• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

‘Wink’ is the New Defensive Coordinator

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
they have jimmy Smith ranked as the 2nd best CB in nfl according to nfl 1000! Nice to know he got some recognition this season. Most def a top 5 cb this past season

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
It also said that hump lacks reaction skills and ball skills . Been saying that since he was in college so till i see improvement he will continue to be a bum CB in my eyes

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
so in your eyes cbs are either bums or incredible? they either have no flaws or they're trash? is there no sliding scale of goodness-badness for you?
in my eyes if a CB or FS dnt have any balls skills or dont have the awareness when to anticipate throws then yes theyre trash! did you see aj bouye vs pats? Did you see how tight his cvg often was on the defenders yet he could never really make the play. I dnt like cbs like that. Yes bouye is nice but till he improve his skill which requires you to look for the ball, he will be a liability which is why brady started targeting him just like he did collins in SB last year vs falcons!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
they have jimmy Smith ranked as the 2nd best CB in nfl according to nfl 1000! Nice to know he got some recognition this season. Most def a top 5 cb this past season

This is what it actually said, don’t piecemeal

What you didn’t say is that it had him rated 17th in the NFL. Tremendous accomplishment for a rookie. It also said he had tremendous skill and upside. Ball production is a weakness now but not a major concern.

Read below for the full report

17. Marlon Humphrey, Baltimore Ravens
  1. Coverage: 19/25
    Reaction: 16/25
    Recovery: 19/25
    Tackling: 12/15
    Position Value: 10/10
    Overall Grade: 76/100

As a third boundary corner who rotated in until Jimmy Smith's injury, Marlon Humphrey flashed tremendous skill and upside for this defense to develop. His size and strength are a perfect fit for this scheme, as he has the prowess to immediately jam receivers, then the athleticism to slide his feet with them up the field. The rookie is surprisingly polished and looks like he's ready to start in 2018. His ball production is his weakness right now but is also not a major concern.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
in my eyes if a CB or FS dnt have any balls skills or dont have the awareness when to anticipate throws then yes theyre trash! did you see aj bouye vs pats? Did you see how tight his cvg often was on the defenders yet he could never really make the play. I dnt like cbs like that. Yes bouye is nice but till he improve his skill which requires you to look for the ball, he will be a liability which is why brady started targeting him just like he did collins in SB last year vs falcons!
This is Bouyes 5th season in the NFL. Why don’t you check out his 1st season. He also gave up 3 tds the last two games. Yes, one of them was a non call opi, but still. Humphrey has serious potential and what you posted says it also.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It also said that hump lacks reaction skills and ball skills . Been saying that since he was in college so till i see improvement he will continue to be a bum CB in my eyes
Maybe you need to learn how to read, because it is giving him tremendous accolades.

This is Bouyes 5th season in the NFL. Why don’t you check out his 1st season. He also gave up 3 tds the last two games. Yes, one of them was a non call opi, but still. Humphrey has serious potential and what you posted says it also.

We can have your defense and you can have our offense as long as you let us keep Rodgers. How bout that deal lol?

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
This is what it actually said, don’t piecemeal

What you didn’t say is that it had him rated 17th in the NFL. Tremendous accomplishment for a rookie. It also said he had tremendous skill and upside. Ball production is a weakness now but not a major concern.

Read below for the full report

17. Marlon Humphrey, Baltimore Ravens
  1. Coverage: 19/25
    Reaction: 16/25
    Recovery: 19/25
    Tackling: 12/15
    Position Value: 10/10
    Overall Grade: 76/100

As a third boundary corner who rotated in until Jimmy Smith's injury, Marlon Humphrey flashed tremendous skill and upside for this defense to develop. His size and strength are a perfect fit for this scheme, as he has the prowess to immediately jam receivers, then the athleticism to slide his feet with them up the field. The rookie is surprisingly polished and looks like he's ready to start in 2018. His ball production is his weakness right now but is also not a major concern.
hump isnt a top 17 corner in lg period nor is jimmy smith #2, however i do believe jimmy is a top 5-7 cb. Only problem ive ever had with hump is exactly what it said " ball production". Not a major concern? His ball production was the exact same weakness he had in college which was the reason i wasnt big on him.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
im not saying he dont have potential.. ive been saying the same thing about hump since he was in college lol. He got to the nfl and i am still seeing the same thing out of him, so till i see improvement... he is not a good cb in my eyes

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
i think you misunderstood. I was saying that i dnt like corners like bouye. Yes he plays good cvg but he dont have those intangibles that can raise his game yet.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Or
or were you trying to say bouye gave up tds his 1st season also yet he turned out alright?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
im not saying he dont have potential.. ive been saying the same thing about hump since he was in college lol. He got to the nfl and i am still seeing the same thing out of him, so till i see improvement... he is not a good cb in my eyes

but i dont get that - one flaw does not make him a bad corner - as he showed with how well he played for the entire year - he didnt give up 1 td all year...

and you're neglecting to see the things that he has improved from college like his hip flips and his discipline in zone coverage... in fact he has even improved at breaking on the ball... my one criticism of him would be getting his head around earlier but that's a fairly normal thing for a rookie corner to struggle with especially one who so consistently is left in press coverage...

i dont get how you only deal with absolutes - being not great at one of a vast number of elements of corner back suddenly makes him not good? if that's the case then 95% of the league's corners absolutely suck

he was ranked as the 17th best corner for a reason and it's borne out in both the tape and in the stats... you could argue he should be a bit lower or a bit higher than 17th but there is no shame in being a top 30 corner in the league... i think you'd struggle to name more than 25 corners who you could make argument are better than marlon already in the league

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
hump isnt a top 17 corner in lg period nor is jimmy smith #2, however i do believe jimmy is a top 5-7 cb. Only problem ive ever had with hump is exactly what it said " ball production". Not a major concern? His ball production was the exact same weakness he had in college which was the reason i wasnt big on him.
Well, you were the one that brought up the article, so I'm just stating what the article had him ranked at.