• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He doesn’t seem like the smartest guy. But that said. He doesn’t seem like a dumb football player either.

It worries me slightly but ultimately is a likely non-sequitur.

He’s not Ronnie stanley. I remember ravens fans freaking out over his interview because he was soft spoken. y’all may have heard soft spoken, I listened to his words. Stanley was intelligent and just listening to him talk you could tell. Which you could also tell in how he conducted himself. Jackson seems somewhat irksome but he could have an IQ of 15. If he’s a good football player and knows how to read a field I’m good with him

i dunno that i get the same impression - he seemed amped up at the draft and seemed a little awed but ultimately fine at his initial presser and then seemed intelligent and fairly articulate for his presser at rookie minicamp

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I don't give a flying fuck about the wonderlic. Like at all. Jimi Hendrix couldn't read music, greatest and most influential guitar player of all time.

You mean to tell me Josh Allen is smarter about football than Peyton fucking Manning... The smartest QB in NFL history. Give me a break. Allen was a moron on and based off of those tweets, off the field as well.

Jackson's interview demeanor worries me slightly... But not totally. Flacco is one of the most boring QBs I've ever had to listen too and seems dull and like a total, but all in all.. Flacco was a fine NFL QB. Not elite or great, but he was a franchise QB for 10 years who won a SB. Anyone who claims that his career and tenure in Baltimore was not a total success is a total moron. What I care about above all else is the tape. You can have all the measureables in the world. Cannon arm, freakish athleticism. If you can't play at all it's blatantly obvious. I compared Josh Allen to Cardale Jones and Logan Thomas with far more hype because of that freakishly strong arm of his... All three, great athletes for the QB position. Neither of them could read the field worth a damn, had poor pocket presence, and made moronic decisions.

Jackson displayed progression in his football IQ on the field during his years in Louisville and made tremendous strides as a passer each year he was there. I have no doubts that if he actually had a decent team around him, he could've dominated teams solely with his arm.

Yes, he needs to fix his footwork a little. Yes, he needs to get a tad bigger. Yes he needs to learn how to slide and go out of bounds sooner. He could stand to improve in reading the field(though he's not bad at it at all). Here's the thing.. All of those problems are fixable by coaches who know what they're doing. Urban was a good guy to bring in for this reason. He's got a track record. Jackson has some raw qualities and I wouldn't prefer it if he were to start day one, but I have far more confidence in him starting day one over guys like Mason Rudolph and Josh Allen
People don't understand... they clearly can't watch football with an analytical eye. Jackson isn't a pure run first guy and without question shows NFL qualities, the pocket presence, patience, poise, and the way he goes through progressions. I didn't want him because he seemed dumb as fuck in interviews, like DUMB, but since then he has come off much more intelligent than I thought, maybe he really was just so excited about the draft, and even when I didn't want him I still was torn, because his ability behind the line of scrimmage was very apparent, people who think he can't play from the pocket have not watched him, period.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't give a flying fuck about the wonderlic. Like at all. Jimi Hendrix couldn't read music, greatest and most influential guitar player of all time.

You mean to tell me Josh Allen is smarter about football than Peyton fucking Manning... The smartest QB in NFL history. Give me a break. Allen was a moron on and based off of those tweets, off the field as well.

Jackson's interview demeanor worries me slightly... But not totally. Flacco is one of the most boring QBs I've ever had to listen too and seems dull and like a total, but all in all.. Flacco was a fine NFL QB. Not elite or great, but he was a franchise QB for 10 years who won a SB. Anyone who claims that his career and tenure in Baltimore was not a total success is a total moron. What I care about above all else is the tape. You can have all the measureables in the world. Cannon arm, freakish athleticism. If you can't play at all it's blatantly obvious. I compared Josh Allen to Cardale Jones and Logan Thomas with far more hype because of that freakishly strong arm of his... All three, great athletes for the QB position. Neither of them could read the field worth a damn, had poor pocket presence, and made moronic decisions.
Who brought this wonderlic nonsense up again? I think @RavensMania already pointed out it only means one thing you're bad at standardized tests.

