• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @Steelers

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah let’s leave out the top nickel guy, as if that’s not a crucial position where we have the clear edge...

Aside from Carr, I’d take our worst starting db over their best.

And something that hasn’t been mentioned enough... when we play the Steelers we gameplan the whole week and obviously key in on stopping bell, I don’t mean stop the run game, I mean stop bell. The Steelers haven’t faced a proven quality defense yet without bell, the difference in freedom we have to make plays and assign guys to different tasks is massive.

it's whoever get's to the QB that's going to win this game.

Tim Williams, it's time to breakout. As for Bowser, I don't think he has it but he's useful in certain situations. ANother wasted 2nd round pick.

Charm City

Pro Bowler

Tim Williams, it's time to breakout. As for Bowser, I don't think he has it but he's useful in certain situations. ANother wasted 2nd round pick.
I think we are trying to pigeonhole Bowser into the MLB position just like we tried to do with Correa due to our lack of depth there. That'll keep him from developing.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I think you’re really understating the importance of bell being gone...

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think you’re really understating the importance of bell being gone...

I think the amount of cushion we still continue to leave for quick short gains is the issue. Ben will just dink it until he needs to make a big play.

Tavon hasn't look great in the last two games. Will he be on james washington? Who's on Ju Ju? Peanut vs their tight ends?

This will come down to pass rush.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Bowser is playing on the edge pretty much exclusively

he's just not a natural pass rusher. He's got the athletic ability but he doesn't have good hands or a repertoire of moves. Disappointing as we could have drafted carl lawson but our FO were not high on him at all.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think the amount of cushion we still continue to leave for quick short gains is the issue. Ben will just dink it until he needs to make a big play.

Tavon hasn't look great in the last two games. Will he be on james washington? Who's on Ju Ju? Peanut vs their tight ends?

This will come down to pass rush.
without bell, dumpoffs are much less of a threat and the blitz becomes far more effective and less risky. Bell could turn a blitz into a completion constantly, with pickups and dumpoffs, James Conner is a talented runner but he isn’t the all around gamewrecker in every phase imaginable that bell is. Bell makes you not even wanna blitz but you can’t beat them by dropping 7 guys.

my big thing is how good is james conner in pass pro and blitz pickup because if he's not in the same stratosphere as bell then big ben's gonna be running for his life with all the deceptive blitzes and stunts and twists we use
not only that but bells ability to turn a dumpoff into a big play is frustrating as fuck. Conner isn’t the same guy. You can devote so much more to other places.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
without bell, dumpoffs are much less of a threat and the blitz becomes far more effective and less risky. Bell could turn a blitz into a completion constantly, with pickups and dumpoffs, James Conner is a talented runner but he isn’t the all around gamewrecker in every phase imaginable that bell is. Bell makes you not even wanna blitz but you can’t beat them by dropping 7 guys.

not only that but bells ability to turn a dumpoff into a big play is frustrating as fuck. Conner isn’t the same guy. You can devote so much more to other places.
Yeah but remember, our season is over. Just give up.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Yeah but remember, our season is over. Just give up.
giphy.gif

Sadly they seem to be getting healther. There O line will be back to full strength with gilbert and de castro. Burnett is a huge boost for them also. The only potential loss is hilton.

Their DBS will be

Artie Burns
Joe Haden
Sean Davis
Morgan Burnett

That's not as bad as people think. Without CJ and Jimmy it's not much worse than what we have to offer.
None of those DBs are close to be as good as Marlon. And Burnett is really just a tackling specalist. He's great at that but that's primarily why they signed him because they were an awful tackling team last year, in coverage he's not all that good.

Burns is also a huge bust and he's pretty much getting burned twice or three times a game. While Sean Davis has had a solid start, he was really bad last year and you can't say for sure that he's turned the corner.

I think Haden is easily the best of the bunch and is solid overall but I don't think that unit comes close to ours.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lately it seems like the Steelers really can't develop DBs. Granted, some of that could be on their DC's scheme, but they really should look for a new DB coach.

