR Garrett Wilson
WR Treylon Burks
EDGE George Karlaftis
OT Trevor Penning
Thanks!

I think there's no question under this scenario.
Only one of them has a legitimate chance to become an NFL level monster.

To me Davis is a clear tier above Travis Jones. There's a difference in raw power and Jones' burst off the line is nowhere close. Jones could be good in the NFL, but Davis has the ability to become an absolute monster.

I understand the upside of essentially a Chris Jones like player But if he doesn’t* reach that he and Jones are likely the same player in the league.
Honestly I think it’s worth the risk though. If he reaches his ceiling and provides an inside rush that makes this D scary

Last edited: