• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
It was a hypothetical. I would not give Lamar any more than 60-70 percent fully guaranteed money . Period. Let him walk and give him a couple of these on his way to Atlanta :

Great Ravens pacifiers .
I would fully guarantee it, but give him 40m a year, if he would accept that.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
It was a hypothetical. I would not give Lamar any more than 60-70 percent fully guaranteed money . Period. Let him walk and give him a couple of these on his way to Atlanta :

Great Ravens pacifiers .
I mean Kyler got ~80% gtd, so that's realistically where he needs to be.

Plus even at a hypothetical 70% gtd, deal would look a lot more like 5/$250M, with $175M gtd. And that would be low comped to Kyler's deal.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I would fully guarantee it, but give him 40m a year, if he would accept that.
I doubt he would. Just depends on how long the contract is.

If they offered him 4/$160M, fully gtd, I would bet Lamar won't take it.

He'll want fully gtd, but it'll probably want at least 4 years, maybe 5 or 6, and at least $200M.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor

He'll want fully gtd, but it'll probably want at least 4 years, maybe 5 or 6, and at least $200M.
How much is enough for Lamar? Don't you wanna leave some money for high caliber free agents and help the team? Isn't that what Tom Brady did, take less to get some help?
Just finished watching Bullies of Baltimore and those guys would have done it.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
How much is enough for Lamar? Don't you wanna leave some money for high caliber free agents and help the team? Isn't that what Tom Brady did, take less to get some help?
Just finished watching Bullies of Baltimore and those guys would have done it.
lol, no, they wouldn't. Why do you think the 2001 team was the end of it? Because everybody wanted to get paid and a bunch of them left.

As for Brady, when Brady was Lamar's age, he wasn't taking less for anybody. He was taking record breaking, top of the market, highest paid player in the sport-level deals.

His 2005 extension made him one of the highest paid players in football...

His 2010 extension made him the highest paid player in the entire NFL...

Plus, realistically, when have the Ravens ever really been in the "high caliber FA market"? Like even if Lamar signs for $40M instead of $50M, they're still not going to be big spenders in FA most years. They'll focus on extending their own players, filling gaps in FA, and drafting. Basically what every team that has an expensive QB does.

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor

still worth a shot at it, tho

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Strongly disagree with the latter part. Mostly because a) we got Lamar without that haul of picks and b) there's been several QBs drafted since Lamar that teams absolutely can win with, and even a few that I would trade Lamar straight up to get over him.
The problem with your assessment is that athletes like Lamar and MJ only come along once in a lifetime. You may not agree, but having seen both players play live and in person, I've felt the charisma and watchability quotient of these two. Identical. Talent. Identical ( in that they can do things other athletic peers cannot do). Career curve? MJ had the same winning issues in the playoffs as Lamar till he got the help he needed (Pippen and Co.) Lamar doesn't have squat in terms of receivers, period. Give him Diggs, Hopkins, or Hill, and then get out of the way. He will lose games like a hibernating bear loses sleep. Don't argue with me on this because you haven't experienced what I have. Why else would I have adopted Lamar so readily and comprehensively, eh?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The problem with your assessment is that athletes like Lamar and MJ only come along once in a lifetime. You may not agree, but having seen both players play live and in person, I've felt the charisma and watchability quotient of these two. Identical. Talent. Identical ( in that they can do things other athletic peers cannot do). Career curve? MJ had the same winning issues in the playoffs as Lamar till he got the help he needed (Pippen and Co.) Lamar doesn't have squat in terms of receivers, period. Give him Diggs, Hopkins, or Hill, and then get out of the way. He will lose games like a hibernating bear loses sleep. Don't argue with me on this because you haven't experienced what I have. Why else would I have adopted Lamar so readily and comprehensively, eh?
I mean athleticism is wonderful, but that doesn't translate into winning. Michael Vick was a transcendent athlete. So was Cam Newton.

How do you give Lamar Diggs or Hopkins or Hill when Lamar wants $50M and those guys want $25-30M? Where is that $ coming from?

Why don't you just pay Lamar $25M, so then he'll only need $25M from the team, and then we'll let him pick whoever he wants?

I see a lot of people passing around other people's money like candy, but I don't see anybody stepping up to write a check...

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean athleticism is wonderful, but that doesn't translate into winning. Michael Vick was a transcendent athlete. So was Cam Newton.

How do you give Lamar Diggs or Hopkins or Hill when Lamar wants $50M and those guys want $25-30M? Where is that $ coming from?

Why don't you just pay Lamar $25M, so then he'll only need $25M from the team, and then we'll let him pick whoever he wants?

I see a lot of people passing around other people's money like candy, but I don't see anybody stepping up to write a check...
Again, you dilute and conflate my assessment by bringing up Vick and Newton, who aren't in the same league as Lamar. As for the money, nobody gives a shit how a team figures out its salary cap. Just give the QB the help he needs like other teams manage to do. The Rams did it in LA with a collection of names for the ages and that resulted in the Lombardi trophy. So, stop being condescending and argumentative for no reason other than to be condescending and argumentative.

