• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @Oakland

Tank

Hall of Famer
Well, you already know that I'm rooting for Tyrod! That goes with out saying. He's struggled in his game play at times as well and just like with Flacco, I've smoked his game play on the Bills boards. Ole' Mili is an equal opportunist. :lol:
Only figures cause you know who taught him the NFL game. :-)

It's a really good break down from Pitta and I honestly do think the OL needs to step up as well. I know it's tough when you got 3rd string guards out there but you still need more from the both of your guys there. I still think Joe obviously needs to improve but I was wrong for not giving enough criticism to the OL who obviously need to improve.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

It's a really good break down from Pitta and I honestly do think the OL needs to step up as well. I know it's tough when you got 3rd string guards out there but you still need more from the both of your guys there. I still think Joe obviously needs to improve but I was wrong for not giving enough criticism to the OL who obviously need to improve.

2013,2014,2015,2016,2017. Two seasons with SHIT o-lines (2013,2017), two seasons with "meh at-best" o-lines (2015,2016) and one season with an awesome o-line (2014). At this point, I don't need to say anymore as it pertains to Flacco's performance relating to how well the o-line is. It speaks for itself.

It's nice for Flacco to point what he needs to address and improve upon, but in a few weeks we play the Vikings, a team with a damn good defense led by one guy that knows Flacco oh too well: Zimmer. If we score more than 10 points in that game, I'd be shocked.

2013,2014,2015,2016,2017. Two seasons with SHIT o-lines (2013,2017), two seasons with "meh at-best" o-lines (2015,2016) and one season with an awesome o-line (2014). At this point, I don't need to say anymore as it pertains to Flacco's performance relating to how well the o-line is. It speaks for itself.

It's nice for Flacco to point what he needs to address and improve upon, but in a few weeks we play the Vikings, a team with a damn good defense led by one guy that knows Flacco oh too well: Zimmer. If we score more than 10 points in that game, I'd be shocked.

After the Steelers game Joe himself kinda pointed out the the OL didn't play well. He said that Pittsburgh didn't really blitz much nor did they do anything special and I do agree with that settlement. On some plays we added extra protection with Watson and Boyle blocking and because of a miscommunication Joe was pressure and had to rush a throw, at that point you have to look at the OL and hold them liable too. At the same time I don't give Joe much of a pass, to say this OL unit is bad is not a valid statement when they're run blocking well and helping you run the ball better than you have the last 2 seasons, I think in terms of pass blocking they have been disappointing but I think most of their issues has to do with chemistry and communication. There are QBs that are playing better with a worse OL unit than this so he has to step his game up.

HNL Raven

Practice Squad
After the Steelers game Joe himself kinda pointed out the the OL didn't play well. He said that Pittsburgh didn't really blitz much nor did they do anything special and I do agree with that settlement. On some plays we added extra protection with Watson and Boyle blocking and because of a miscommunication Joe was pressure and had to rush a throw, at that point you have to look at the OL and hold them liable too. At the same time I don't give Joe much of a pass, to say this OL unit is bad is not a valid statement when they're run blocking well and helping you run the ball better than you have the last 2 seasons, I think in terms of pass blocking they have been disappointing but I think most of their issues has to do with chemistry and communication. There are QBs that are playing better with a worse OL unit than this so he has to step his game up.
whos oline is worse than baltimores? maybe seattle but they still have wilson and a better scheme than martys.

whos oline is worse than baltimores? maybe seattle but they still have wilson and a better scheme than martys.
I can recall their OC being under fire last season, I think one of the players mothers called out Darrell Bevell. I'm also certain that their defense has done so as well. I also hear that their only legit offensive linemen is their center Justin Britt, outside of that they don't have much their and I think their LT went down for the season. Houston's OL has been worse than ours and so has Cincinnati's and they just fired their OC. Andy Dalton threw two INTs through two games but as of now, he's been at another level compared to Joe. His game against Cleveland is miles above what Joe did and that's what we considered as his best game.

Last edited:

RavensDFan

Veteran
I can't even manage to drum up some optimism anymore. We're just not good. Sad thing is we do have some talent, which is being wasted by crap coordinators on both sides of the ball. O line falls squarely on Ozzie. Clearly, the FO couldn't give a crap or is extremely out of touch. No way Marty should still have a job.

Lose - lose IMO. We win and just another week, another season that things that need addressing get ignored. We lose, and I mean, we lose. I hate when we lose. Plus a loss here pretty much cements that any post season hopes are done.

I can't even manage to drum up some optimism anymore. We're just not good. Sad thing is we do have some talent, which is being wasted by crap coordinators on both sides of the ball. O line falls squarely on Ozzie. Clearly, the FO couldn't give a crap or is extremely out of touch. No way Marty should still have a job.

Lose - lose IMO. We win and just another week, another season that things that need addressing get ignored. We lose, and I mean, we lose. I hate when we lose. Plus a loss here pretty much cements that any post season hopes are done.
You lose your starting guard and your back ups guards? I mean it's hard to really get mad at the FO. How can you seen that coming? I don't think they take blame for it, just asking if you had the choice what you have done? How many teams have 3rd string guards that can replace the level of play for their starters? You take away a teams starters and back ups and you have an issue. I mean Alex Lewis was solid pass protecting and our OL pass blocking was better when he was on the field, as a cheap option with potential to make a jump, obviously we regret it but it's bad luck what has happened to him. What else can you really do? I think the OL just falls on injuries.

RavensDFan

Veteran
You lose your starting guard and your back ups guards? I mean it's hard to really get mad at the FO. How can you seen that coming? I don't think they take blame for it, just asking if you had the choice what you have done? How many teams have 3rd string guards that can replace the level of play for their starters? You take away a teams starters and back ups and you have an issue. I mean Alex Lewis was solid pass protecting and our OL pass blocking was better when he was on the field, as a cheap option with potential to make a jump, obviously we regret it but it's bad luck what has happened to him. What else can you really do? I think the OL just falls on injuries.

We really, as a fanbase, need to stop with the "injuries" crutch. You are aware that other teams suffer injuries as well and while their level of play may diminish they don't crap the bed like we do. Do I expect the 3rd string to play like the 1st string? No. Do I expect them to play beyond a pee wee level? Yes and that isn't the case.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
We really, as a fanbase, need to stop with the "injuries" crutch. You are aware that other teams suffer injuries as well and while their level of play may diminish they don't crap the bed like we do. Do I expect the 3rd string to play like the 1st string? No. Do I expect them to play beyond a pee wee level? Yes and that isn't the case.
We have lost two of the most important players on the team. One on offense and one on defense and while it isn’t an excuse for the losses, it is a reason why we haven’t played well the last couple of weeks.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

Absolutely! :clap:

So - I go out to see if Williams is back to practice and instead I see the Jimmy is out of practice - guess I had to figure it was only a matter of time before he'd be sidelined.

Great. Just great.

I'm not using injuries as an excuse as to why this team isn't playing well, I'm using it as an explanation as to why you can't get upset at the FO, we still need to play better as a team. When do you see a team lose their starting guards and their back ups this early in the season? I also wouldn't say Hurst has been playing that bad, he's been decent and what else can you expect? He's a 3rd string for a reason. I've said on this same thread that other teams have worse OL units and are playing better so Joe and the offense doesn't get much of a pass, but you can't get upset at the FO, how can they plan for this?

RavensDFan

Veteran
We have lost two of the most important players on the team. One on offense and one on defense and while it isn’t an excuse for the losses, it is a reason why we haven’t played well the last couple of weeks.
Except that "most important person" changes with the weather. One season it was Jimmy remember? We can't do anything with Jimmy out. Once it was Suggs. We can't generate any pass rush with Suggs out. Now, it is BWill. Seems like the most important person on defense is whoever happens to be injured when the defense has the same issues it has had for years.

Yanda is certainly a valid reason (all pro and voted best offensive lineman and such) for the drop off in performance of the OL. No doubt. However, that excuse doesn't hold for a complete and total fall down the drain.

Like I said, other teams lose important pieces and do not crap the bed.

RavensDFan

Veteran
I'm not using injuries as an excuse as to why this team isn't playing well, I'm using it as an explanation as to why you can't get upset at the FO, we still need to play better as a team. When do you see a team lose their starting guards and their back ups this early in the season? I also wouldn't say Hurst has been playing that bad, he's been decent and what else can you expect? He's a 3rd string for a reason. I've said on this same thread that other teams have worse OL units and are playing better so Joe and the offense doesn't get much of a pass, but you can't get upset at the FO, how can they plan for this?
The Raiders are without their QB (by all reports) so if they outplay us on Sunday, what is the excuse then?