I understand your worries. But do you have a specific interview in mind that has you concerned? Watch him on the dan patrick show. This is better than his draft or mini camp interview.

Tank

Hall of Famer
lol......So being the dumb ass that I am I'm going to post this one more time in hopes some will try to understand the HISTORIC STATISTICAL SIGNIFICANCE of Wonderlic scores of NFL QBs that have had successful careers. Just read the whole fucking article please. No one is saying that Wonderlic scores are the "end all" of predicting success or failure, only that the historic pattern exists. Ignore it if you like, but it doesn't make one a "dumb ass" for recognizing it exists.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/nfl-quarterback-wonderlic-scores-matter-a-great-deal-042417/

As you can see above Bradshaw, Marino, McNabb and Kelly all had successful NFL careers despite posting low Wonderlic scores. These quarterbacks are frequently cited to prove the Wonderlic doesn’t matter at all. But when you view their scores in context they seem to be statistical aberrations. In particular, McNabb is the only player drafted in the past twenty years who has posted a poor Wonderlic score and had a long NFL career as a starting quarterback.

And who knows what explains their low scores? Were they not prepared? Did they not care about taking the test? We simply don’t know. But it’s certainly not a legitimate argument to point to these guys as successes and say their success invalidates the test. Like the forty, the bench press, the shuttle and height measurements, the Wonderlic is simply a tool utilized to standardize quarterback comparison off the field itself.

Of course the Wonderlic isn’t perfect, but neither is putting football players in their underwear and having them do a variety of physical tests.

The truth is this, there is no dispositive test that proves what will make a successful quarterback in the NFL. But the fact that Cam Newton and Derek Carr are the only successful NFL quarterbacks in the league right now with Wonderlic scores below 25 seems like a pretty significant data point to consider if you’re drafting a quarterback.

Scoring high doesn’t guarantee you’re going to be a Super Bowl winner — hello, Ryan Fitzpatrick — but scoring low does make it significantly more likely that you won’t be one.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Call me crazy, i think i would have been more excited if we drafted mason in the 3rd over Jackson in the 1st.
Youre not crazy at all. Maybe you observe qbs different. I mean most people in here likes darnold over baker and edmunds over raquan and i really dont see how, so im crazy right along with you

NYSE5

Practice Squad
lol......So being the dumb ass that I am I'm going to post this one more time in hopes some will try to understand the HISTORIC STATISTICAL SIGNIFICANCE of Wonderlic scores of NFL QBs that have had successful careers. Just read the whole fucking article please. No one is saying that Wonderlic scores are the "end all" of predicting success or failure, only that the historic pattern exists. Ignore it if you like, but it doesn't make one a "dumb ass" for recognizing it exists.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/nfl-quarterback-wonderlic-scores-matter-a-great-deal-042417/

As you can see above Bradshaw, Marino, McNabb and Kelly all had successful NFL careers despite posting low Wonderlic scores. These quarterbacks are frequently cited to prove the Wonderlic doesn’t matter at all. But when you view their scores in context they seem to be statistical aberrations. In particular, McNabb is the only player drafted in the past twenty years who has posted a poor Wonderlic score and had a long NFL career as a starting quarterback.

And who knows what explains their low scores? Were they not prepared? Did they not care about taking the test? We simply don’t know. But it’s certainly not a legitimate argument to point to these guys as successes and say their success invalidates the test. Like the forty, the bench press, the shuttle and height measurements, the Wonderlic is simply a tool utilized to standardize quarterback comparison off the field itself.

Of course the Wonderlic isn’t perfect, but neither is putting football players in their underwear and having them do a variety of physical tests.

The truth is this, there is no dispositive test that proves what will make a successful quarterback in the NFL. But the fact that Cam Newton and Derek Carr are the only successful NFL quarterbacks in the league right now with Wonderlic scores below 25 seems like a pretty significant data point to consider if you’re drafting a quarterback.