RavenRockaRolla

Practice Squad
The problem with your assessment is that athletes like Lamar and MJ only come along once in a lifetime. Don't argue with me on this because you haven't experienced what I have. Why else would I have adopted Lamar so readily and comprehensively, eh?
Lamar and Michael Jordan? omg

Having watched the Ravens for a lot of years, have seen them pinch pennies when they should not have. Have seen them negotiate hard and felt the loss of good players. Now here they are on the cusp of doing something outside of their character for a product of equal status to Michael Jackson. If it doesn't scare the crap out of you it should.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Again, you dilute and conflate my assessment by bringing up Vick and Newton, who aren't in the same league as Lamar. As for the money, nobody gives a shit how a team figures out its salary cap. Just give the QB the help he needs like other teams manage to do. The Rams did it in LA with a collection of names for the ages and that resulted in the Lombardi trophy. So, stop being condescending and argumentative for no reason other than to be condescending and argumentative.
Well actually I don't know that Lamar is in the league of those guys yet, since they did it for longer than Lamar did.

As for the $, smart people care. Smart people don't want to win one and then suck for the next several years, like the Rams are and will continue to do.
Other teams have the same struggles. Bills didn't advance in the playoffs because beyond Diggs, they have literally nothing. Just a bunch of JAGs up and down their offense. And it showed.
When Mahomes got expensive, they shipped off Tyreek and gave him a hodge-podge of incredibly pedestrian NFL WRs and Kelce. Doesn't seem to matter there either, because Mahomes is the MJ comp, not Lamar.
When Aaron Rodgers got expensive, they shipped off Adams and gave him a ton of rookies and Alan Lazard. And it showed.

Think you need to take a look around the league and see what's really going on. The teams "loaded with weapons" are the 49ers, Eagles and Bengals over the world, who aren't paying their QBs dick.

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well actually I don't know that Lamar is in the league of those guys yet, since they did it for longer than Lamar did.

As for the $, smart people care. Smart people don't want to win one and then suck for the next several years, like the Rams are and will continue to do.
Other teams have the same struggles. Bills didn't advance in the playoffs because beyond Diggs, they have literally nothing. Just a bunch of JAGs up and down their offense. And it showed.
When Mahomes got expensive, they shipped off Tyreek and gave him a hodge-podge of incredibly pedestrian NFL WRs and Kelce. Doesn't seem to matter there either, because Mahomes is the MJ comp, not Lamar.
When Aaron Rodgers got expensive, they shipped off Adams and gave him a ton of rookies and Alan Lazard. And it showed.

Think you need to take a look around the league and see what's really going on. The teams "loaded with weapons" are the 49ers, Eagles and Bengals over the world, who aren't paying their QBs dick.
Bills? they were last year, at least, and Chiefs? they have a pretty darn good array of weapons.

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
Daniel jones is due for a contract now and the giants have won absolutely nothing with him, that’s the right idea?
He at least won a playoff game and if they can add a skill player or two he's worth keeping. Oh and he plays a full year, not 2/3's of one. I think the Giants appear to be on a good trajectory and Jones played well enough to be worth consideration...but he"ll never get what Lamar is asking, not sure Lamar will.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Bills? they were last year, at least, and Chiefs? they have a pretty darn good array of weapons.
The Bills have no running game, no quality receivers behind Diggs, and an average Oline.
Who are the good weapons playing for the Chiefs this year? Do people really think MVS and Juju are like high-quality receivers in this league still? MVS has put up pedestrian numbers, in high passing volume offenses, his entire career, catching passes from 2 HOF QBs.

Like if the benchmark is " better than the Ravens WRs", cool. That's not the benchmark for anything. The Jets have more offensive talent at WR than the Chiefs do. As do plenty of other teams.

If Bateman, Duvernay, and Andrews were healthy, I'd take that trio over Kelce and literally any two WRs you want to pick off the Chiefs. And Mahomes would trade any two for those two in heart beat also. And Duvernay isn't special.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
He at least won a playoff game and if they can add a skill player or two he's worth keeping. Oh and he plays a full year, not 2/3's of one. I think the Giants appear to be on a good trajectory and Jones played well enough to be worth consideration...but he"ll never get what Lamar is asking, not sure Lamar will.
Well to be fair, I'm no Daniel Jones fan, and I'm not convinced the Giants will keep him long term. But he's a franchise tag candidate this year, which means he'll make $31M or so. Possibly more if they give him a short term extension.

At that price tag, I'd be out on Jones. The Giants are well coached and "try hard", but they've got a decent chance of losing Wink in the next year or two, they need massive upgrades at pass catchers on the offense, and their defense is really pretty average. They're several rungs below the 49ers, Eagles, even Cowboys of the world in terms of contenders in the NFC.
They're a major regression candidate for me in 2023. The only benefit they have is how watered down the NFC is. I don't think they're really any better or worse than Pittsburgh was last year, but they had a softer schedule.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Disagree, its worth it. The Ravens long term model is an illusion of success, were one of the worst in terms of playoff efficiency/ success the last ten years.