• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2020 Offseason Thread

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
ive been saying it all offseason, if roman cant incorporate the WRs more then he might actually be detrimental to lamars development, the same way cam cameron was great for flacco early on but in the long run he handcuffed him too much.

with a talent like Hollywood, and another elite target in andrews to keep defenses from honing in entirely, there should be no excuse to not involve the WRs. Hollywood himself should have massive production but if the playbook is designed entirely around running and working TEs between the numbers then he wont put up numbers indicative of his ability, and just the presence alone of our offense should make things extremely easy for lesser talents like duvernay and boykin and proche, if we arent at least seeing a combined 800 yards from WRs not named hollywood then greg roman is gonna need serious consideration for replacement because it would fall almost entirely on him, partially on Lamar but if the offense is very WR unfriendly and you have a young developing qb like Lamar then you really cant place real blame on him, hes been conditioned to throw to TEs thanks in large part to romans tailoring of the playbook.
Is not really roman fault if our wrs arent as good and cant get open vs man cvg. We drafted a wr who is great with screens but rte running sucks. Proche looks decent but idk what he will really bring to the table. I guess we are hoping on a big leap from boykin. Not even BB couldve gotten our wrs to look good last season. Our wrs and lamar are gonna have to continue to put in overtime for roman to be able to get our wrs inolved more..I think for roman to actually get pointed out, we will have to see no progress from style also.

Reactions: cdp

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Is not really roman fault if our wrs arent as good and cant get open vs man cvg. We drafted a wr who is great with screens but rte running sucks. Proche looks decent but idk what he will really bring to the table. I guess we are hoping on a big leap from boykin. Not even BB couldve gotten our wrs to look good last season. Our wrs and lamar are gonna have to continue to put in overtime for roman to be able to get our wrs inolved more..I think for roman to actually get pointed out, we will have to see no progress from style also.
That’s just false because willie Snead without the threat of a Hollywood opening up the intermediate did very well in 2018 with a different OC and same qb

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
That’s just false because willie Snead without the threat of a Hollywood opening up the intermediate did very well in 2018 with a different OC and same qb
Most his yards came with flacco. Snead prolly had around like 200 yrds with lamar.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Most his yards came with flacco. Snead prolly had around like 200 yrds with lamar.
False again. Snead was averaging 40 YPG for the whole season and an identical 40 YPG over the 5 game stretch with Lamar. His production was almost identical with both QBs. The exact split is 44.8 YPG weeks 1-10 and 40.6 YPG 11-17

and going from 200 yards in a 5 game stretch, to 300 in 16 games, is a pretty big goddamn dropoff, and a lot of it falls on Roman.

you’re dropping false posts left and right here, and the arguments shouldn’t even happen regarding this because Greg Roman has never had a successful wr game, it’s always been his Achilles heel as a OC.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
False again. Snead was averaging 40 YPG for the whole season and an identical 40 YPG over the 5 game stretch with Lamar. His production was almost identical with both QBs. The exact split is 44.8 YPG weeks 1-10 and 40.6 YPG 11-17

and going from 200 yards in a 5 game stretch, to 300 in 16 games, is a pretty big goddamn dropoff, and a lot of it falls on Roman.

you’re dropping false posts left and right here, and the arguments shouldn’t even happen regarding this because Greg Roman has never had a successful wr game, it’s always been his Achilles heel as a OC.
O ok so he had 280 yrds in 7 games withlamar lmaoo.. that is not good in any shape or form. Im not saying gregs wr game is good. Im saying the fact that our wrs arent good plus lamar still learning , you cant put the blame on him.

Edit: just went back and checked and unless i missed something, snead had 203 yrds with lamar. You dnt even have to check to know most his yards came when flacco was qb tbh.

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
O ok so he had 280 yrds in 7 games withlamar lmaoo.. that is not good in any shape or form. Im not saying gregs wr game is good. Im saying the fact that our wrs arent good plus lamar still learning , you cant put the blame on him.

Edit: just went back and checked and unless i missed something, snead had 203 yrds with lamar. You dnt even have to check to know most his yards came when flacco was qb tbh.
I fucked up because the stat sheet I did my math on left games off the board entirely instead of listing him for 0-0 smfh. The chargers and raiders games weren’t being counted in my math. My bad smh. But still, the difference in YPG from Lamar 2018 to 2019 is 29 and 21 YPG, respectively. That is still a sizable dropoff yet the offense was way more pass happy and an added speed element should’ve made it much easier on him. He was(or was supposed to be) the 2nd option at WR both years and 3rd Behind the TE.

Yeah he been not productive with Lamar, but the difference in Greg romans offense has been noticeable, he lost a shit ton of targets in this offense

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I fucked up because the stat sheet I did my math on left games off the board entirely instead of listing him for 0-0 smfh. The chargers and raiders games weren’t being counted in my math. My bad smh. But still, the difference in YPG from Lamar 2018 to 2019 is 29 and 21 YPG, respectively. That is still a sizable dropoff yet the offense was way more pass happy and an added speed element should’ve made it much easier on him. He was(or was supposed to be) the 2nd option at WR both years and 3rd Behind the TE.

