• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next up: @Carolina

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Drew Brees also has a cunning ability to get rid of the ball quickly and accurately, without even trying to get out - he'll throw it where WR would magically appear half a second later.
Exactly, the saints are light years ahead of Carolina everywhere except for the front seven and TE. Better RBs, Michael Thomas > the whole panthers wr corps, better OL, a QB that is the perfect counter to our defense where Carolina kinda has the opposite.

Cam, who I’m a fan of btw, has always been victimized by top tier defenses, he becomes a shell of himself when he’s facing a swarming and talented and well coached defense, he panics, sees ghosts, rushes, and scrambles quickly, he does the same exact thing mariota did, the only difference is cam is simply far more talented, but that talent isn’t gonna make the difference when he doesn’t have that same level of poise.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Exactly, the saints are light years ahead of Carolina everywhere except for the front seven and TE. Better RBs, Michael Thomas > the whole panthers wr corps, better OL, a QB that is the perfect counter to our defense where Carolina kinda has the opposite.

Cam, who I’m a fan of btw, has always been victimized by top tier defenses, he becomes a shell of himself when he’s facing a swarming and talented and well coached defense, he panics, sees ghosts, rushes, and scrambles quickly, he does the same exact thing mariota did, the only difference is cam is simply far more talented, but that talent isn’t gonna make the difference when he doesn’t have that same level of poise.
I'm still not confident that will be enough to beat them. Their defensive front has the ability to shut our running game completely (which doesn't seem to be that hard anyway) and if they score first and force us into one of Flacco's 50+ pass attempts game, I don't see anything good happening.

Cam can make the throws, but cam doesn’t have the vision and anticipation of a guy like brees, I actually feared brees’ ability to scramble more than cam, brees can see a rush coming with his eyes downfield and subtly avoid it and take a rusher out of the play with single steps, cam is more “see the rusher, get the fuck out of the pocket” type, he’s more patient than mariota, and just a better QB in every way, but the mobile QBs are the ones who get sacked the most, and the reason is not because they’re trying too hard or doing too much, it’s because they use mobility as a crutch and almost never have the same pocket presence and awareness as a drew brees.
I think Brees is on another level then Cam but his system or WRs don't make or break him. He can truly excel at times reguardless of the pieces around him and I agree, Brees ability to move around the pocket is dangerous and he's more mobile then given credit for but I haven't been impressed with the offense Cam is surrounded by for quite a long time and yet he gets the job done. The match up seems great for us on paper, but I don't think it's going to translate for us and I honestly think Homefield homefield could be a deciding factor.

To your point, mobility can be a crutch and Newton does takes a lot of sacks so that's a weakness I expect us to exploit. I still think we'll win though.

I'm still not confident that will be enough to beat them. Their defensive front has the ability to shut our running game completely (which doesn't seem to be that hard anyway) and if they score first and force us into one of Flacco's 50+ pass attempts game, I don't see anything good happening.
That's ultimately what I fear, this could be that type of game where our offense gets shut down. I hope it doesn't go that way. FWIW, Tennesse has a pretty good defense and one that's better then Carolina IMO and we showed flashes so hopefully we can get the offense going early.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Jimmy Smith now has groin injury

ir.jpg

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think Brees is on another level then Cam but his system or WRs don't make or break him. He can truly excel at times reguardless of the pieces around him and I agree, Brees ability to move around the pocket is dangerous and he's more mobile then given credit for but I haven't been impressed with the offense Cam is surrounded by for quite a long time and yet he gets the job done. The match up seems great for us on paper, but I don't think it's going to translate for us and I honestly think Homefield homefield could be a deciding factor.

To your point, mobility can be a crutch and Newton does takes a lot of sacks so that's a weakness I expect us to exploit. I still think we'll win though.
With cam, he can coast on pure arm talent and his freakish size and athleticism, and he’s not some dumbass either, he can play qb all the way through, he’s he type of qb that can absolutely dominate average to below average defenses, he can win shootouts, etc. but he simply can’t pick apart an elite defense and when he’s outmatched it really shows and his poise is completely absent, he’s rattled and panicky. Guys like brees, Brady, rivers, Rodgers, and Ben when he decides to show up, all can dominate even the most elite of defenses on any given Sunday, because no matter what you throw at them, they have that intangible factor that keeps them cool and collected enough to make enough plays to win, cam simply lacks that, and that’s why I think we straight up make cam look bad, he’s just not the type of qb to play to his talent level against a defense like ours. I’d put the over under on 4 sacks and take the over, and I’d anticipate a sack fumble and a pick as well, because he scrambles recklessly and is very quick to do so against a defense that flusters him, and he has never been afraid to sling a poor desperation pass with no form when he’s panicked.

Tbh, the panthers offense doesn’t worry me the least bit, I think we will absolutely dominate them. Now our offense vs their defense is another story, that could go either way and it really all depends on how much our OL shows up.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I worry about that as well, but I like our O vs their D far more than the inverse. They have a very good defense mostly based on their front, they have a pretty weak offense that can have big days vs poor defenses. We have the best defense in the NFL, and a sporadic offense that I personally like way more than the panthers, and a personnel group that is very well rounded and damn hard to stop when they get going. I just don’t think the panthers can outscore us, even if we’re having a bad day on offense

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
1. Divisional match, inexplicable shit happens here
2. A defense id say is better suited to stop us than Carolinas
3. I’d argue better offensive weapons as well

Obviously any given Sunday is a thing, anything could happen, but id say logic points to us likely breezing through this game. Football defies logic plenty though

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Because this offense will inevitably will reach a point in the game in which they'll stagnate, it's going to be imperative to get off a fast start to see if CAR's offense can play catch-up. Also, no turnovers please (inevitable Flacco INT(s) imminent).