• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Lamar, The Jags and The Playoff Scenarios

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Orlando Brown has been phenomenal at LT since he took over - and really good on top of everything else as a puller

it's worked really well the last 3 weeks when we've had him and Bozeman pull and anchoring those runs behind Powers

Powers had another great game too (tbf think the whole OL did pretty well against the Jags) but Powers is doing everything he possibly can to convince the front office that he's the RG and deserves to stay the RG for 2021

rossihunter2

Staff Member
this is why you have to defer to the tape over stats and trust your eyes sometimes because Trace McSorley ran faster than Tyler Huntley at the combine but having seen them both now, literally no one would tell you that would be the case, trace looks mobile but not particularly fast, Ty looked like he was shot out of a cannon

rossihunter2

Staff Member
also the Tyler Huntley back-shoulder fade to Boykin (that boykin dropped) was a good throw and should have been caught

but most interestingly to me was that Huntley's release looked completely different to me (will have to wait on the coaches film to be sure) - it looks a lot quicker and shorter which if that's true and he's already got that release length down then I have to think he's got a real chance to be the number 2 QB on the roster next year because watching him and trace in college I have to say I think Huntley was the better reader of the field, the better runner and the more assured QB

but McSorley's release was way cleaner and in the NFL a long release is a death sentence with how good safeties are

Simba

Staff Member
Orlando Brown has been phenomenal at LT since he took over - and really good on top of everything else as a puller

it's worked really well the last 3 weeks when we've had him and Bozeman pull and anchoring those runs behind Powers

Powers had another great game too (tbf think the whole OL did pretty well against the Jags) but Powers is doing everything he possibly can to convince the front office that he's the RG and deserves to stay the RG for 2021

I love Bozeman as a pulling G, but curious if there's any thought to him moving back to C next year which could open us up to BPA at any of the interior spots to get the best 5 on the field.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I love Bozeman as a pulling G, but curious if there's any thought to him moving back to C next year which could open us up to BPA at any of the interior spots to get the best 5 on the field.

I think we'll be taking BPA at any interior spot and we'll worry about the individual positions when we get to camp and the preseason

but yeah right now it seems like C is the weakest starting spot looking at 2021 - from the game yesterday it seems clear to me that the lineman who "struggled" was Mekari

but Bozeman, Orlando and Powers are thriving right now and working well as a group - so many times our positive runs involve a combination of those 3 creating the hole

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah that’s kinda what I’m getting at lol, good thing we let Eric handle it lmao. Dobbins and madubuike was clearly the right move, they look like the most promising new players on the team
Queen's going to be a stud and playmaker as well. Queen didn't even start at LSU on game one and we are starting to see his talent shining through. Next year should be a big leap. Right now he is also doing so much better with Fort on the field.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Had a gut feeling the DL wish was coming true once they traded back. All of those guys in that tier were still on the board so figured they had to feel comfortable.
I was ecstatic we drafted Dobbins. Loved him as a player, but in my gut I was upset we didn't land Mims. I felt so bad for you when we traded down in the 3rd, but was excited with what we would do with the additional pick and so many good players still on the board.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@organizedchaos21

i dont know if you'll have these figures and whether they're within your wheelhouse but i guess i'll ask just in case

do you have a record of specific plays we've run with specific personnel?

for instance - would you have a record of what percentage of our inverted veer plays we've run with different RBs e.g. how often is it dobbins vs gus vs ingram vs hill when we run those concepts...

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
@organizedchaos21

i dont know if you'll have these figures and whether they're within your wheelhouse but i guess i'll ask just in case

do you have a record of specific plays we've run with specific personnel?

for instance - would you have a record of what percentage of our inverted veer plays we've run with different RBs e.g. how often is it dobbins vs gus vs ingram vs hill when we run those concepts...

I have half of that. I don't know anything about specific play calls. Couldn't tell you what an inverted veer is. That's something @abukari has charted in the past (and may have in 2020).

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I have half of that. I don't know anything about specific play calls. Couldn't tell you what an inverted veer is. That's something @abukari has charted in the past (and may have in 2020).

haha awesome - well it was a shot in the dark
was just wondering whether a thought i was having about dobbins and lamar was confirmation bias or not (but i guess ill have to do my own work rather than rely on your freely given amazing work lol)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Inverted veer is essentially the read option where the rb takes the edge and Lamar goes up the gut.

for examples, you can probably look at any of Lamar’s big designed runs, same for dobbins lol, or watch OSU film last year as that was a main staple for them with dobbins. It’s been our most dangerous play this year

Last edited: