• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Running Game, The Lamar and The Ronnie

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
Steelers had a RB on the field for every snap in H1. They came out to start H2 in 01 personnel (1 TE, 4 WRs). They caught the Ravens in nickel (Jimmy on, but Fort and Queen in too), got Smith-Schuster on Queen (he was R3, Peters took R2 McCloud and Humphrey took R1 Johnson), and Smith-Schuster lost Queen, gaining 24 yards (doubling Roethlisberger's passing yards).

Ravens respond by bringing in Bonds for the next snap, and that was that. 18 total snaps of 01 for PIT, all dropbacks. They went 13/15 for 120 yards and 1 TD from 01. Also drew 2 DPIs (Bonds, Humphrey), each for 20 yards. Sacked for -7 yards on one other snap. I've yet to confirm, but I'd guess Bonds was on the field for all of those (although not targeted on all of them obviously).

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
And then you gon' post this gif like you did something. "Let me post this Bruce Lee gif real quick. That'll show HIM!"

And, the gif evidently done what it was designed to do because you mentioned it. I love it when a plan comes together.

gYCniRE.gif

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I don’t blame Hollywood for being upset. Hes a 1st round pick with massive talent. Give him the Football.

I would bet he's open more than his numbers show. It almost feels like we're trying not to throw to him. It makes no sense that he's not more involved.

The Last Great Raven

Practice Squad
Banned
It wasn't tipped, and Minkah hit Snead in the head with his shoulder right as Snead was going to catch the ball. Re-watching the play, it looks like it fits the NFL's description of a hit to a defenseless receiver.

There was a little head to head contact after Fitzpatrick went for the wobble ball and appeared to touch it first. It wasn't intentional and he was clearly making a play on the ball and not tackling. Sometimes its on the QB. Don't set a receiver up for punishment by making a desperate flick into a crowd and sending a wobble ball his way.

The good news is the running game was good even after Stanley left. Every Raven ran well. The bad news is Lamar had a slew of turnovers and a horrible throwing day even with a running game keeping the bad guys off their coverage.

The Last Great Raven

Practice Squad
Banned
I would bet he's open more than his numbers show. It almost feels like we're trying not to throw to him. It makes no sense that he's not more involved.

Lamar is a tight end qb. They are easier to throw to than WR's. They are big targets and rarely have more than single man coverage, usually because they enter the pattern late. Theres not much reading of the defensive coverage. Anderson and the others are simply easier to throw to for lamar. Now, establishing the run can suck a defense up for the long bomb to Brown now and then and Lamar can do that too. He likes to see his target clearly open and he can throw to that!

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
There were (I think) 3 instances where if Ben held on the ball for like a second longer, it would've been a sack.

On another note, @UPennChem , I think you were on to something when you had the dream of a defensive player hitting the ref. LMAOO!
HE DID SAY HE HAD A DREAM FERGUSON BEAT UP THE REF! Please tell me someone here stepped in and said “that sounds more like something Judon would do”

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I mean... its really just "do we play a team with an average to below average defense".

Like Tennessee's defense is actually quite bad at this point. And Buffalo has regressed significantly, especially against the run.

Indy game next week is probably one of the last true "barometer" games against a solid defense, save the Pittsburgh rematch. The only good thing about playing the Colts is I think we match up extremely well against their offense (immobile QB, not a lot of playmakers outside, good against the run, etc.).

We get beat badly by like Indy or Tennessee, I'll be the first to throw out the red flags. I'm just not seeing it. Its a week to week league, but I'm not convinced you have to play really well to beat these teams. We turned it over 3 times today against an undefeated team and were as close as anybody to beating them.
But you see what we’re gonna do against these not great defenses is pass the ball 40 times and hope for the best, and if we win it won’t be pretty.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
You're late to the party, Mili. But of course...Mili doesn't care about none of that. Mili thinks the world revolves around him. And then Mili's gonna be like, "See, what does this have to do with my post about Hollywood voicing his frustrations. That's the problem with you young cats."
Goddamn cats

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar is a tight end qb. They are easier to throw to than WR's. They are big targets and rarely have more than single man coverage, usually because they enter the pattern late. Theres not much reading of the defensive coverage. Anderson and the others are simply easier to throw to for lamar. Now, establishing the run can suck a defense up for the long bomb to Brown now and then and Lamar can do that too. He likes to see his target clearly open and he can throw to that!
I agree with you. Its why i thought we needed a good TE to complement Andrews . Don't try to make Lamar what he is not.

Last edited:

Justin Diaz-Thomas

Practice Squad
we are 5-2 we will lose another game or 2, I'm less concerned with the O-line than I thought I'd be. Baby Zues will be fine and Flucker held up well. I believe in Lamar, He played bad no way around it and he was the reason we lost yesterday. I fully expect him to bounce back and lead us to a 12 win season.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
But you see what we’re gonna do against these not great defenses is pass the ball 40 times and hope for the best, and if we win it won’t be pretty.
I doubt it. He's been above 30 attempts once all year. If I had bet money on a game where he was above 40, it would have been the Steelers game, because pretty much no team beats the Steelers by running the ball. And we effectively did.

I obviously don't expect a 2:1 run/pass ratio like we saw yesterday, because that's not going to be sustainable. Especially in games where your defense isn't playing great.

But I have every expectation in the world that we're going to be a lot more run-heavy going forward, especially with the shape our offensive line is in.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
No. DB moved over to Snead's vicinity as the ball was in the air.
The only thing I said there was... I think I like our chance with Boykin in basically man coverage on boundary, compared to a middle of field jump ball with Snead.

I understand what Lamar saw when he released, but I'm still not sure that was the right decision.

Simba

Staff Member
The only thing I said there was... I think I like our chance with Boykin in basically man coverage on boundary, compared to a middle of field jump ball with Snead.

I understand what Lamar saw when he released, but I'm still not sure that was the right decision.

I'm very surprised Snead was the choice there. Byokin probably a little better option there. Not sure what Andrews had going on but obviously that's a spot where you have to look his direction as well. Would have been a prime opportunity for Dez had he been on the 53 actually lol

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I mentioned this a while back too but hollywood playing here is making his worth far less than what it should be and that goes for any wr we are gonna draft or trade for.. we are better off getting establishing vets whose main purpose is just to win.. young wrs want to get paid and this not the place for them

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I doubt it. He's been above 30 attempts once all year. If I had bet money on a game where he was above 40, it would have been the Steelers game, because pretty much no team beats the Steelers by running the ball. And we effectively did.

I obviously don't expect a 2:1 run/pass ratio like we saw yesterday, because that's not going to be sustainable. Especially in games where your defense isn't playing great.

But I have every expectation in the world that we're going to be a lot more run-heavy going forward, especially with the shape our offensive line is in.
That post was never meant to be taken seriously or statistically accurate

Simba

Staff Member
I mentioned this a while back too but hollywood playing here is making his worth far less than what it should be and that goes for any wr we are gonna draft or trade for.. we are better off getting establishing vets whose main purpose is just to win.. young wrs want to get paid and this not the place for them

Because that worked so well for Crabtree and Maclin. Absolutely cannot bank on over the hill guys coming here and making a difference. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Young WRs in their prime really don't make it to FA. You have to trade huge amounts of draft capital for them.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler

In Hollywood Brown case generally the number one receiver in Greg Roman offense has always been productive at the 1,000+ receiving mark. I can agree that Greg Roman offense overall isn't historically known for amazing passing concepts or producing big numbers passing wise but for the most part Hollywood Brown should be good. I don't know why he hasn't been getting much looks or being involved more lately though. I think the expectation was for Roman offense to evolve passing wise with David Culley and James Urban help though.