• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: vs Cardinals

How many times will Lamar run the football

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kyler looked horrific and then got on into a rhythm late with short passes and hurry-up, no huddle offense and the Lions D wore down. After that, he had a few deep strikes so he showed he can get the ball down field.

I feel like our D moves guys around and disguises things well enough to confuse and derail the rookie. I expect multiple turnovers and as long as the offense functions adequately (not expecting anything quite like week 1) we should be good.

And we have to ... because the these first 2 games are must wins given the strength of our schedule going forward.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Kyler looked horrific and then got on into a rhythm late with short passes and hurry-up, no huddle offense and the Lions D wore down. After that, he had a few deep strikes so he showed he can get the ball down field.

I feel like our D moves guys around and disguises things well enough to confuse and derail the rookie. I expect multiple turnovers and as long as the offense functions adequately (not expecting anything quite like week 1) we should be good.

And we have to ... because the these first 2 games are must wins given the strength of our schedule going forward.
Yeah, I think Earl Thomas will scheme the shit out of Kingsbury and Murray

rossihunter2

Staff Member
just watching the cardinals game to watch their OL (and any other tidbits on the way)

some notes so far - RT justin murray is getting beat like a drum with regularity - the cardinals just signed some guys off the street but i dont know if any of them will start over murray given that murray himself is only a recent addition to their roster - devon kennard who's not notably a great pass rusher had 3 sacks against this line - they just signed Jordan Mills who's a vet with starting experience but i wouldnt say its particularly high level (there's a reason the dolphins didnt hold onto him) - im not sure he'd be ready to take over the RT spot before our game though - but something to look out for...

with every passing down the more im salivating at the idea of judon or timmy getting after this RT - the tools Kennard is using are like a lesser version of timmy's

justin murray does a lot of reaching vs outside speed rushing

ooft - kyler's first batted pass came on a 3 man rush

kyler threw his first int because of a schemed db blitz which flushed him and he looked lost

justin pugh seems to be their anchor on the OL - their best looking running plays seem to be when they pull him across (similar to our power running but they dont do it regularly so far) - but he's also susceptible to letting guys cross his face in pass pro against the lions

Shipley is getting consistently bullied by these big 2-gapping DL especially in obvious running downs (short yardage situations etc.)

lots of zone-read, read-option type plays with the game predicated on play-action type looks - certainly they do some things that are similar to how we ran our offence down the stretch last year and it definitely is helping out their OL a lot in the running game

DJ Humphries susceptible to be beaten in pass rushing downs especially when there's some potential deception in who's rushing and who's dropping - if we run the dime with everyone at the line like we did a lot last year and have all sorts of deception in front of him he's going to have a nightmare working out who to block

Cardinals moving the pocket a lot trying to manufacture some time and clear throwing lanes for Kyler - the batted passes are going to be an issue this year certainly early on as he learns

mike daniels and trey flowers have both made plays in the passing game here, ashawn robinson been dominant in the running game also - cardinals line really struggling to deal with these guys 1v1

im looking at cardinals fans and they all seem to think justin pugh is awful which is surprising

btw these were the PFF grades for the Cardinals OL against the Lions -
Humphries 67.9
Pugh 60
Shipley 58.7
Sweezy 75.6
Murray 61.1

Lions doing a lot of rushing 3 and leaving a LB spying on Murray

ooh that's a nice play - they run full power to the right side pull the LT and the LG across and have Kyler and David Johnson mesh and zone-read - but the run and the qb run are both against the flow of the defence and its odd but it seems to get johnson into a lot of space to get the edge

the 2 tackles are still getting destroyed

the lions rushed 3 so much this game and dared kyler to beat them dropping 8 - lots of shorter passes that have no chance of converting to 1st downs... i think kyler's going to see a completely different kind of defence against us - we're gonna really test out their OL - feels like the kind of game where Peanut might go huge

4th quarter - the interior guys on the cardinals line really wore out the big heavy defensive tackles of the lions (and we're talking good defensive linemen here - probably partly to do with the amount of hurry up etc. that kingsbury played in the first game which limits substitutions - we're gonna have to be hot on rotating our linemen and i think we may have to activate daylon mack and maybe also jaylon ferguson on sunday to make sure we've got fresh pieces to get after it) - but also part of the come back was sparked by kyler finally getting a little bit of room to use his legs to get yards down the field - and also the fact that larry fitzgerald is still a god

found a snap on short yardage where the cardinals run an unbalanced line with DJ Humphries moving across to Right Tight End (he got nice push on Kennard - play should have been stuffed after a safety made a nice read on the end around but missed tackle allowed a conversion)

a lot of the success in the 4th quarter came from a prevent(ier) type defensive style from detroit but really murray just started exploiting the LBs in coverage - getting wrs on crossers behind the linebackers in zone and getting david johnson singled up in man - that being said there were plenty of chances for detroit to end drives earlier but missed tackles and missed plays will haunt them - an injury timeout that stopped the clock when the cardinals had none left... a needless innocuous penalty on the DL that gave the cardinals half the distance to the goal line

murray showing really nice touch and placement on these last few drives - helps that he's suddenly got a lot of time in the pocket and in overtime fitzgerald got left 1v1 against a safety for his big play...

so the success towards the end of the game was predicated on getting the ball out quickly using lots of pick/rub routes to create space, but also some larry fitzgerald wizardry

early in the game the lions defence was dominating the cardinals OL - not so much at the end... may have been tiredness but also may just have been the cardinals game-plan changed and so did the lions - i certainly dont foresee us only rushing 3 as many times as the lions did

the lions had 88 snaps on offence
the cardinals had 89 snaps on offence...

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Darn. I prefer the CBS broadcasts over Fox. Not sure why.
Sometimes there are exception to these rules. For example, the Giants at Colts game last season was on CBS. I don't think our game will be one of those exceptions, but watch for that mini commercial that shows the list of games (should show it once during the TNF game). It'll show which channel our game is on.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Sometimes there are exception to these rules. For example, the Giants at Colts game last season was on CBS. I don't think our game will be one of those exceptions, but watch for that mini commercial that shows the list of games (should show it once during the TNF game). It'll show which channel our game is on.
they have already announced it will be on fox and yes, a couple seasons ago they stated having some exceptions

Seeing Suggs in another uniform is going feel as weird as it was watching Joe last night. Maybe weirder since he’ll be going against us.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Time of possession is key to this game. Keep the ball and keep the defense fresh so they have the energy and speed to harass Kyler murray.

We're 13.5 point favorites. Don't know about all that. Should be able to win, but not sure if it's by two touchdowns.
Yeah - when I first saw that line I was stunned. Then I thought about it some more and kinda understand why. Cards o line is depleted, the whole west coast team travelling east for a 1 PM game, rookie QB against a defense that has traditionally eats rookie QBs alive, they played OT in their last game while we basically played what amounted to a 1/2 of a preseason scrimmage.

Vegas also has seen we now have the potential to put up points and a willingness to boot stomp a team when they are down.

I wouldn't take the bet, but I understand the line.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
It's a crazy amount of points, but we're a better defense than the Lions and they have to travel. Also, have better weapons on offense. Should cover, but who knows.

Peterson out, Gilbert out. Two HUGE players for them. Better take advantage. Then the fact Kyler is a rookie on a team that's throwing him to wolves. This should be a turnover fest on their side. We have to speed to contain him as well. Earl should be allowed to roam because our guys shouldn't have much of a problem 1-1. I don't see how this isn't a blowout home opener. Hate to has to be you Suggs.

Hope Marvin snatches Crabtree's chain.

tFdGbD.gif