Yeah he been not productive with Lamar, but the difference in Greg romans offense has been noticeable, he lost a shit ton of targets in this offense
Oh no im not all the way disagreeing with you because it is truth to it for sure. I just think we have to help roman a lil more before we can strictly blame it on him

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Oh no im not all the way disagreeing with you because it is truth to it for sure. I just think we have to help roman a lil more before we can strictly blame it on him
We did though, and this is probably the last year he has to prove he can use the wrs, Hollywood, Boykin, duvernay, proche, and we exchanged the weakest of the 3 TEs, he has all he needs to at least attempt it, and while he’s at it he desperately needs to work on the screen game and get that dialed up the way he had it in Buffalo. He’s got the most talented lineup he’s ever had, he has no more excuses after this year

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
We did though, and this is probably the last year he has to prove he can use the wrs, Hollywood, Boykin, duvernay, proche, and we exchanged the weakest of the 3 TEs, he has all he needs to at least attempt it, and while he’s at it he desperately needs to work on the screen game and get that dialed up the way he had it in Buffalo. He’s got the most talented lineup he’s ever had, he has no more excuses after this year

i wouldnt say hurst was the weakest. he just wasnt the most used. His hands are the best we had last year and he clearly has talent, a lot of it.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i wouldnt say hurst was the weakest. he just wasnt the most used. His hands are the best we had last year and he clearly has talent, a lot of it.
I agree he’s got hands and talent, and is also an excellent blocker, but hurst lacked a lot of pro traits and I think those things are gonna hold him back no matter what team he’s on. Hurst has vice grip hands but as a TE you want to see him work to the ball more often, he was an extremely passive catcher and where andrews was making catches open and covered and no matter where the ball is placed, hurst is catching balls put right in his hands, which isn’t a knock but he clearly is in a whole different tier of catcher than andrews, so while he has better hands he’s definitely not the better catcher of the ball. His spatial awareness was always lacking terribly, with his skill set he needs better understanding of zones and needs better awareness, he just doesn’t quite have as much of it as you’d like, he’s 100 miles per hour on his routes and he needs to learn how to pace, sit down, work back to the qb, and break the play down and scramble with his qb.

I think hurst is gonna be solid in Atlanta but that’s a very TE friendly offense, Austin hooper was making wide open catches all over the damn place and all he did was just kinda run somewhere, nothing special on his part just an offense that gets the TE open fairly often, hurst should be fine, but he’s not gonna be some game breaker. I’d much rather have the blocking and rumbling of Boyle as my TE2 for this offense.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Roman was our OC for 1 year and we had one of the statistically most efficient offences of all time with the most rushing yards in history

you seem to be coming down on him real hard for a perceived future failure that hasnt happened yet...

this offence will develop again just like it did last year and it will add new passing concepts

that being said Harbs was clear that this wasnt going to become a conventional offence which clearly means they've got some creative ideas to improve our passing game without becoming a less dynamic and creative offence

we also have a draft board that gets built around what we want in our players to complement what we have on our team - we have one of the best links between front office and coaching staff in the league because of that synergy and it means that we're not going to draft guys that the coaches dont think will be part of the offence

duvernay got drafted because there is a plan for him - and it looks like a similar plan to last year in terms of building talent and that's to add speed to this offence which means we're expecting to use that speed in our offence

the one thing Roman has shown throughout his career as an OC is his ability to elevate mediocre talent around QBs who were also athletes into league-leading running games with complementary passing attacks - in the first year where he's been in charge of an offence with a great QB, his offence was historically good based on his scheme using the offensive pieces in a great way

those pieces have changed a little so the offence will likely evolve

you're worrying way too much

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Roman was our OC for 1 year and we had one of the statistically most efficient offences of all time with the most rushing yards in history

you seem to be coming down on him real hard for a perceived future failure that hasnt happened yet...

this offence will develop again just like it did last year and it will add new passing concepts

that being said Harbs was clear that this wasnt going to become a conventional offence which clearly means they've got some creative ideas to improve our passing game without becoming a less dynamic and creative offence

we also have a draft board that gets built around what we want in our players to complement what we have on our team - we have one of the best links between front office and coaching staff in the league because of that synergy and it means that we're not going to draft guys that the coaches dont think will be part of the offence

duvernay got drafted because there is a plan for him - and it looks like a similar plan to last year in terms of building talent and that's to add speed to this offence which means we're expecting to use that speed in our offence

the one thing Roman has shown throughout his career as an OC is his ability to elevate mediocre talent around QBs who were also athletes into league-leading running games with complementary passing attacks - in the first year where he's been in charge of an offence with a great QB, his offence was historically good based on his scheme using the offensive pieces in a great way

those pieces have changed a little so the offence will likely evolve

you're worrying way too much
im coming off way more harsh than im intending thats for sure lol. i appreciate the hell out of roman and respect his genius, im just seeing a potential stagnation that worries me, because until we can involve the wrs more on the outsides, we wont get past talented defenses with the right personnel and gameplan, and he has a fairly long history of failing to make that leap.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Other than hollywood, who can you really count on to get open? When we play against a man cvg team, our guys really really struggle to get any separation and i dnt think its roman’s fault. We do a lot of motioning to cause mismatches and confusing to help out but even then its still hard.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Havent heard much at all about tavon..is neck or whatever still fked up?

I'd consider tavon anything but a sure thing. At best he'll be average at this point. Hardly played any football over the last 4 seasons and when he came back in 2018 he wasn't as good as his rookie year, average.

I'll take average at this point seeing that his rookie year he was solid.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
im coming off way more harsh than im intending thats for sure lol. i appreciate the hell out of roman and respect his genius, im just seeing a potential stagnation that worries me, because until we can involve the wrs more on the outsides, we wont get past talented defenses with the right personnel and gameplan, and he has a fairly long history of failing to make that leap.

its hard to call it a stagnation when that hasnt happened yet - hard to call anything a trend after only 1 year lol