Brown should have another big game since Burns is the only member of that secondary that can run with him, and Brown's route running can get separation from Burns. Plus Snead and Andrews should be able to work the inside of that defense fairly well. And if they double cover Brown, that could just let Crabtree have a nice game. It feels so damn good actually having a number of good weapons.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lately it seems like the Steelers really can't develop DBs. Granted, some of that could be on their DC's scheme, but they really should look for a new DB coach.

Brown should have another big game since Burns is the only member of that secondary that can run with him, and Brown's route running can get separation from Burns. Plus Snead and Andrews should be able to work the inside of that defense fairly well. And if they double cover Brown, that could just let Crabtree have a nice game. It feels so damn good actually having a number of good weapons.

I think their DBs coach is doing a great job TBH. They should keep him forever and ever.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

The ravens and Steelers are basically polar opposites. We draft and develop DBs very well but could spot WR talent if it punched us in the dick, and the Steelers do the exact opposite

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Zrebiec:

Only 3 Ravens not practicing: LB Terrell Suggs (knee), DT Willie Henry (hernia) and CB Anthony Averett (hamstring). Henry and Averett won't play Sunday. Yet, to talk to anybody who believes Suggs will miss Sunday's game in Pittsburgh.

Among the Ravens back at practice after missing yesterday: QB Lamar Jackson (illness), WR John Brown (vet day), CB Brandon Carr (knee), S Eric Weddle (vet day), OT Ronnie Stanley (foot).

TE Hayden Hurst, LB C.J. Mosley and DT Michael Pierce all practicing for a second consecutive day.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Zrebiec:

Only 3 Ravens not practicing: LB Terrell Suggs (knee), DT Willie Henry (hernia) and CB Anthony Averett (hamstring). Henry and Averett won't play Sunday. Yet, to talk to anybody who believes Suggs will miss Sunday's game in Pittsburgh.

Among the Ravens back at practice after missing yesterday: QB Lamar Jackson (illness), WR John Brown (vet day), CB Brandon Carr (knee), S Eric Weddle (vet day), OT Ronnie Stanley (foot).

TE Hayden Hurst, LB C.J. Mosley and DT Michael Pierce all practicing for a second consecutive day.
Yikes. We need Suggs. But it’s good to see the others are good. Henry and Averett will be back soon enough.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
well as zrebiec says no one he's spoken to thinks suggs will miss the game - id imagine that if he got nicked up they'll give him as much time off as they can - its sizzle he doesnt need a week of practices
I would hope not. We have a long injury report but it's mostly just dudes that are nicked up to hell. I am not too worried.

*goes into the Forrest to knock on all the wood*

That Steelers oline holds to death and could likely get away with putting offensive players in a choke hold but this is the game to use a ton of those 5 OLB sets Wink has been foing. This is an all hands on deck game.

I have us losing this game right now... But for obvious reasons(go Bengals). This is more of a "this game could honestly go either way because of the rivalry" thing. It'll be close, they're at home. Can we win? Absolutely! Will we win? Not too sure. Should we win? Yes... The Steelers suck this year. But I am not going to do anything.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
so specifics on the injury report for practice from Zrebiec:

Eight players who either didn't practice Wednesday or were limited participants practiced in full for the Ravens today. That list includes John Brown, Brandon Carr, Lamar Jackson, Anthony Levine Sr., C.J. Mosley, Michael Pierce, Ronnie Stanley and Eric Weddle.

Hayden Hurst practiced but was still limited

Suggs didnt practice at all again (should we be worried?)

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
so specifics on the injury report for practice from Zrebiec:

Eight players who either didn't practice Wednesday or were limited participants practiced in full for the Ravens today. That list includes John Brown, Brandon Carr, Lamar Jackson, Anthony Levine Sr., C.J. Mosley, Michael Pierce, Ronnie Stanley and Eric Weddle.

Hayden Hurst practiced but was still limited

Suggs didnt practice at all again (should we be worried?)
Suggs is in the filmroom with the clicker in his hands.