• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

‘Wink’ is the New Defensive Coordinator

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We'll be better than fine. It's a positive and no cause for alarm.

im just not sure i agree - the one thing we're missing on this defence is consistent outside pass rush which you could potentially blame on pees for misuse of personnel but then you also cant really argue with the results of the defence this year - we lead the league in turnovers and if we continue at the rate we've been going at we'll likely beat (or get really close) to the most turnovers in a season of any team since 2012 with already as many/more shutouts than any team since 2003 (but has only happened 4 other times before in the last 30 years and 3 of those 4 teams won the superbowl)

flubberdubber

Practice Squad
Just to throw another name out there Ted Monachino may be an option if this is true. He was loved by many here when he went to Colts with Pagano.

As for another who may be interesting, young and under the radar. Jim Leonhard. He has done some pretty impressive things with his short stint in Wisconsin. Was beyond smart when he was on the field and well coached/tutored through his days as a player, could be our version of Mike Vrabel

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Just to throw another name out there Ted Monachino may be an option if this is true. He was loved by many here when he went to Colts with Pagano.

As for another who may be interesting, young and under the radar. Jim Leonhard. He has done some pretty impressive things with his short stint in Wisconsin. Was beyond smart when he was on the field and well coached/tutored through his days as a player, could be our version of Mike Vrabel
I had thought about leonhard myself, he's put together some nice defenses at Wisconsin and helped take them to the next level.

flubberdubber

Practice Squad
Ya I am a big fan of Leonhard. At some point soon I expect if he wants to be in the NFL as a DC he will be. He was here for Harbaughs first hear as HC so there may be some connection. He did seem much more tied to Rex Ryan and it seemed that Rex loved having him on the field as his 'coach' of the D. If he doesnt get a shot with us I hope it is with a solid organization

Sooky

Pro Bowler
especially if, of all the coordinators, the only one that we retain is marty - ill be so angry
Yeah Rosburg has to stay with the success he has had.... Pees has finally got some up and coming solid young talent. I'm afraid what will happen when he goes out the door.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
At this point this looks like unsubstantiated rumor, although due to Pees' age it's not out of question. We'll see.

What I don't understand is lot of comments about how we'll miss Pees big time because his defense is top in the NFL, after he finally has lot of talent on the roster.

On the other hand, he is completely absolved of a playoff messy loss at NE in 2014 (few others come to mind - Raiders most notably) because we had shit secondary.

So which is it? If we have top talent, why is Pees now irreplacable? I don't get it, seriously.

Tru11

Practice Squad
At this point this looks like unsubstantiated rumor, although due to Pees' age it's not out of question. We'll see.

What I don't understand is lot of comments about how we'll miss Pees big time because his defense is top in the NFL, after he finally has lot of talent on the roster.

On the other hand, he is completely absolved of a playoff messy loss at NE in 2014 (few others come to mind - Raiders most notably) because we had shit secondary.

So which is it? If we have top talent, why is Pees now irreplacable? I don't get it, seriously.

doubt there is a DC capable of shutting down the patriots with a starting cornerback trio of webb, melvin and elam lol

Sooky

Pro Bowler

Definitely a rumor reading the article didn't really give much but speculation. I like Pees but he has a very complicated defensive scheme. It requires a lot of stress on some key cogs and if you don't have those players it all falls apart. When he has the right players he has one of the most suffocating defenses that shows a lot of exotic blitzes and turnovers.

It makes me wonder if he does leave does that throw Correa and Bowser's development out the door? They were drafted to be hybrid players that were raw both have yet to shock the world, but if someone else comes in what happens to those players?

I have a love-hate relationship with Dean Pees, but he finally has a lot of those pieces of the long term and if he is out the door what will a replacement bring in?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

This is very true, but due to him being an assistant, it’s possible they could block him from pursuing it. That being said, that would be a douche move.

I'm not sure why the news of Dean Pees Retirement is being met with such woe and consternation .

He's an intelligent guy , an extremely knowledgeable coach and could I'm certain, be an Ivy League educator on the subject and philosophy of constructing an NFL defense . This doesn't make him an excellent coordinator. No more than having a master's in composition and orchestration might of necessity make one a great composer .

It is time to bring in a fresh perspective in terms of scheme, play calling and player evaluation. Someone to see these players for the first time and get the absolute best out of them.

I'm excited to see who the organization brings in, Not bothered in the slightest by his retirement .
Not really seeing what I would call woe and consternation. For the most part - it's like, darn ... the D has been playing pretty well. Not hearing a lot of - OMG, what ever shall we do? !!

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
This is very true, but due to him being an assistant, it’s possible they could block him from pursuing it. That being said, that would be a douche move.
So was getting the fucking Mayflower trucks. The colts can get anally fucked with a cactus if they do this. Fuck them for leaving the city and ruining Andrew Luck. He deserves better like Peyton did.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Definitely a rumor reading the article didn't really give much but speculation. I like Pees but he has a very complicated defensive scheme. It requires a lot of stress on some key cogs and if you don't have those players it all falls apart. When he has the right players he has one of the most suffocating defenses that shows a lot of exotic blitzes and turnovers.

It makes me wonder if he does leave does that throw Correa and Bowser's development out the door? They were drafted to be hybrid players that were raw both have yet to shock the world, but if someone else comes in what happens to those players?

I have a love-hate relationship with Dean Pees, but he finally has a lot of those pieces of the long term and if he is out the door what will a replacement bring in?
I think with pees you neee 2 things, high iq safeties and excellent swarm tackling. A lot of his scheme relies on making sound tackles, when guys miss tackles his scheme completely falls apart because the whole philosophy is not being practiced

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor

I actually think some of our young guys will do better without him. Pees isn't horrible, but his defense does have issues. Like he doesn't rotate the front 7 as much as some other DCs, and the complicated defense takes young players longer to learn, and sometimes tries to force round pegs into square holes.

Another scheme that lets plays rely on their own instincts a bit more, and lets them roam and be playmakers might work better for someone like Bowser or T. Williams. More like what it was during the Rex years.

The Raven

Veteran
I think with pees you neee 2 things, high iq safeties and excellent swarm tackling. A lot of his scheme relies on making sound tackles, when guys miss tackles his scheme completely falls apart because the whole philosophy is not being practiced
I don't mean to sound flippant, but don't all defenses require sound tackling?

I mean, what if we were just a really bad tackling team for all those years? In hindsight, that's my assessment of why we were so bad on D. We couldn't tackle, especially on the back end. Doesn't matter what the hell the call is if you can't tackle. Maybe we were just a below average team at making tackles.

This year, we're making tackles, and it's making all the difference. In years past, I was never confident that even Suggs or Mosley would finish a tackle. But this year, it feels automatic. That's my two cents.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I don't mean to sound flippant, but don't all defenses require sound tackling?

I mean, what if we were just a really bad tackling team for all those years? In hindsight, that's my assessment of why we were so bad on D. We couldn't tackle, especially on the back end. Doesn't matter what the hell the call is if you can't tackle. Maybe we were just a below average team at making tackles.

This year, we're making tackles, and it's making all the difference. In years past, I was never confident that even Suggs or Mosley would finish a tackle. But this year, it feels automatic. That's my two cents.
It's true all defenses fall apart without sound tackling, but pees calls a lot of top down philosophy which allows small gains but they have to be contained, as opposed to say an aggressive scheme with a lot of man coverage and heavy blitzing. Think Rex defenses where it's all about disruption and forcing quick passes and hopefully your cb is in place to not allow the completion, where a pees defense philosophy isn't necessarily to stop any completion from happening(though that's a nice bonus) but is more about contain, and allowing the completion isn't a big deal if you consistently make the tackle.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
That Broncos defense of 2010 allowed 471 total points(29.4 Per Game) and a whopping 6,253 yards. Yeah he can stay as our Linebacker Coach unless someone else wants him to be their DC in the offseason.

To be fair that was his first experience ever as defensive coordinator at The NFL level. One of their most important player who was Elvis Dumervil at the time had missed the entire 2010 season due to a season ending injury. Most of their players in the secondary were old and on the decline. It also has been 7 years since Don Martindale has been a defensive coordinator so he definitely has had plenty of time to grow from his mistakes and become a better coordinator.

arnie_uk

Veteran
TL24x7 said:Today 05:45 AM
Re: The Blown Fourth Quarter Leads Project
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by steelerhater
Remember, the rumor is that he's retiring, not being fired. Harbaugh and Bisciotti think that Dean Pees is a god and tgat any deficiencies on defense are technique issues.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
It's NOT a rumor! Pees is gone. Not sure how much clearer I could be.

Oh, maybe I'm not a reliable source for some of you.

But trust me, I have access that the beat writers don't have. Not a knock. Just a fact!

I'm not speculating or spit balling.

Just remember where you heard it first...