Scoring high doesn’t guarantee you’re going to be a Super Bowl winner — hello, Ryan Fitzpatrick — but scoring low does make it significantly more likely that you won’t be one.
How optimistic would fans be about Jackson had he been drafted by the Bengals or Steelers, both of whom had the opportunity to draft him?

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
How optimistic would fans be about Jackson had he been drafted by the Bengals or Steelers, both of whom had the opportunity to draft him?
TRUST ME, they would be acting totally different i promise you that, but thats just how most fans are you know. Even though i hate, as fans we gotta deal with it.

RavenROC

Practice Squad
and i dont know what you've been watching on film but rudolph is clearly reliant on scheme and jackson had pro-concepts embedded in his Louisville offence already - this idea that jackson's transition is going to be more difficult than for other qbs in this class is insane to me - he needs to learn how to take snaps from under centre and he needs to adjust his footwork accordingly but beyond that he already has a pro-skillset and some of the tools from college to adjust well to the pro game

rudolph on the other hand has inherent flaws that are problematic for his potential transition to the nfl - lack of arm strength, lack of reading the field and going through progressions, system-dependent qb throws, tendency to throw off his back foot when he has time to step up (remind you of anyone?)

to me rudolph's skillset suggests he could be a decent backup in the league and may eventually become an average starter but no better and his transition wont be easy or quick

Eh, I said scheme, I was just referring to the fact that they ARE going to be working him into a new offensive system designed around him while he still has to learn the current one under Joe. Rudolph can sit for a year or two and step in more experienced in his system (if he pans out, who knows) which is something that is different for Jackson who will sit this year, learn the current system in case he has to go in, and then when he is the starter beyond Joe the playbook changes. It's a similar problem Joe kept having with the revolving door of OC's he has had.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
He doesn’t seem like the smartest guy. But that said. He doesn’t seem like a dumb football player either.

He’s not Ronnie stanley. I remember ravens fans freaking out over his interview because he was soft spoken. y’all may have heard soft spoken, I listened to his words. Stanley was intelligent and just listening to him talk you could tell. Which you could also tell in how he conducted himself. Jackson seems somewhat irksome but he could have an IQ of 15. If he’s a good football player and knows how to read a field I’m good with him
I know people who are obama like great when it comes to public speaking and interviews yet they suck at the actual class work. Then you have people like me who fking suck at anything that invloves being in the spotlight and wouldnt even be able to name 10 states if asked yet off camera i could convince you that miami is a country

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Eh, I said scheme, I was just referring to the fact that they ARE going to be working him into a new offensive system designed around him while he still has to learn the current one under Joe. Rudolph can sit for a year or two and step in more experienced in his system (if he pans out, who knows) which is something that is different for Jackson who will sit this year, learn the current system in case he has to go in, and then when he is the starter beyond Joe the playbook changes. It's a similar problem Joe kept having with the revolving door of OC's he has had.

i dont think that's the case though - i think we're naturally going to see the whole scheme change and jackson will learn the exact same scheme but there will be extra elements i.e. designed runs and more RPO/zone read options packages involved but the basis of the offence wont need to change because jackson is not an alien with no experience with pro offensive systems...

mason rudolph has none of that experience and an offence that's not going to be built with him in mind

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor

If he had an IQ of 15 he'd basically be brain dead lol

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar Jackson will be the best quarterback named Lamar Jackson to ever play the game...
I feel bad for players that are named after a father or grandfather that played in the nfl. They aren't even guaranteed that. Orlando Brown might not be the best o-lineman named Orlando Brown.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i dont want a vick.. i want a russ wilson even though thats highly unlikely..
Well Jackson keeps his eyes downfield and looks to pass when scrambling like... guess who... ya know the guy you are asking Lamar to be, except that Wilson also has accuracy issues and isn't half the athlete that Lamar is...

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Well Jackson keeps his eyes downfield and looks to pass when scrambling like... guess who... ya know the guy you are asking Lamar to be, except that Wilson also has accuracy issues and isn't half the athlete that Lamar is...
Wilson has accuarcy issues? idk what games you watched but wilson is one of the most accurate passers in the lg and a top 3 qb in the lg